The Student Room Group

How would you feel if a male you're close with cries in front of you?

As a male myself I've grown up in a pretty rough family and always told that "boys don't cry" or to "man up" whenever I'm upset.
I just want to know how another male or female would feel seeing a close friend/boyfriend cry In front of them.
It has happened so it's not a hypothetical question for me.

It depends on why they're crying. If it's some health issue or a family problem, etc I think I will feel really bad for them, try to find the positives and make them know I am there for them anytime they need me.

My best friend was crying because some girl dumped him. I didn't feel that sad for him because nothing major happened, she was a skank, they never had a great relationship anyway, she wasn't that mean to him, she broke up rather softly tbh, I mean i have heard far worse (girls are ruthless btw I used to believe this sexist bs about how they're more sensitive and precious... lol NOPE!).

I still supported him as much as I could like skype calls (yeah those were the days!) at 3am, taking long walks randomly, not leaving him alone too much in general and continuously letting him know that he's gonna be fine, he just need to give it time (he was really worried he will forever be depressed about it... and it took him 6-7 months to bounce back but he's great now).
I'd give him space to pull himself together then we'd talk it through.
Original post by Anonymous
As a male myself I've grown up in a pretty rough family and always told that "boys don't cry" or to "man up" whenever I'm upset.
I just want to know how another male or female would feel seeing a close friend/boyfriend cry In front of them.

Well Id be told up to man up if it's ridiculous but if it's serious stuff Id be suported

but Im sure girls would be fine they'd try to comfort u
empathy
As a fellow female, it's quite weird to see a male cry in front of you other than your brother or a young toddler boy. When I saw my boy best friend cry in front of me for the first time, my heart sank I felt very bad for him. I comforted him for about 2 hours then I left him alone for a day or two to let him process what happened. His girlfriend broke up with him along with his best friend dyed before she broke up with him, he was thinking she'd comfort him but in reality she didn't even like him.
Comfort them obviously.
Absolutely would try my best to comfort them in a way that lets them cry it out, and hug them, and then we can talk it through whatever makes them feel the way they do.
Tbh, if I cried and the other person was behaving as if they were my parent, I wouldn’t like it. So I’d give them space.
I'd sit awkwardly next to them until they sorted themselves out, then make a joke.
I wouldn't like it.
Uncomfortable, all crying people make me feel like that though.
I’d feel flattered that they felt comfortable enough being vulnerable around me. And then I’d give them a hug and try and comfort them.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending