The Student Room Group

Don't like any of my offers

Scroll to see replies

Have you looked at sussex? Pretty sure my cousin went there and now she works in loads of types of tv (the voice, love island ect.). It's right close to the beach and overall a very gay city :smile:
Reply 21
Original post by ashtolga23
Why did you apply there if you don't like it??

I made some pretty poor decisions at the time and barely did any research prior, I just chose some universities that looked cool at first glance. At the time I didn't know if I wanted to go to university or not, but I was told to apply anyway. My mental health has been in a state for months and as a result I haven't able to focus on my future as much as I'd like to.

Original post by Scrufuffle2
Be grateful that you got offers

I had no idea I'd get any offers. I've been slacking at my A levels for months. Applying for university in the first place was a last minute decison. When all five gave me offers I felt guilty that there were probably people out there who've put more effort in than me and who actually want to go to university, but may have not even gotten any offers whatsoever. I'm aware of how selfish I sound saying 'I don't like my offers' with that in mind, and I sincerely apologise.
You have 5 offers and you didn't think much about your application. From your post it sounds like you do want to go to university but don't like your offers. Look again into the universities that have given you an offer and do you research on the city and the course. Look at it as if you never applied to begin with - when you have done that then think about, with what you now know, would you apply to that university? Because if the answer is yes, then you already hold an offer, and if your answer is no, apply that same outlook on universities you may be interested in and look to see if you can apply there instead.
Did you consider Sussex university? I know somebody that took the media and communications course and loved it, she now works for the BBC! I also studied at Sussex myself and really enjoyed my time there. Sussex normally has a fairly good academic standing too.
Brighton is also VERY LGBTQ+ friendly! It is probably one of the most liberal cities and is a great place to live.
(edited 3 years ago)
You want my advice? Prioritise your happiness.
There are two main factors when it comes to succeeding in academics: Resources (inc. teaching quality) and yourself (inc. motivation and wellbeing). You could be at the most 'successful' university in the country but you won't truly flourish both academically or personally if you don't feel happy, welcomed and safe.

An anecdote: When it came to me choosing what sixth form to attend the 'easy' and expected option was the nearest college (A), 2500 students strong and rated one of the top performing state 6th forms in England. 90% of my year group from secondary school went there (and equally popular amongst other year groups as we are a 'feeder' school) and the transport links were about as good as it gets for someone living in a large rural village. On paper this was the best choice, but it was not the best choice for me. I ended up attending a 6th form much further afield(B)- it would take between 1-2 hours to commute by bus, A level results - whilst not bad - were't glowing as they were for A and the smaller number of students (500, though I think it dropped closer to 400 while I was there due to it being a low birth year) meant resources were scarce and staff retention was poor. Again, on paper this shouldn't have been the place that got me great results. The factor other people hadn't considered however, was my happiness. I really struggled in secondary school- I didn't have friends (no literally, I spent break and lunch times alone in the library or a classroom) I didn't feel like I 'fit in' with my classmates and I wanted a fresh start away from these people so I could form an identity (some of my schoolmates I'd been in school with since reception). I live in a close-knit area (hence knowing classmates since early childhood) and went to a comparatively small secondary school so I knew I would struggle in such a large collage as A, after attending open days and interviews for both, I strongly felt at ease at B compared to the out-of-place feeling at A, so I bit the bullet and signed up to shoddy public transport routes and being the only person from my school at that college. It payed off! I loved my time there, I found friends at last and genuinely felt appreciated and understood by my teachers. I grew so much as a person while there and despite cycling through three substitutes in one subject over several months, not having access to school trips and generally feeling the effects of poor government funding, I truly thrived.

So in summary, go wherever you know you will feel good- whether that's Loughborough (not by the sounds of your post), bath spa, or taking a risk and applying for others through clearing. Don't make academic reputation your priority (still important to consider, especially since you're spending so much money to do this) - because if you're unhappy and unmotivated stellar teaching won't make a difference.
I think you will like Brighton university, as it's meant to be quite LGBTQ+ friendly, apple for a UCAS extra I suggest. If your gut feeling isn't good about your 5 offers perhaps reconsider as it will be 3 years of your life spent there.
(edited 3 years ago)
Have you maybe considered Chichester? It's a pretty small uni (a big part of why I'm picking there because I'm a very anxious person who's already dropped out of a bigger uni) and - from what I've been told by current students - it's got a good community feel (I also think the applicant chats back that up a bit too). It's also got a good LGBT+ group as well I believe - at least all of us applicants on the LGBT+ group chat seem like lovely people as do the student reps on there who are part of a society. x
Original post by Oacio
I've recieved offers from Loughborough, Bath Spa, Bristol, Oxford Brookes and Bournemouth, but none of them really feel right for me.

I value comfort - being in a comfortable enviornment with a comfortable community, but I also value the quality of education I get.

This has put me in a situation where I've spent days upon days ignoring my options because I can't pick between Loughborough and Bath Spa. The community at Loughborough doesn't seem very LGBTQ+ friendly and quite sporty, two things I despise, but the quality of teaching at bath spa (even though the campus is beautiful and safe) just isn't the best, especially with the dropout rates.

I want a university that's both LGBTQ+ friendly, has a nice, safe campus and has a decent standard of teaching. I'm applying for media and communications which usually is pretty easy to get into for most universities (less popular degree), so I could probably stretch to a russel group university (especially as I got an offer from Bristol, proving I'm capable of that).

Basically, I'm asking if anyone has any suggestions, and if there's a way to turn down my courses, go through clearing, or if there's even a way to apply this late to a specific university. Maybe I'm asking for too much, but as someone who's super sensitive and anxious I really need to make sure I prioritise my own needs over anything so that I'm less likely to drop out.

Thanks!

Hi @Oacio

I know you’re here to get the opinions of other students, but as an ex Brighton university student I thought I may be able to help :^_^:

Choosing a university can seem like such an overwhelming choice as it’s somewhere you’re going to be for at least the next three years of your life. It’s really important that you go somewhere that you feel happy and comfortable.

Here at Brighton we are committed to fostering an inclusive and supportive environment for all students, including lesbian, gay, bisexual, trans, and queer + students.

We understand that LGBTQ+ students may face additional challenges during their time at university, and we have services to support you. You can take a look at these here.

There is also a very popular LGBTQ+ Student Society.

We offer a variety of Media courses and we would welcome an application from yourself, you can take a look at the different options here.

We also have a Unibuddy studying Media studies that you could chat to if you wanted to speak to a student directly

In terms of Brighton as a place, Brighton is a vibrant inclusive City with plenty of things to see and do, two of our students have done a really helpful video showing the City.

I hope this is helpful, if you have any questions please get in touch. - Bex, Course Enquiries :nyan:
Original post by Oacio
I've recieved offers from Loughborough, Bath Spa, Bristol, Oxford Brookes and Bournemouth, but none of them really feel right for me.

I value comfort - being in a comfortable enviornment with a comfortable community, but I also value the quality of education I get.

This has put me in a situation where I've spent days upon days ignoring my options because I can't pick between Loughborough and Bath Spa. The community at Loughborough doesn't seem very LGBTQ+ friendly and quite sporty, two things I despise, but the quality of teaching at bath spa (even though the campus is beautiful and safe) just isn't the best, especially with the dropout rates.

I want a university that's both LGBTQ+ friendly, has a nice, safe campus and has a decent standard of teaching. I'm applying for media and communications which usually is pretty easy to get into for most universities (less popular degree), so I could probably stretch to a russel group university (especially as I got an offer from Bristol, proving I'm capable of that).

Basically, I'm asking if anyone has any suggestions, and if there's a way to turn down my courses, go through clearing, or if there's even a way to apply this late to a specific university. Maybe I'm asking for too much, but as someone who's super sensitive and anxious I really need to make sure I prioritise my own needs over anything so that I'm less likely to drop out.

Thanks!

Hey,

Congratulations on your offers, we know the choosing can be the tricky bit. You should always prioritise your needs, it's a big decision!

At the University of Chichester we are community focused university where you are known by name and are highly supported by our staff. Our Media and Communications course is based on our Bognor Regis campus, which is a lovely green campus just 5 minutes away from the beach (915 steps to be precise!) The Media and Communications course is taught in our new £35 million Tech Park which provides exciting facilities provide access to professional industry standard equipment and hands on practical learning.

We are so proud of our close-knit community here at Chichester, people really matter here. Our Students' Union works hard to represent our students' views and to help students get the most out of their time at university. We have several student officers who represent a range of students, ensuring their views and interests are at the heart of the university. One of these officers works on behalf of the LGBTQ+ community and is committed to helping people be free and true to who they are. As well as an LGBTQ+ Officer, we also have an LGBTQ+ society who work closely with our the Officers to ensure the community is supported and cared for. They also run a variety of social events and get-togethers :smile:

To get a feel for our Media and Communications courses, our Chichester on Demand site offers lots of useful videos and resources.

If you'd like to chat to our students, you can do so via Unibuddy, feel free to ask our students anything!

If you're interested in studying at Chichester, we recommend you contact our Admissions team on [email protected] or call 01243 816000 and they will be able to help with the next steps :smile:

I hope this helps, let us know if you have any questions! Thanks, Sian
Original post by Oacio

Thanks!

Hi @Oacio,

First of all congratulations on recieving five university offers!

Like another person has said previously, I would also recommend Sussex University as a possible option as it would meet your requirements very well. You definitely aren't asking for too much! The most important thing is being happy at whichever university you decide to attend. In terms of Sussex University, the Uni is very LGBTQ+ friendly and near to Brighton which is also very LGBTQ+ friendly. Sussex also offers the Media and Communications BA so you would be able to do the course you wish to do. Although, I don't study this particular course, I personally have enjoyed my time at Sussex and have liked the location and how welcoming Brighton is as a whole.

I hope that this has been helpful in some way and has provided you with another possible option, if you have any questions about the university, please do feel free to ask at any stage.

Best wishes,
Merade (Yr 3 History and Politics BA)
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by Oacio

Thanks!

Hello Oacio,

I am Tia and I study BA (Hons) Communication and Media at Bournemouth University. First of all I want to say congratulations on getting all those offers that's amazing, it's also completely normal to decide you don't like your choices anymore.

I know you said you aren't keen on Bournemouth anymore but the criteria you have specified matches Bournemouth pretty perfectly. When I was deciding a few years ago I was stuck between choosing Loughborough and Bournemouth but decided on Bournemouth as the location was so much better. There was more to do, it felt very safe but also very social and friendly, it was by the beach which is so beautiful and peaceful, the university is also very supportive of LGBTQ+ and people at the uni seemed very opened minded and kind. There is also a lot of support and mental health support available at the uni and accommodation too. The tipping point for me also was the fact they offered placement years and they are more supportive than any other uni I visited or my friends have gone to about getting one. Doing a placement/sandwich year means when you graduate you're more likely to get a grad job as you already have experience as well as a degree. Also, when I spoke to people who worked in the industry they all said they like to hire people who have come from Bournemouth and studied media so they would advise me to go there! My friends working grad jobs have also been told the same thing. The lecturers are very supportive and the topics we cover are so varied it gives you a huge range of skills and opportunities for when you graduate.

I hope this has helped and that you are happy at whichever university you pick! Tia:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending