The Student Room Group

Can I drop maths?

Hi all, I’m currently in year 12 and I study chemistry, biology, maths and religious studies.
Most vet schools want A Levels in chemistry and at least one other science/math.
The thing is, I’m really not enjoying the maths course, I don’t have any motivation to do work outside of school and I dread going to the lessons. I’m not struggling, it’s just I find it so dull.
So, to anyone who’s recently applied to vet school, is currently studying vet med, or has studied it in the past - would I be able to drop it? I know that I can, technically speaking, because of the entry requirements, but would it put me at a disadvantage to other applicants?
Also, does RS class as an academic subject? Our course looks at philosophy and ethics too, which can link to vet med in terms of euthanasia etc.
Thank you for any help you can give me :smile:
Maths isn’t a requirement of any uk vet schools so if you’re really not enjoying it then you’re perfectly fine to drop it. Universities would much rather you did 3 a levels and did well in them than do 4 (their requirements will reflect this). It will not put you at a disadvantage at all.

The only vet schools that, on paper, appear to have a preference are Cambridge and Glasgow. I can’t speak for Glasgow, but I’m at Cambridge and there are students who didn’t do maths or did a different third a level. It’s really more a case that more students do maths and some tend to do better at interviews. They don’t have a bias towards those who do three science a levels.

RS is an academic subject- the only a levels that are not considered academic are general studies and critical thinking.
Reply 2
Original post by Vetgirl07
Maths isn’t a requirement of any uk vet schools so if you’re really not enjoying it then you’re perfectly fine to drop it. Universities would much rather you did 3 a levels and did well in them than do 4 (their requirements will reflect this). It will not put you at a disadvantage at all.

The only vet schools that, on paper, appear to have a preference are Cambridge and Glasgow. I can’t speak for Glasgow, but I’m at Cambridge and there are students who didn’t do maths or did a different third a level. It’s really more a case that more students do maths and some tend to do better at interviews. They don’t have a bias towards those who do three science a levels.

RS is an academic subject- the only a levels that are not considered academic are general studies and critical thinking.

I see, thank you!
Reply 3
I was silly enough to do just 3 a levels: Biology Chemistry and Maths. I have hated maths for the last 2 years but I’ve got through it... it hasn’t stopped me getting into vet school tho. I’d drop maths if I were you and just focus on the 3 subjects
Reply 4
Original post by skent6
I was silly enough to do just 3 a levels: Biology Chemistry and Maths. I have hated maths for the last 2 years but I’ve got through it... it hasn’t stopped me getting into vet school tho. I’d drop maths if I were you and just focus on the 3 subjects

Thank you for your help, I probably will drop maths now bc it will be better to get 3 good grades in subjects i enjoy than 4 mediocre grades :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending