The Student Room Group

Insurance threatening to cancel

Long story short i bought a car from a dealership two months ago and its just gone into their garage for a gearbox repair and obviously i told them the car is fitted with a blackbox and also emailed my insurance company telling them any data from this date bla bla is from mechanics test driving the vehicle and apparently they need to disconnect battery to remove gearbox and so on.

Obviously at this point there is nothing i could do, car wouldn't even change gear half the time or would try doing corners in 4th and stall so was dangerous and soon as the car got dropped off its no longer within my control how the car is driven or how mechanics do their job but this hasn't stopped my insurance ringing me threatening with cancellation and when i said to her what was i meant to do then just sit with a broken car? even she didn't know what to say.

Anyone else experienced this? i think its absolute madness...do people with blackboxes just prey their car never breaks down or never take it in for repairs? i'm on a second year blackbox so all they record now is speed and thats it but i didn't realise the amount of hassle you also get for simply taking car to a garage for a fix...can they cancel my insurance? surely if i can prove the car was in the garage and stuff they haven't got a leg to stand on? i cant see them getting away with cancelling everyone's insurance simply because their car goes into a garage....i cant force a garage to make sure their mechanics drive my car correctly all i can do is let them know its got a box and i also cant tell them how to do their job and not to disconnect a battery...literally cant win.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 1
your insurance company is being a bit silly in my opinion. if they do try to cancel it, you can always try and provide proof that the car was in the garage.
Reply 2
Original post by sy!¡
your insurance company is being a bit silly in my opinion. if they do try to cancel it, you can always try and provide proof that the car was in the garage.

I have already started getting together proof the car is in the garage and see how they take that as i can't see them cancelling it for a reason such as this but with these blackbox companies you never know to be honest.
Reply 3
Original post by Nick6501
I have already started getting together proof the car is in the garage and see how they take that as i can't see them cancelling it for a reason such as this but with these blackbox companies you never know to be honest.

what company are you with?
Reply 4
Original post by sy!¡
what company are you with?

hastings, feel like they just didn't get my email so will just ring them in morning and throw stacks of proof at them and hopefully they just say okay lol.
(edited 3 years ago)
...and occurrences like this are one of the many reasons why you should stay well away from black boxes. If they cancel your policy you are looking at skyrocketed premiums (often thousands more) for a good few years.

I don't have much to suggest other than to repeatedly tell them that it was at the garage from date x and time y. Make sure you retain all correspondence, and make sure that anything you do is in written form where possible so that you can use it if you have to make a formal complaint later on. Read the T&Cs pertaining to your situation.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by RedGiant
...and occurrences like this are one of the many reasons why you should stay well away from black boxes. If they cancel your policy you are looking at skyrocketed premiums (usually thousands more) for a good few years.

I don't have much advice other than to repeatedly tell them that it was at the garage from date x and time y. Make sure you retain all correspondence, and make sure that anything you do is in written form where possible so that you can use it if you have to make a formal complaint later on. Read the T&Cs pertaining to your situation.

Will do, thanks :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by Nick6501
Long story short i bought a car from a dealership two months ago and its just gone into their garage for a gearbox repair and obviously i told them the car is fitted with a blackbox and also emailed my insurance company telling them any data from this date bla bla is from mechanics test driving the vehicle and apparently they need to disconnect battery to remove gearbox and so on.

Obviously at this point there is nothing i could do, car wouldn't even change gear half the time or would try doing corners in 4th and stall so was dangerous and soon as the car got dropped off its no longer within my control how the car is driven or how mechanics do their job but this hasn't stopped my insurance ringing me threatening with cancellation and when i said to her what was i meant to do then just sit with a broken car? even she didn't know what to say.

Anyone else experienced this? i think its absolute madness...do people with blackboxes just prey their car never breaks down or never take it in for repairs? i'm on a second year blackbox so all they record now is speed and thats it but i didn't realise the amount of hassle you also get for simply taking car to a garage for a fix...can they cancel my insurance? surely if i can prove the car was in the garage and stuff they haven't got a leg to stand on? i cant see them getting away with cancelling everyone's insurance simply because their car goes into a garage....i cant force a garage to make sure their mechanics drive my car correctly all i can do is let them know its got a box and i also cant tell them how to do their job and not to disconnect a battery...literally cant win.

Not unusual. If they do cancel, you can go to the ombudsman.
Original post by RedGiant
...and occurrences like this are one of the many reasons why you should stay well away from black boxes. If they cancel your policy you are looking at skyrocketed premiums (often thousands more) for a good few years.

Exactly this, you just can't trust them and they hold way too much power in the agreement. Pointless now but this is why it costs what it does.

As others said keep records of correspondence with them and the garage in the assumption you'll need to make some sort of appeal, but I would expect them to cancel you if you disconnect, they seem to have made that clear.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending