The Student Room Group

help with EPQ about CRISPR

bb
(edited 1 year ago)
hello! im also doing an EPQ at the moment, which is due in september. i was also very behind, because lockdown 3 meant i was very unmotivated in everything, especially my EPQ. we were meant to start researching back in november/december time, but by the end of february i only had 2 sources and knew basically nothing about my topic, when everyone else basically had more than 10 sources and had begun planning their essay already.

what really helped me was spending more time planning rather than doing actual work. once id realised i was so so behind in it, i spent like half an hour making a GANTT chart which allowed me to see how much time i had left to complete it, and then gave myself small, manageable deadlines for my work. For example, i gave myself half a month extra of just researching, with the intention of starting writing in the easter holidays. once id done this chart, i felt a lot less panicky about deadlines set by the school, and basically allowed me to work on the epq with the reassurance that id get it done on time.

im not sure when your epq is due or where youre at with your own deadlines, but im still a little behind on mine too. its the second week of the easter holidays for me, only started planning a few days ago, i have 0 words written down, and my school has asked for me to provide 2000 words by next week. its a little scary, but im not really that stressed because, really, anyone can write a 5000 word essay in like a few days, as long as they have a solid plan and know what they want to write. im spending time at the moment just by planning out my essay in depth. my epq question is evaluating which of 4 factors are the most significant, so my target is 1000 words per factor. so, i make a mindmap for each factor and just write down everything that i already know (from research etc) and highlight what i want to research further. thats essentially how i went from 3 sources to almost 20 in a couple of weeks: lots of mindmaps and brain dumps onto paper, which helped me pick out areas where i want to research more into. i guess with your topic, as its also a science based one like mine, it would be easier to find areas you could go into.

obviously everyone has different ways of learning and getting down ideas, but this is just what helped me. ive only planned for 1 factor so far, but because of how many ideas i have for that factor, i guess i could reach 1000 words for that factor alone. also something that my teachers have advised about writing: its okay to not write everything down in the order your final essay is going to be. start with the bits youre most confident in. the point of having drafts is being able to go in and edit them at a later point. i hope this helps, i realise ive written a lot lmaoo but good luck to you! im sure youll be able to do it (: (also like this whole reply is already 500 words so like 2000 words? easy...)
Reply 2
Original post by neatbae.seneca
gg

nmnn
(edited 1 year ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending