The Student Room Group

2021 Autumn resits for A Levels

My TAGs are unlikely to be the grades I need to apply for uni this year (I am taking a gap year and was planning to apply this year, rather than applying last year and deferring entry). I am hoping to take the resit/retake in October this year. My question is what grade will be sent with my UCAS application- if I had applied like normal, it would've been my predicteds, if I weren't resitting in Autumn, it would've been my TAGs. If I applied with my TAGs, that would be counter-productive as I do not want to apply with those grades. I can't seem to find any answers anywhere and am starting to feel quite anxious I'd appriciate any response!!
Reply 1
so your caption confused me lmao :rofl:

but i think i can help. last year i got my CAG’s in august (2020) but they weren’t good enough so i sat the autumn exams (2020) and then applied using those results this january(2021).
Original post by nooneeee
My TAGs are unlikely to be the grades I need to apply for uni this year (I am taking a gap year and was planning to apply this year, rather than applying last year and deferring entry). I am hoping to take the resit/retake in October this year. My question is what grade will be sent with my UCAS application- if I had applied like normal, it would've been my predicteds, if I weren't resitting in Autumn, it would've been my TAGs. If I applied with my TAGs, that would be counter-productive as I do not want to apply with those grades. I can't seem to find any answers anywhere and am starting to feel quite anxious I'd appriciate any response!!

If you wait until you get your results then you will be able to put down your Autumn results as well as your teacher assessed grades and it will be the Autumn results the Unis will base their offers on. But that will mean not being able to apply early.

For 2020 results ucas specified that applicants needed to declare CAGs as well as the (pending or received) autumn results.

It’s likely that the same will be true for 2021 (assuming that ofqual/dfe have confirmed that autumn exams will take place?).

Universities understand the difference between CAGs/TAGs and autumn exam results. Low TAGs won’t disadvantage you if you have pending exam results too.
Reply 4
Original post by sy!¡

but i think i can help. last year i got my CAG’s in august (2020) but they weren’t good enough so i sat the autumn exams (2020) and then applied using those results this january(2021).

Ah thank you, I wanted to know if I could apply with my autumn exam results for 2022 entry- as I'm taking a gap year, and haven't applied with deferred entry, I would be applying this autumn, but as that is the same time as the 'resits' I didn't know what grades would go into my UCAS and be sent to unis (usually it would've been my predicted grades if I were applying like normal without a gap year). I'm glad to hear you were able to apply using your autumn exam results! You say you applied in January this year- is that the normal deadline? Because the internal deadline was nov/dec I think (at my college) but the actual UCAS deadline is January for all I think? Or was the deadline for autumn exam takers extended so they can apply with their autumn exam grades? Also, can you choose which subjects to 'resit' or does it have to be all?
Reply 5
Original post by harrysbar
If you wait until you get your results then you will be able to put down your Autumn results as well as your teacher assessed grades and it will be the Autumn results the Unis will base their offers on. But that will mean not being able to apply early.

Ok, thanks! When you say I won't be able to apply early- I will still be able to apply for 2022 entry right? Just as I would if I didn't take Autumn exams? I don't want to have to take 2 gap years
See - https://www.ucas.com/advisers/managing-applications/2021-guidance-and-changes#entering-qualifications-in-apply-2021
for the 2020 autumn exam resit guidance from UCAS
"Autumn series: Students taking these exams in England should add the qualifications as ‘pending’ if they apply before they have the results they aren’t considered to be resits. If they received grades in summer 2020 that were certificated, they should also add these."

Both pending autumn results and CAGs had to be declared.
Reply 7
Original post by PQ
For 2020 results ucas specified that applicants needed to declare CAGs as well as the (pending or received) autumn results.

It’s likely that the same will be true for 2021 (assuming that ofqual/dfe have confirmed that autumn exams will take place?).

Universities understand the difference between CAGs/TAGs and autumn exam results. Low TAGs won’t disadvantage you if you have pending exam results too.

Thank you that clears it up! I think Autumn exams are going to take place- https://www.gov.uk/government/consultations/consultation-on-arrangements-for-an-autumn-2021-exam-series
I am glad to hear it won't be a disadvantage.
Usually when students apply during their gap year, as they already have their exam results they would get unconditional offers right? If I take the Autumn exams will that still happen? I'm assuming it depends if I get my Autumn results in time to send those grades off with my UCAS application?
Thank you that clears it up! I think Autumn exams are going to take place- https://www.gov.uk/government/consultations/consultation-on-arrangements-for-an-autumn-2021-exam-series
I am glad to hear it won't be a disadvantage.
Usually when students apply during their gap year, as they already have their exam results they would get unconditional offers right? If I take the Autumn exams will that still happen? I'm assuming it depends if I get my Autumn results in time to send those grades off with my UCAS application?

If you list your 2021 TAGs and your autumn 2021 results as pending then the Autumn results generally come through in December (and are passed on to UCAS and universities in late Jan/early Feb) - so your universities are more likely to make conditional offers if your results are still outstanding (or haven't yet been verified through UCAS) and will update them to unconditional once your results come through (assuming you meet the offer conditions)
Reply 9
Original post by PQ
If you list your 2021 TAGs and your autumn 2021 results as pending then the Autumn results generally come through in December (and are passed on to UCAS and universities in late Jan/early Feb) - so your universities are more likely to make conditional offers if your results are still outstanding (or haven't yet been verified through UCAS) and will update them to unconditional once your results come through (assuming you meet the offer conditions)

really? i only declared my autumn resit grades. i didn’t declare my CAG’s at all.
Original post by sy!¡
really? i only declared my autumn resit grades. i didn’t declare my CAG’s at all.

You should have
https://www.ucas.com/advisers/managing-applications/2021-guidance-and-changes#entering-qualifications-in-apply-2021
Ah thank you, I wanted to know if I could apply with my autumn exam results for 2022 entry- as I'm taking a gap year, and haven't applied with deferred entry, I would be applying this autumn, but as that is the same time as the 'resits' I didn't know what grades would go into my UCAS and be sent to unis (usually it would've been my predicted grades if I were applying like normal without a gap year). I'm glad to hear you were able to apply using your autumn exam results! You say you applied in January this year- is that the normal deadline? Because the internal deadline was nov/dec I think (at my college) but the actual UCAS deadline is January for all I think? Or was the deadline for autumn exam takers extended so they can apply with their autumn exam grades? Also, can you choose which subjects to 'resit' or does it have to be all?

i applied with my autumn exam grades because i got my results on 17th december. i submitted my application in january because i was waiting for these results. as your school has an internal deadline...maybe you can ask them whether you can wait for your autumn results? if not then you might have to apply with your CAG’s :s-smilie:

and yes you can choose which subjects you want to retake.

I'm exactly in the same situation you're in but I'm planning on applying in December 2021 because that's when I'll get my result from the resit so it will be easier when applying.
Reply 13
It's like any other autumn (usually November) qualifications. In the UCAS application you say what exam series you are doing, so this would be Autumn and set as Nov/Dec and put the predicted grades for that. The universities will receive your actual results when you do, which looks like it will be December, and offer you on that.
do you guys think they’re going to release topic areas or info about the exams? or would we need to revise the entire spec
Reply 15
Original post by aimeeL14
do you guys think they’re going to release topic areas or info about the exams? or would we need to revise the entire spec

it is the entire spec. a lot, especially since we have not been taught content and if you're resitting more than 1 subject... I'm considering summer resits now, but I'm worried my ucas application will be less competitive :')
it is the entire spec. a lot, especially since we have not been taught content and if you're resitting more than 1 subject... I'm considering summer resits now, but I'm worried my ucas application will be less competitive :')

it is a lot, especially cause i’m re-sitting history. i’m kinda nervous about it. but do you already have the entry requirements for where you want to study next year?(: cause if so you can always mention to them that you’re taking a summer exam.
Reply 17
Original post by sy!¡

Heyy did that disadvantage you in terms of getting offers
Original post by BintuM
Heyy did that disadvantage you in terms of getting offers

I have the same question! Does applying later in December, especially for uni's like UCL and Kings, decrease your chance of getting an offer?

Quick Reply

Latest