DPat1210
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
My college has been making their own grades to assess my a level maths. Working at a consistent 55% of full marks i am working at a D, however looking at the 2018 and 2019 grade boundaries i should be working at a grade B. I'm really worried that I might not get a C or higher as my final grade as a result
cloudymood
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Hi,
Try to firstly address your college about this and why they may assess their grades differently, maybe you'll get a bit of clarity there. I would try to maybe do more past papers for teachers to mark so you can prove to them you are better than a D. Plus its very weird for them to not follow your exam board's grade boundaries.
MO0NCHILDRM
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by DPat1210)
My college has been making their own grades to assess my a level maths. Working at a consistent 55% of full marks i am working at a D, however looking at the 2018 and 2019 grade boundaries i should be working at a grade B. I'm really worried that I might not get a C or higher as my final grade as a result
i suspect your school might be using grade boundaries based on the questions they've used, so in my college they sort of gather all the papers they used and find an average, or they may be making markschemes based on competition in your college, either way discuss it with a teacher and find out why, they might not use these grades for your predicted grade or you might be doing AS which naturally has higher grade boundaries
Aeulia
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
well how did the rest of ur year do? if 55% is a D then the paper must be pretty easy
mnot
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Grade boundaries fluctuate, generally it’s the teachers job to make the academic judgment of what score relates to what grade.

If you wish to understand their judgment I suggest you request a meeting with the teacher to discuss this.
McGinger
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Discuss with relevant teachers when you get back to school after Easter.
They are the only people who can offer any guidance on this.
Breward
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
This happened to my brother. He got 58% in his A level mock and this was assessed as a C grade (when 55% was an A grade in 2019 when I took A level maths). He was awarded a CAG of a C and lost his university place (they insisted on a B for maths). After 5 weeks prep he took the October A level and got 69% ( a grade A... only 2% off an A star). He will take up his university place in September now.

His school royally stuffed him up!
McGinger
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Breward)
His school royally stuffed him up.
I think you'll find the situation with A level grades both last year and this year was not the school's making but the government's.
Schools are merely enacting the decisions - if you feel like complaining to someone, try Gavin Williamson.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How do you prefer to get careers advice?

I like to speak to my friends and family (8)
10.53%
I like to do my own research online using careers specific websites (50)
65.79%
I like speaking to the careers advisors at school, college or uni (11)
14.47%
I prefer to listen watch videos or listen to podcasts of people in my chosen career (6)
7.89%
Something else (let us know in the thread) (1)
1.32%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed