madelineann21
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
I'm looking to start a BSc honours degree in October with the OU, and anxious that nothing will come out of it after full time studies.
If anyone could provide any advice or thoughts, it would be much appreciated 😊
k1tsun3
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
I find that education at any level and location is what you make of it. If you're worried about job prospects, then make use of LinkedIn and see if you can find OU gradates with the degree you're looking to pursue and see where they are. What are you planning on studying?
madelineann21
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
(Original post by k1tsun3)
I find that education at any level and location is what you make of it. If you're worried about job prospects, then make use of LinkedIn and see if you can find OU gradates with the degree you're looking to pursue and see where they are. What are you planning on studying?
Hi, thanks for replying.
I'm looking into a psychology degree. I'm 21 with 5 years of work experience and already on LinkedIn due to my current job.
I'm just wanting to change career paths because what I'm currently doing is SUPER stressful and want to go into something I know will be a lifetime career.
I'm just worried about whether the course and uni will lead to anything
k1tsun3
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by madelineann21)
Hi, thanks for replying.
I'm looking into a psychology degree. I'm 21 with 5 years of work experience and already on LinkedIn due to my current job.
I'm just wanting to change career paths because what I'm currently doing is SUPER stressful and want to go into something I know will be a lifetime career.
I'm just worried about whether the course and uni will lead to anything
What are you doing now? Do you have a degree in something else? Do you have a specific job in mind that you want to do that you are choosing Psychology?

I'm asking all of these questions because Psychology can lead to a variety of pathways. Understanding where you want to go can really help guide you to the best study pathway. If you have a degree in another area, there are conversions options out there.

Are you worried about how an OU degree will be perceived? Or is it the degree that just worries you. If you are in London and are happy with mostly evening courses with the flexibility of some day courses, then Birkbeck has a really strong Psychology department and cover a range of possible choices within the field. I did the Educational Neuroscience postgrad there and can attest to how fabulous they are. They are linked with UCL and use their facilities for some research areas like neuroimaging.

It's really good to consider the questions above. I asked myself a lot of those questions when I decided to leave teaching and make a career change into tech.
Last edited by k1tsun3; 2 months ago
libostance
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Ask yourself, which of the two candidates has more to them as a person in the subject they wish to succeed in: the person dragged (threatened with losing their place, or bursary if in Scotland) each day into the classroom, spoon fed work, surrounded by distractions that only melt away in the final year, or someone who pushes themselves each day to do the same.

The only thing that a degree from an institution can offer is the FACT that the student will be swimming in debt and thus be slave like to your employers demands to pay it back, and that you will have shown that you have staying power for e.g. four years, which is important as employers see new recruits an potential long term investments.

I would ALWAYS respect a OU "graduate" as they have made it their own way. The difference will be that you can avoid the inflated costs of university and work to your own pace.

Go the OU route and do something different, you'll be fine !
Last edited by libostance; 2 months ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (180)
44.23%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (45)
11.06%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (33)
8.11%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (86)
21.13%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (40)
9.83%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (23)
5.65%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed