The Student Room Group

Do I need experience working in a Primary School before applying for a PGCE?

I have completed a BA in English Literature and would like to get into teaching Primary School children. I am in the process of applying for a PGCE course that will start in September. Do I require experience before being able to do this course? Is there a method of getting into teaching that doesn't require experience? Will I be able to apply for the PGCE in my current position (I meet all academic requirements, DBS check, etc.) and succeed in getting onto the course? Thanks.
Reply 1
Original post by trp2021
I have completed a BA in English Literature and would like to get into teaching Primary School children. I am in the process of applying for a PGCE course that will start in September. Do I require experience before being able to do this course? Is there a method of getting into teaching that doesn't require experience? Will I be able to apply for the PGCE in my current position (I meet all academic requirements, DBS check, etc.) and succeed in getting onto the course?

Hi! I recently applied for Primary Ed at university and the majority of my interview questions revolved around personal experience working in either a school setting or general work with children/ young people. So if PGCE applications also require an interview you may struggle without experience?
Hi @trp2021,

I'd advise that you check the entry requirements of the University you want to go to and send them an email to see what the application / interview process is. A lot of Universities will know that experience hasn't been as easy to achieve this year and will likely take that into consideration. Have a read of these pages, they have some more information about PGCE's;
https://www.ucas.com/teaching-option/pgce-university-led-teacher-training
https://www.prospects.ac.uk/jobs-and-work-experience/job-sectors/teacher-training-and-education/routes-into-teaching
https://www.prospects.ac.uk/jobs-and-work-experience/job-sectors/teacher-training-and-education/volunteering-in-schools

Best of luck with your studies :smile:
Rhian
Original post by trp2021
I have completed a BA in English Literature and would like to get into teaching Primary School children. I am in the process of applying for a PGCE course that will start in September. Do I require experience before being able to do this course? Is there a method of getting into teaching that doesn't require experience? Will I be able to apply for the PGCE in my current position (I meet all academic requirements, DBS check, etc.) and succeed in getting onto the course? Thanks.

You can apply for the PGCE with no experience, and especially as it is difficult to get experience at the moment due to Covid, you may be accepted. However, your application will be a lot stronger if you can get some kind of experience with the age group you want to teach, ideally in school but equally via volunteering with a group like guides/scouts or a sports team.
Original post by trp2021

I am also in the same boat, I was due to start some school experience last year but obviously never happened. Instead, I have been observing some online lessons on the Oak National Academy website. When I talked about this in my PGCE interview they were impressed that I had been proactive and asked me to talk about a lesson that I had observed on there and any key things that I had learnt. I also highly recommend looking on youtube at some 'Day in the Life of a Teacher' vlogs and talk about that too. Good luck!
Reply 5
Hi!

I have applied and successfully got a place for the PGCE Primary starting this September WITHOUT any experience. It is very possible to get a place without experience, of course it would be great if you could get some but in this pandemic it is understandable if you can’t. Hope you get a place!!
Reply 6
Original post by trp2021

Hi!

I have applied and successfully got a place for the PGCE Primary starting this September WITHOUT any experience. It is very possible to get a place without experience, of course it would be great if you could get some but in this pandemic it is understandable if you can’t. Hope you get a place!!
Reply 7
Original post by Saf1995
Hi!

Hi,

Yeah I got an interview and got accepted into the course no problem, very excited :smile:
Reply 8
Original post by trp2021
Hi,

Yeah I got an interview and got accepted into the course no problem, very excited :smile:

That’s great!! Good luck! I’m super excited but also quite nervous!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending