The Student Room Group

Psychology personal statement help

I’m in year 12 and we’ve just been advised to start thinking about our personal statements. I’m desperate to do a psychology course and was wondering if anyone could give me tips for my personal statement. I’m studying French, English literature, Psychology and core maths. Are there any online courses that I could do which would make my personal statement stand out? I’m hoping to do a course in counselling psychology after going to uni :smile:
Original post by Alileahg1294
I’m in year 12 and we’ve just been advised to start thinking about our personal statements. I’m desperate to do a psychology course and was wondering if anyone could give me tips for my personal statement. I’m studying French, English literature, Psychology and core maths. Are there any online courses that I could do which would make my personal statement stand out? I’m hoping to do a course in counselling psychology after going to uni :smile:

Have a look at doing a MOOC. Reading books as well as watching Ted talks etc are other ways of standing out on your PS. Coursera, www.mooc.org , futurelearn and EdX are all online MOOC providers and have lots of courses- Hope this helps

Hi @Alileahg1294,

It's great that you're interested in Psychology, I would definitely recommend checking out our subject page and our student blogs, which have top tips and experiences shared by current Psychology students.
We also have a MOOC (free online course) called 'An Introduction to Cognitive Psychology as an Experimental Science' which may be interesting for you as a prospective Psychology student, and will also look really good on your personal statement. We also have some other personal statement advice on our website which may be helpful to you.

I hope this helps!

Hazel :smile:
Graduate Ambassador
There's guidance here on how to write a psychology PS :smile: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6213912
Original post by Interrobang
There's guidance here on how to write a psychology PS :smile: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6213912

wow!!! Thank you so much.

Do you think that reading several psychology books would be enough to put on my personal statement? Or should I perhaps also do an online course?

I’m struggling to think of what I have to put on my psychology statement to prove my passion:frown:
(edited 2 years ago)
wow!!! Thank you so much.

Do you think that reading several psychology books would be enough to put on my personal statement? Or should I perhaps also do an online course?

I’m struggling to think of what I have to put on my psychology statement to prove my passion:frown:

You would likely need 2-4 things to talk about which could be a mixture of books,, courses, lectures etc
I submitted my personal statements for my msc at lsbu my consultant received an email that there’s 20% plagiarism which i find confusing cos I didn’t commit any act of plagiarism please what do i do I’m supposed to go with with September class im so down

Quick Reply