Do you carry cash?

Watch this thread
Flance
Badges: 3
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
No, as I have a debit card. It seems that carrying cash is kind of archaic, some still do though. But, there are changes of losing or dropping it, and not being able to retrieve it, whereas if you lose your card, you could easily call your bank and get it cancelled.
username5129378
Badges: 19
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 year ago
I carry change :getmecoat:
Scienceisgood
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
I carry it but only in case I need it (no more than £50 -£100 though). That and also if I have card trouble which has happened on the very odd occasion.

Always try and use cards now, purely because it is safer health wise given the current climate and I don’t need to worry about change.
Callicious
Badges: 22
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
Depends on what I'm doing. Day to day around town? Only a few euros for if I need to grab a trolley (they accept £, but with a euro I can leave it in and some poor soul will think they got lucky finding a £, only to find a euro!)

If I go hiking I keep ~£100 on me in case I go somewhere without an ATM or need emergency cash, like for a taxi/etc.
Smeraldettoi
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
Yeah I agree; carrying cash seems rather pointless these days when pretty much everything is contactless. The only time I do get it out is if I need to give sthg to church or to the homeless
Zarek
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
No doubt the pandemic has given card and phone paying a massive boost. I imagine the days of cash are numbered but it will be around for a little longer
Max1989
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
Always have enough for a bus/taxi if I need to get somewhere quick and don't have my cards on me, but no, only use cash for the barbers and nights out, so currently have collected £43.20 in coins that I just keep adding to each time I go out. You could question why I don't deposit it but it'll find use, just have to remember I have it rather than taking out a note from the cash machine each time.
jenerous
Badges: 17
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
Yes, I do. And I wouldn't call it 'archaic', it's actually quite practical.
Reue
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
I've seen the card processing facility go down too many times to risk not having cash on me at all times.
Jack22031994
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Flance)
No, as I have a debit card. It seems that carrying cash is kind of archaic, some still do though. But, there are changes of losing or dropping it, and not being able to retrieve it, whereas if you lose your card, you could easily call your bank and get it cancelled.
I always have about £20 in cash on me just incase all 3 cards stop working for whatever reason or of a places card machine breaks.Too many times Ive had the 'Sorry our machine is broken so we can only take cash.'
Last edited by Jack22031994; 1 year ago
anosmianAcrimony
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
Sometimes I carry cash.

If I get mugged tonight I’ll know who did it.
Krsto
Badges: 12
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
Not at all since covid tbh!
londonmyst
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
Yes.
martin7
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
I've never known banknotes and coins have technical problems that prevent them being accepted; but that's not true for card payment systems. My wallet contains cash; a Visa debit card; and Visa, Mastercard and Amex credit cards.

I always think it's a bit odd to pay for something costing less than a fiver with anything other than cash.
NonIndigenous
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
I still did not long ago, before the lockdown. I would typically use my card only in the same large and trusted retail outlets. I would use cash in small newsagents, kiosks, and that sort of stuff. Minimises the probability of my card details getting stolen.

Rationale: I'd rather get mugged off £20, than have my card details stolen.
Last edited by NonIndigenous; 1 year ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Year 12s - where are you at with making decisions about university?

I’ve chosen my course and my university (10)
32.26%
I’ve chosen my course and shortlisted some universities (11)
35.48%
I’ve chosen my course, but not any universities (2)
6.45%
I’ve chosen my university, but not my course (1)
3.23%
I’ve shortlisted some universities, but not my course (2)
6.45%
I’m starting to consider my university options (4)
12.9%
I haven’t started thinking about university yet (0)
0%
I’m not planning on going to university (1)
3.23%

Watched Threads