Revamping classification of British university degree results.

Watch
thinker69
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
I strongly believe there is a need for more detailed classifications especially as significantly more university students are achieving first class degree.

According to latest articles published nearly 40% of students are achieving first class degrees especially in engineering, maths and sciences. This number is even higher at some institutions for particular courses. Contrasting, to countries like Singapore and other Asian universities the top grade is awarded to approximately 10-15% students from a cohort.

In addition, the current vague classification such as 2.1 doesn’t differentiate two students with 61% and 69%. Since many top institutions require a high 2.1 (65%+) for their Masters Programmes, I believe it’s time to leave the tradition and embrace a method that will differentiate best student from the good.

My proposed system:
80%+ = 1a
75%+ = 1b
70%+ = 1c
65%+ = 2a
60%+ = 2b
55%+ = 2c
50%+ = 3a
45%+ = 3b
40%+ = 3c
Blow 40 = Fail

Your take?
Last edited by thinker69; 4 weeks ago
FlatearthFTW
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
It is not so hard to distinguish between different degrees that have the same classification. For postgraduate applications, universities look at transcripts and also course rep - degrees with the same marks from different unis would not have the same value. In essence, what you're asking for is a uniform grading system which sounds like a tedious, unnecessary exercise.
Last edited by FlatearthFTW; 4 weeks ago
tartar_sauce
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Grade inflation in some places is the issue. At Cambridge, firsts are usually 68%-75%. For other places, 85% as a year average is indeed possible.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

If you haven't confirmed your firm and insurance choices yet, why is that?

I don't want to decide until I've received all my offers (129)
34.96%
I am waiting until the deadline in case anything in my life changes (49)
13.28%
I am waiting until the deadline in case something in the world changes (ie. pandemic-related) (22)
5.96%
I am waiting until I can see the unis in person (36)
9.76%
I still have more questions before I made my decision (49)
13.28%
No reason, just haven't entered it yet (43)
11.65%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (41)
11.11%

Watched Threads