The Student Room Group

Hardest topic in Further Maths

What would you guys/girls say is the hardest topic in Further Maths?
Reply 1
I've noticed that students can find number theory and groups very hard because they are quite different to the rest of A Level maths/FM but it's not part of core pure so depending on your options you may not do it.
(edited 3 years ago)
I really struggled with Matrices
Original post by Notnek
I've noticed that students can find number theory and groups very hard because they are quite different to the rest of A Level maths/FM but it's not part of core pure so depending on your options you may not do it.

Oh I see, I don't think we are doing that module in my school luckily :smile:
Original post by Theloniouss
I really struggled with Matrices

Yeahh some of the questions on matrices can really be annoying
Reply 5
I had a terrible time with modelling with differential equations and conic sections, although I think a large part of that was due to my terrible attendance at the time. Matrices also got a bit beyond me at first (not the core matrices, the FP2 matrices), but they're not too bad once you take the time to think it all through.
Reply 6
Original post by Black Sensei
Oh I see, I don't think we are doing that module in my school luckily :smile:

Which options/exam board are you doing?
Original post by Interea
I had a terrible time with modelling with differential equations and conic sections, although I think a large part of that was due to my terrible attendance at the time. Matrices also got a bit beyond me at first (not the core matrices, the FP2 matrices), but they're not too bad once you take the time to think it all through.

Yeahh I'm currently going over some of that now :smile:
Original post by Notnek
Which options/exam board are you doing?

Edexcel - Mechanics and Statistics are the options
Reply 9
Original post by Black Sensei
Edexcel - Mechanics and Statistics are the options

In that case chi-squared tests - they're easy to do once you know how, but that chapter of the Edexcel textbook is so long and wordy, it was an absolute nightmare to slog my way through last week :lol:
Original post by Interea
In that case chi-squared tests - they're easy to do once you know how, but that chapter of the Edexcel textbook is so long and wordy, it was an absolute nightmare to slog my way through last week :lol:

chi squared tests are so minor, the only thing i found hard was further mech
Original post by rice420
chi squared tests are so minor, the only thing i found hard was further mech

They're definitely easy, the textbook is just so badly written that it seems awful at first!
Original post by Interea

Ah I see :smile: The Edexcel textbooks have a habit of being really wordy for some reason

Quick Reply

Latest