username5695805
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 months ago
My sister is going to university and is living at home.She lives around 3 hours away from uni.If you guys have advice share
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
best advice when facing a 6 hour daily commute: move
University of Liverpool Student Rep
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by lola023-)
My sister is going to university and is living at home.She lives around 3 hours away from uni.If you guys have advice share
Hi there,

With that length of commute, it might be impractical to live that far away assuming that the course will be on-person. Depending what course you are studying you could be in every day, with sessions starting at 9am, therefore it would be mean leaving the house at 5.45am at the latest! I would recommend that she either considers moving closer to the University, or perhaps considers a different, more local University.

Malachy - University of Liverpool Student Rep
University of Salford Student Rep
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Hey lola023-,

Hope you're doing okay

I agree with University of Liverpool Student Rep, that is a difficult commute!

So, if circumstances allow, I would recommend your sister considers moving into nearby student accommodation or attending a more local university.

Six hours of travelling every time she needs to be on campus would quickly become draining I'm sure

All the best,

Sophie - Student Ambassador
University of Strathclyde Student Ambassador
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Hey lola023-

I agree with the other ambassadors, it'll be a long commute if your sister is travelling for 6 hours each day.

Is there anyway she can move closer to the uni? Either on campus or in private halls?

Your sister will quickly become tired and once she gets home at night she'll probably want to sleep but still have prep work to do for her classes the next day.

University is also about the experience, so if your sister moves to her uni city she'll have the time to join clubs and societies and get involved in other aspects of uni life

Hope this helps!

Melissa- Student Ambassador
hallamstudents
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Hi lola023-,

I agree with the other posts saying that a 6hour commute would be tricky, especially if classes are early in the morning. However, if moving closer to uni isn't an option, I would advise your sister to speak to the timetabling team to see if they are able to put her in classes that are around the middle of the day to make the commute more manageable.

Lucy
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (2)
6.45%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (6)
19.35%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (3)
9.68%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (3)
9.68%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (11)
35.48%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (6)
19.35%

Watched Threads