I am stressed about what degree to choose!

Watch
georgiac2
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Hi,
I am a year 12 currently which means by the end of this year I will have applied to university however, I really am stuck between two different career paths; both of which are my dreams but I am finding it hard to narrow it down to one path.
The first path is my ultimate dream of becoming an actor of which I would go and get an acting degree and then move to the states and then take any role that comes up and hopefully make something of it (I know it's a lot harder than that but I'm shortening it down ). However, there is something holding me back; it isn't a very stable career and there isn't a steady income and that kinda stresses me out and my brain is telling me that I'm not good enough so won't make it, and plus the pandemic has had an impact of the arts an awful lot understandably and there are so many actors out there who have been unemployed or not had a role in over a year and the sound of that situation to me stresses me out ( but we don't know what the industry will look like in a few years time) and I know for a fact that my mum wouldn't be all too happy with me picking the acting degree as I have been set on law for a while now and I know it isn't her life but I still do appreciate her approval as I want to make her proud.
The second path is going to university to study law, I got into UNIQ and I was so excited so part of me is thinking that going and getting a law degree would be a better fit for me and then after I graduate I would move to the states to work in Real Estate and then helping with the contracting side of things to. I like the financial security of this job and find law and real estate super interesting and I could set my own company through this stream of work which is (for this path) the end dream.

I have thought about going and doing a law degree and alongside that degree taking some acting classes and then maybe when I move signing with a talent agency and maybe migrate jobs but would that be a waste of my time and should I just jump straight in

As you can see I am very conflicted so any help on what to do would be great.
Drogonmeister
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by georgiac2)
Hi,
I am a year 12 currently which means by the end of this year I will have applied to university however, I really am stuck between two different career paths; both of which are my dreams but I am finding it hard to narrow it down to one path.
The first path is my ultimate dream of becoming an actor of which I would go and get an acting degree and then move to the states and then take any role that comes up and hopefully make something of it (I know it's a lot harder than that but I'm shortening it down ). However, there is something holding me back; it isn't a very stable career and there isn't a steady income and that kinda stresses me out and my brain is telling me that I'm not good enough so won't make it, and plus the pandemic has had an impact of the arts an awful lot understandably and there are so many actors out there who have been unemployed or not had a role in over a year and the sound of that situation to me stresses me out ( but we don't know what the industry will look like in a few years time) and I know for a fact that my mum wouldn't be all too happy with me picking the acting degree as I have been set on law for a while now and I know it isn't her life but I still do appreciate her approval as I want to make her proud.
The second path is going to university to study law, I got into UNIQ and I was so excited so part of me is thinking that going and getting a law degree would be a better fit for me and then after I graduate I would move to the states to work in Real Estate and then helping with the contracting side of things to. I like the financial security of this job and find law and real estate super interesting and I could set my own company through this stream of work which is (for this path) the end dream.

I have thought about going and doing a law degree and alongside that degree taking some acting classes and then maybe when I move signing with a talent agency and maybe migrate jobs but would that be a waste of my time and should I just jump straight in

I am in the same sort of boat. I am going to uni to study dentistry to set a stable foundation for my future and then will try to pursue another career path/hobby of mine. I think your situation is slightly different as acting is a whole different career.

Acting (note: I don't know much about the career or course structure) is something which I would say you could do part time or study on your own. Arnold Schwarzenegger did sort of the same thing where he worked in construction and went to acting classes in his free time. You don't have to do exactly that but you see the idea.

Law is an amazing course with extremely high potential, but you have to go to uni and study for a significant amount of time. Acting on the other hand can be done without as many qualifications.

I hoped this has helped or given you another viewpoint to look at! (I strongly suggest you watch/listen to Arnold's story though! It is very inspirational!)
kate_k_
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by georgiac2)
Hi,

Only you know what to do, no one will tell you the answer. Your life is yours and it's your responsibility to accomplish your wishes. I think you need more research in finding out what's right for you. Maybe consider a gap year!

From what I know the film industry is hard to get into, so you can't shift responsibility of getting a job in acting onto a single university path. There are many ways into film besides university. Analyze what you love and fall in love with the craft and not the idea of the craft, as many people do. Analyze what you loved in your childhood and there lies your answer.

In conclusion I would recommend to keep an open mind, keep researching and asking people who are in the field. Test different hypotheses and don't give up. You're the author of your life and you can make your dreams come true, just be smart about it, get into the network, get the skill, do what you choose to do and what you love. You got this.
McGinger
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Go to University.
Get involved in University/student theatre.
Take a show to Edinburgh and do all those fun things.

Graduate. By that point you will know if you are any good as a performer, and you will have also sampled Dentistry/Law/whatever and decided if its the career for you or not.

The point is that you don't have to make a binary choice right now - for the next three/four years you have the chance to do both.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How do you prefer to get careers advice?

I like to speak to my friends and family (8)
10.39%
I like to do my own research online using careers specific websites (50)
64.94%
I like speaking to the careers advisors at school, college or uni (11)
14.29%
I prefer to listen watch videos or listen to podcasts of people in my chosen career (7)
9.09%
Something else (let us know in the thread) (1)
1.3%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise