sunmasters2021
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 months ago
Hi,
I applied to University of Cambridge for their MPhil program in Development Studies. I submitted my application along with the required letters of recommendation before the deadline, and my application was received by the system. After a month I received a rejection email. I was disappointed but accepted it and moved on. A few days later, I received a notification that my application fee was refunded. When I checked my application portal, the application status had changed from unsuccessful/rejected to withdrawn. Having not initiated a withdrawal request, I messaged the University. They informed me that the slots had been prematurely filled, which is why they closed the applications early. When I read this, I was really angry that (a) I was never informed of this to prevent me from wasting my time and effort in submitting the application, and (b) I was shared misleading information about my application being rejected when in fact it had not even been reviewed by the admission committee. As anyone who is applying to grad school knows, it is an incredibly stressful process. But to add to it University of Cambridge did not inform me or my recommenders in time that their slots were filled, and didn't even bother to tell me that my application was not rejected but was not even reviewed. When I messaged the department to enquire about any systematic changes they were making to prevent this situation, they gave very generic, unsatisfactory and defensive answers. I am so disappointed. I never thought an elite institution like University of Cambridge would be so inefficient, apathetic and inconsiderate.

Has anyone else gone through something similar?
Guganesan
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
I'm sorry to hear about your situation, I dearly hope you have applied to other universities as well. From what I have read in TSR treads, certain departments of Cambridge tends to release offers late, which many times surpasses other universities offer acceptance deadline. Thus leaving the candidates to either taking a risk by missing the deadline or forgoing Cam's offer. Sorry if I've been misinformed.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What support do you need with your UCAS application?

I need help researching unis (5)
9.26%
I need help researching courses (5)
9.26%
I need help with filling out the application form (3)
5.56%
I need help with my personal statement (24)
44.44%
I need help with understanding how to make my application stand out (13)
24.07%
I need help with something else (let us know in the thread!) (1)
1.85%
I'm feeling confident about my application and don't need any help at the moment (3)
5.56%

Watched Threads