What to do after a maths degree?

Watch
username5508856
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
I'm in first year of a four year maths degree (It's in Scotland which is why it is four years) but I have absolutely no idea what to do afterwards and what I should be doing now to seem like a more competitive applicant in the workplace.

Can people give me a background about potential careers and things that would help me stand out?

(I am asking this here as I've already searched this in Google but it is a lot easier to get more "personal" information if I am asking people directly rather than searching general websites).
Last edited by username5508856; 3 months ago
username5508856
Rep:
?
I go to St Andrews uni if that matters
0le
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by Uni_Student321)
I'm in first year of a four year maths degree (It's in Scotland which is why it is four years) but I have absolutely no idea what to do afterwards and what I should be doing now to seem like a more competitive applicant in the workplace.

Can people give me a background about potential careers and things that would help me stand out?

(I am asking this here as I've already searched this in Google but it is a lot easier to get more "personal" information if I am asking people directly rather than searching general websites).
You will be able to apply for a wide range of roles.

You will be particularly suited for data science roles, especially if you study statistics and discrete mathematics. You can apply for graduate tech roles, most a wide range of consultancy roles and a good number of finance roles such as quantitative analytics.

I'd recommend doing some volunteering work, internships or part-time during the summer if possible. All graduate schemes and entry roles are extremely competitive and if you are unlucky, you may finding getting your first job very challenging.
Last edited by 0le; 3 months ago
username5508856
Rep:
?
(Original post by 0le)
You will be able to apply for a wide range of roles.

You will be particularly suited for data science roles, especially if you study statistics and discrete mathematics. You can apply for graduate tech roles, most a wide range of consultancy roles and a good number of finance roles such as quantitative analytics.

I'd recommend doing some volunteering work, internships or part-time during the summer if possible. All graduate schemes and entry roles are extremely competitive and if you are unlucky, you may finding getting your first job very challenging.
How would volunteering work, internships or part-time work during Covid? Would I have to wait until future summers?
Kerzen
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago

One of these options might appeal to you:

https://www.royalnavy.mod.uk/careers...arfare-officer

https://www.royalnavy.mod.uk/careers...istics-officer

https://www.royalnavy.mod.uk/careers...gineer-officer

While you are at University, you might be considered for the Reserves in Dundee.

https://www.royalnavy.mod.uk/our-org...s/tay-division

There is a University Royal Naval Unit in Edinburgh but I think that it may be too far away.

https://www.royalnavy.mod.uk/our-org...nits/edinburgh
Last edited by Kerzen; 3 months ago
0le
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
How would volunteering work, internships or part-time work during Covid? Would I have to wait until future summers?
There are still people working during the pandemic, there have been lots of internships advertised and there are always lots of volunteering roles. You just have to find out what is available in your local area, but try food banks, charity shops (which will open from today), mental health services and caring roles.
Last edited by 0le; 3 months ago
username5508856
Rep:
?
(Original post by 0le)
There are still people working during the pandemic, there have been lots of internships advertised and there are always lots of volunteering roles. You just have to find out what is available in your local area, but try food banks, charity shops (which will open from today), mental health services and caring roles.
People are still working but a lot of places have been work from home. Would this make any different?
0le
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
People are still working but a lot of places have been work from home. Would this make any different?
https://uk.indeed.com/jobs?q=internship&l=
pts26
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago

Have a look into Quality Surveying schemes that accept non-conguates, employers in the industry often like strong maths and analytical skills. It's a good career choice if you like a balance of being out and about as well as in an office. The pay is also pretty good and lots of opportunity to progress into senior management.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you feel if uni students needed to be double vaccinated to start in Autumn?

I'd feel reassured about my own health (17)
18.89%
I'd feel reassured my learning may be less disrupted by isolations/lockdowns (25)
27.78%
I'd feel less anxious about being around large groups (8)
8.89%
I don't mind if others are vaccinated or not (9)
10%
I'm concerned it may disadvantage some students (5)
5.56%
I think it's an unfair expectation (24)
26.67%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (2)
2.22%

Watched Threads