Worried about the fact I do no extracurricular activities...

Watch
sophieisdecent
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Ever since I started secondary school, I haven't participated in any extracurricular activities, or just general activities outside of school. Now, I'm in year 11, and I'm worrying because, by the time I start applying for universities, I'll have barely anything in terms of extracurricular stuff.

I'm too anxious to start participating in anything now because social situations with mostly unfamiliar people cause intense anxiety to the point that I come off as rude and/or stupid and give off a bad impression.

Also, if I did join something (in terms of when things aren't socially distanced), it'd be a hassle, and possibly impossible, to get there, due to a lack of transport available to me (I'd rather not explain it; it's a bit complicated).

I really want to improve my social skills because I'm considering a career in the police, since I've had an interest in crime for a while now, so I'd need to have good social skills. However, I'm worried that, now, I'm already too late in joining in on some extracurriculars and improving my social skills.

I'm too embarrassed to talk to people IRL about it, because I act normal/confident in front of familiar people. I've talked about my social ineptitude in some of my counselling sessions, but the tips my counsellor gave me are things that I just can't do.

Honestly, this is really stressing me out and I don't know what to do...

I can't even stop myself from thinking about how I'm just going to fail at everything because I'm a socially inept mess of a person who's too afraid to participate in anything because I can't just forget about it or distract myself.

I can't take this for much longer.
V℮rsions
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
UK universities don't really care about extra curricular activities when deciding offers :yy:

Always good to push out of your comfort zone and start something tho, helps the anxiety and gives confidence (I recommend a MMA or something which gives you physical confidence and security)
AHKS
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
You still have plenty of time (2 years) to build up things for uni applications in year 13 so don't worry yet. How about considering something over the summer like NCS (national citizenship service - do a Google search) it is subsidised and there are 2 routes this summer so you can be remote too. Other good options are army/airforce/navy cadet groups, or if you enjoy any particular sports those groups, or singing/music. If you feel really anxious is there anything a friend or family member does you could join in with?
one_two_three
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Have a look in your local area at what is available. It can be quite an anxious experience joining a new group but I find that a majority are really welcoming because you all have a common reason for being there by choice.

And for future job applications, whatever you apply for you are going to need some sort of experience. Every single application asks for examples of skills and every interview asks for these as well. When you get to university it is so easy to join extra curricular activities. In your first week you will walk around a massive hall and everyone club and sports team will be there trying to get you to sign up. And most of these clubs and teams have zero expectation of any experience.

So you do need some experience at some point, but you have 5 years to get it.
Asha_m
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
You don't have to do any clubs which actually involve speaking to other people. I'm not too keen on social interaction myself, so I took part during GCSE years in charity work by simply delivering food to homeless people. However I would suggest for you to actually join a club like a debating team, just to help with confidence.
chazwomaq
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
You don't need extracurriculars for university applications, except for some courses e.g. healthcare that require relevant work experience. Universities care about subjects and grades.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How do you prefer to get careers advice?

I like to speak to my friends and family (8)
10.39%
I like to do my own research online using careers specific websites (50)
64.94%
I like speaking to the careers advisors at school, college or uni (11)
14.29%
I prefer to listen watch videos or listen to podcasts of people in my chosen career (7)
9.09%
Something else (let us know in the thread) (1)
1.3%

Watched Threads