A level options- Psych, Drama, sociology, politics, RS?

Watch
A_benaissa
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
So im picking my A level and im still unsure on what i exactly want to study. At GCSE my 3 options were Drama, Sociology and Geography. Im predicted relatively high grades for them but im not keen on the physical element of geography. I also enjoy RS but im worried it will get complicated and boring. I like the ides politics and think it would be beneficial as i want to study law/ Criminology. Did anyone really dislike any of these subjects?
samcarolinx
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
for law there isn't any set subjects that you have to do as long as they are A Levels only a few accept btecs and combinations. i also am thinking of law too and I've looked at universities and they don't care about subjects as long as you score highly on them also they like it if you have some essay based subjects, but then again most a levels are.
A_benaissa
Rep:
?
(Original post by samcarolinx)
for law there isn't any set subjects that you have to do as long as they are A Levels only a few accept btecs and combinations. i also am thinking of law too and I've looked at universities and they don't care about subjects as long as you score highly on them also they like it if you have some essay based subjects, but then again most a levels are.
Yhh thanks
What A levels are you thinking of taking?
samcarolinx
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by A_benaissa)
Yhh thanks
What A levels are you thinking of taking?
a level psychology a level sociology and a level media studies
x_cait13_x
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
So im picking my A level and im still unsure on what i exactly want to study. At GCSE my 3 options were Drama, Sociology and Geography. Im predicted relatively high grades for them but im not keen on the physical element of geography. I also enjoy RS but im worried it will get complicated and boring. I like the ides politics and think it would be beneficial as i want to study law/ Criminology. Did anyone really dislike any of these subjects?
Hi I'm a year 13 student in my last year of a levels and I'm going to be studying law with criminology in September either at Cardiff or Worcester. I chose at GCSE history, RS and Spanish which I had really high grades so I continued on with history and RS for A level but I was quite lucky that I got to do criminology with them. For me RS wasn't boring as I loved it at GCSE which I got an A* and predicted an A at A2. I studied philosophy, ethics and Christianity. I found it really interesting with the debates regarding certain topics that helped me develop skills for law, which did benefit me with my application of how I linked the subject to why I would be good for the course. If you don't enjoy something about a subject don't pick it as it could drive you through hell, pick the ones you have an interest for and what subjects are best. But someone in my history class who's doing law with English literature does geography A level so it can go either way. Politics would be good for you regarding the law aspect, if you pick sociology that will go hand in hand with criminology. I didn't decide on law with criminology until April last year as I wanted to be an RS teacher but due to Covid the way teachers were being treated, it put me off so I want to be a barrister. What I'm getting at is whatever you pick at A level doesn't always matter, in some cases they look good on paper and universities love certain ones but doing those A levels aren't step in stone for your career. It is highly flexible, do the subjects you are comfortable with and know what you are good at. Don't do a subject if you don't want to or friends are because you will waste your time.
A_benaissa
Rep:
?
(Original post by x_cait13_x)
Hi I'm a year 13 student in my last year of a levels and I'm going to be studying law with criminology in September either at Cardiff or Worcester. I chose at GCSE history, RS and Spanish which I had really high grades so I continued on with history and RS for A level but I was quite lucky that I got to do criminology with them. For me RS wasn't boring as I loved it at GCSE which I got an A* and predicted an A at A2. I studied philosophy, ethics and Christianity. I found it really interesting with the debates regarding certain topics that helped me develop skills for law, which did benefit me with my application of how I linked the subject to why I would be good for the course. If you don't enjoy something about a subject don't pick it as it could drive you through hell, pick the ones you have an interest for and what subjects are best. But someone in my history class who's doing law with English literature does geography A level so it can go either way. Politics would be good for you regarding the law aspect, if you pick sociology that will go hand in hand with criminology. I didn't decide on law with criminology until April last year as I wanted to be an RS teacher but due to Covid the way teachers were being treated, it put me off so I want to be a barrister. What I'm getting at is whatever you pick at A level doesn't always matter, in some cases they look good on paper and universities love certain ones but doing those A levels aren't step in stone for your career. It is highly flexible, do the subjects you are comfortable with and know what you are good at. Don't do a subject if you don't want to or friends are because you will waste your time.
Omgg thank you so much that really helped! Good luck at uni!
A_benaissa
Rep:
?
(Original post by samcarolinx)
a level psychology a level sociology and a level media studies
ooooo, how is media studies?
samcarolinx
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
ooooo, how is media studies?
I'm not actually sure i went to my schools virtual open evening and i liked it

i start sixth form in September
McGinger
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
For Law you need 3 high grades in any 3 subjects - so it makes sense to pick the subjects you enjoy the most and where you feel confident of those high grades.

Any essay-based subject is useful just for text/writing skills. Many people find Politics gives you useful background knowledge for Law, as does RE if you are taking the Ethics/Philosophy paper. BUT - neither are essential. Pick the subjects that you enjoy.
A_benaissa
Rep:
?
(Original post by McGinger)
For Law you need 3 high grades in any 3 subjects - so it makes sense to pick the subjects you enjoy the most and where you feel confident of those high grades.

Any essay-based subject is useful just for text/writing skills. Many people find Politics gives you useful background knowledge for Law, as does RE if you are taking the Ethics/Philosophy paper. BUT - neither are essential. Pick the subjects that you enjoy.
Yh thank youu. I think my final 3 will be psychology, RS and Sociology and politics but i'll drop the one i dislike the most. I do enjoy Sociology and RS and have an interest in all of them. But i know 3 essay subjects will be hard so i thought of doing Drama but idk how that would be like compared to the GCSE.
x_cait13_x
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Omgg thank you so much that really helped! Good luck at uni!
Thank you and all the best. A levels aren't the easiest, it is stressful but that's what life is, keep thinking about what your gonna get out of it for your future. It's well worth it in the end and I wish you the best of luck.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How do you prefer to get careers advice?

I like to speak to my friends and family (15)
12.82%
I like to do my own research online using careers specific websites (73)
62.39%
I like speaking to the careers advisors at school, college or uni (14)
11.97%
I prefer to listen watch videos or listen to podcasts of people in my chosen career (12)
10.26%
Something else (let us know in the thread) (3)
2.56%

Watched Threads