The Student Room Group

Someone explain credit cards to me please

I’m embarrassed to say that I’m 20 years old and actually don’t know what a credit card is/what it’s used for/how it’s different from a debit card.

I’ve been using debit to pay for items for years now and I’ve come across a website that only accepts credit cards for payment. I have no idea where to begin with this. Is it something that I can just apply for with no extra costs? Can it be used in the same way as a debit card?

Scroll to see replies

Credit cards are topped up with 'borrowed money'. So you have to pay it back.

They're advantages are various types of payment insurance (or whatever tf it is called, I don't remember)... so if the money you spent with a credit card is the result of a scam, it is insured, and you will get it back (for example). So, credit cards are good if you're planning to travel abroad to risky places where lots of locals working in restaurants try to steal your card details to pay for their house refurbishments or new furniture (these are pretty typical scenarios).

But the disadvantages are that if you're shyt with finances, you'll be even more shyt with finances when you get a credit card, and end up bankrupt... because the interest rate is something like 20% or more usually. It is 0% if you pay it back within a certain time period. If you don't pay it back within that time period, then it's down the rabbit hole of indentured servitude.
(edited 3 years ago)
I've never heard of a company that only accepts credit cards as payment...

Use moneysavingexpert to find out more about credit cards
Reply 3
Original post by NonIndigenous
Credit cards are topped up with 'borrowed money'. So you have to pay it back.

They're advantages are various types of payment insurance (or whatever tf it is called, I don't remember)... so if the money you spent with a credit card is the result of a scam, it is insured, and you will get it back (for example). So, credit cards are good if you're planning to travel abroad to risky places where lots of locals working in restaurants try to steal your card details to pay for their house refurbishments or new furniture (these are pretty typical scenarios).

But the disadvantages are that if you're shyt with finances, you'll be even more shyt with finances when you get a credit card, and end up bankrupt... because the interest rate is something like 20% or more usually. It is 0% if you pay it back within a certain time period. If you don't pay it back within that time period, then it's down the rabbit hole of indentured servitude.

I see! How does this actually work? Like say if I applied for a credit card (I’m not sure if this is a simple process in itself or if I need like a background check or something lol), can it be used like a debit card? Like do I actually have to deposit money into it first and then I can use it to pay online? I’m not familiar with this whole concept of borrowed money outside of my student debt lmao.
Reply 4
Original post by Anonymous
I've never heard of a company that only accepts credit cards as payment...

Use moneysavingexpert to find out more about credit cards

From what I know, it’s a really credible website. I’m not sure if it being based overseas has something to do with it, though I don’t understand why they wouldn’t allow debit also..
Reply 5
I’m embarrassed to say that I’m 20 years old and actually don’t know what a credit card is/what it’s used for/how it’s different from a debit card.

I’ve been using debit to pay for items for years now and I’ve come across a website that only accepts credit cards for payment. I have no idea where to begin with this. Is it something that I can just apply for with no extra costs? Can it be used in the same way as a debit card?

Which website is that? A credit card is where u purchase stuff on credit, i.e. using borrowed funds. No company would specify what kind of card you can and can't use
Original post by Krsto
Which website is that? A credit card is where u purchase stuff on credit, i.e. using borrowed funds. No company would specify what kind of card you can and can't use

Plenty places use credit cards as proof of age. Companies also may only process certain types of card, Visa, Mastercard ect.
(edited 3 years ago)
I see! How does this actually work? Like say if I applied for a credit card (I’m not sure if this is a simple process in itself or if I need like a background check or something lol), can it be used like a debit card? Like do I actually have to deposit money into it first and then I can use it to pay online? I’m not familiar with this whole concept of borrowed money outside of my student debt lmao.

In terms of day to day use, a credit card looks and works like a debit card, cash points, pin number, pay online contactless in shops ect.

The 'credit' part is basically a contract with the bank/lender that if requested, they will lend you up to an agreed sum/limit and you will get a bill for the purchase/s in about a month from your credit card company, if you pay it all off within the month there is generally no charge, past a month most of them start adding a small % of interest on the debt each month till you clear it.

Yu would need to be ID and credit checked to open one, they'll want to know about your existing finances and income (so they know what you can afford to borrow and pay back)

IMO it's always handy to have at least 1 just in case of emergencies & tough times, but they can easily get on top of you and you end up paying far more interest of the debt than the debt itself.
See the bank where you have a debit card? Look at the information that they provide about how their credit card operates.

And, no, its not like a debit card that bills your bank account at the point of purchase (debiting it) . You are given a credit (i.e. Loan) and a timeframe to pay it back and potentially pay interest on it.

Shockingly I've never actually had one. I have other 'security measures' in place on my accounts, that largely make the extra perks of credit cards redundant to me. I've never had any money scammed off me, or stolen in any other way by strangers (not counting family bs crap and drama). And I don't go on expensive trips abroad particularly much, or to risky parts of the world. Not planning to either in the near future with Covid going on and governments always changing travel rules.

Now with Brexit though, I might consider getting a credit if I plan travel to Europe. Credit cards do not normally incur additional charges abroad for their use (whereas debit cards sometimes/often do). Don't know yet.

To my understanding, credit cards work almost identically to debit cards. Except you do not 'deposit' money into them. The card is linked to your main bank account in some way. Your bank gives you the card with say £5000 on it. Then you use it like a debit card. Then you have to pay the money back within a month. You can set up direct debit to do this, so it gets paid back automatically without you having to remember it.

Google or even YouTube will give you better/more succinct advice on this. Try YouTube. I can usually find almost anything I need there.

Getting a credit card for it's own sake, just as a "rite of passage" or whatever, isn't worth it. Evaluate the pros and cons and make a tactical decision if it's worth it.
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by NonIndigenous
Shockingly I've never actually had one. I have other 'security measures' in place on my accounts, that largely make the extra perks of credit cards redundant to me. I've never had any money scammed off me, or stolen in any other way by strangers (not counting family bs crap and drama).

The main benefit of credit cards is the "section 75" protection. This refers to Section 75 of the Consumer Credit Act 1974 (https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1974/39/section/75) which makes the credit card supplier liable for misrepresentation or breach of contract. This is particularly helpful where a supplier goes out of business, as it allows you to claim against the card company.

Now with Brexit though, I might consider getting a credit if I plan travel to Europe. Credit cards do not normally incur additional charges abroad for their use (whereas debit cards sometimes/often do). Don't know yet.

You need to check the terms and conditions. Most credit and debit cards charge foreign usage fees; either a flat per-transaction fee, or a percentage fee, or both. The bank also makes some money on the exchange rate. (I got my Halifax card before a trip abroad specifically because they don't (currently) charge foreign transaction fees; but that's very much exception.)

To my understanding, credit cards work almost identically to debit cards. Except you do not 'deposit' money into them. The card is linked to your main bank account in some way. Your bank gives you the card with say £5000 on it. Then you use it like a debit card. Then you have to pay the money back within a month. You can set up direct debit to do this, so it gets paid back automatically without you having to remember it.

A credit card isn't linked to your main bank account. (I have a Halifax credit card, but no bank accounts with Halifax. I have an Amex credit card. Amex don't do bank accounts.)

The bank doesn't "give you a card with say £5000" on it. You get a card with a credit limit. That's the maximum amount you can owe the bank with that card. Each month they send a statement saying what you owe. Ideally, you pay the full balance; but if you don't, they charge you interest on the amount outstanding. You don't have to pay the money back within a month. (Though obviously it's a good idea to do so.)

You're right that you can (and should) set up a direct debit to make the payments; but that can be attached to any current account, not just one with the same bank.
Reply 11
Original post by StriderHort
Plenty places use credit cards as proof of age. Companies also may only process certain types of card, Visa, Mastercard ect.

As proof of age maybe, but they certainly wouldn't turn away a payment from a debit card. That's absurd. Visa and Mastercard also issue debit cards...

Credit cards have an advantage for things like hotel bookings and car hire. In some cases, hotels and car hire companies put an authorisation hold for a significant amount on your card. On a credit card where you have decent amount of spare credit available, this isn't generally a problem (it prevents you from spending money that's not yours). On a debit card it can reduce your available balance (it blocks you from spending money that is yours) and hence causes problems.
Original post by Krsto
As proof of age maybe, but they certainly wouldn't turn away a payment from a debit card. That's absurd. Visa and Mastercard also issue debit cards...

I mean they may only accept Visa or Mastercard as all merchants don't accept all cards and do make choices about what cards they accept for their own reasons. Many of them charge different transaction %s so there is competition.

Debit cards being accepted online/phone/stores is still pretty recent compared to Credit cards btw, for a long time they were the only option and 'Bank' cards were for ATMs and bank branches only. Merchants accepting early debit Switch/Solo cards didn't always have the same guarantee of getting paid as with Credit Cards so didn't take them.
Original post by martin7
Credit cards have an advantage for things like hotel bookings and car hire. In some cases, hotels and car hire companies put an authorisation hold for a significant amount on your card. On a credit card where you have decent amount of spare credit available, this isn't generally a problem (it prevents you from spending money that's not yours). On a debit card it can reduce your available balance (it blocks you from spending money that is yours) and hence causes problems.

Exactly, if you tried to book services like hotels, cars, ect with a debit card you'd often run into issues.
Reply 15
I mean they may only accept Visa or Mastercard as all merchants don't accept all cards and do make choices about what cards they accept for their own reasons. Many of them charge different transaction %s so there is competition.

Debit cards being accepted online/phone/stores is still pretty recent compared to Credit cards btw, for a long time they were the only option and 'Bank' cards were for ATMs and bank branches only. Merchants accepting early debit Switch/Solo cards didn't always have the same guarantee of getting paid as with Credit Cards so didn't take them.

Yes but the OP's question wasn't about whether places accept cards from certain providers but whether they distinguish between credit and debit cards when accepting payment. And never have I encountered that in nearly 10 years of using a debit card for most of my transactions
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by Krsto
Yes but the OP's question wasn't about whether places accept cards from certain providers but whether they distinguish between credit and debit cards when accepting payment. And never have I encountered that in nearly 10 years of using a debit card for most of my transactions

I have encountered it in 20+ years of using both and working for banks and retailers. *shrug* It might be rare but it's not as absurd as you appear to claim.

The last time I came across a business that accepted only one of Visa or Mastercard ("Access":wink: was about 30 years ago. (It was a small business that sold TVs that my parents used to deal with. I can't remember the exact reason why they took one and not the other, but they had a good reason for it.)

The situation may well be different in other countries, but in the UK I'd be surprised to find anywhere these days that would only take one or other of Visa and Mastercard and not both.

(If you want to throw American Express into the mix, then there are a lot of business that won't accept Amex. That said, Amex is more commonly accepted than it once was.)

Debit cards are very much the new kid on the block, while credit cards have been around since the 1960s. I think Switch and Solo relied on online authorisation and hence can't be used in some situations, whereas credit cards can be used offline (originally using paper vouchers and carbon paper!)
Reply 18
I have encountered it in 20+ years of using both and working for banks and retailers. *shrug* It might be rare but it's not as absurd as you appear to claim.

You're dragging this out a bit, I'm just making the point that I've never encountered anything like what the OP is describing about a company accepting credit cards only . I do agree about what the other poster mentioned about paying for certain goods (I've experienced this for fuel payments in France) where they will hold a certain amount as a deposit and you won't be able to spend that money until the hold stops. Maybe it was different in the past, however.
Original post by martin7
The last time I came across a business that accepted only one of Visa or Mastercard ("Access":wink: was about 30 years ago. (It was a small business that sold TVs that my parents used to deal with. I can't remember the exact reason why they took one and not the other, but they had a good reason for it.)

The situation may well be different in other countries, but in the UK I'd be surprised to find anywhere these days that would only take one or other of Visa and Mastercard and not both.

(If you want to throw American Express into the mix, then there are a lot of business that won't accept Amex. That said, Amex is more commonly accepted than it once was.)

Debit cards are very much the new kid on the block, while credit cards have been around since the 1960s. I think Switch and Solo relied on online authorisation and hence can't be used in some situations, whereas credit cards can be used offline (originally using paper vouchers and carbon paper!)

I know at least 1 online retailer I use that won't deal with Mastercard/Maestro over their merchant/exemption policies (I don't want to share it here for pretty much the same reason MC won't touch it :tongue:) I certainly wouldn't claim it's common, but I do still see examples.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending