The Student Room Group
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London

Official Imperial College 2022 Undergraduate Applicants Thread

Hi everyone, this is the discussion/chat thread for those of you applying to undergraduate courses at Imperial for 2022 entry. Chat with potential coursemates, see who's getting offers, etc.

If you have any general questions about the uni, ask here or have a look at the 'Ask An Imperial Student' thread:
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6421814

2023 Applicants thread available here: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7233395
Template to get discussion going:
1 - What course are you thinking of applying for?
2 - What A-levels (or equivalent) are you taking?
3 - Are you sitting an admissions test for your course?
4 - Why Imperial?
5 - What other unis are you interested in applying for?

To search for posts within the thread (e.g. to see if anyone's had an interview/offer for a course), click the three dots to the right of the page counter:

Received an interview invite? You can fill in this form so that others can see more easily when they're being given out. Remember that just because someone has received an interview and you haven't doesn't mean you're rejected! Imperial can take a long time to get back.
Form: https://forms.gle/odMxEEK1Zc1K4Kyv9
Responses: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1_La97eBPRcL0yKZSNMCsvLK_pldXMhDR0t1K2tQuBC8/edit?usp=sharing

Thanks to @MichaelYin for making the form

Note: The forms and documents in this thread are not managed or operated by The Student Room, and are set up by members of the community. Please do take this into account when entering your details into this form. All data you share is at your own risk. If you have any questions, please come and talk to the mods in Ask The Community Staff.

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/help/staying-safe-on-the-student-room

If you're applying for postgraduate, check out the 2021/22 applicants' thread here: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6646978

N. B. Sharing socials/encouraging off-site discussion on the forum isn't allowed - your post will be removed
(edited 1 year ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Sinnoh
Hi everyone, this is the discussion/chat thread for those of you applying to undergraduate courses at Imperial for 2022 entry. Chat with potential coursemates, see who's getting offers, etc.

If you have any general questions about the uni, ask here or have a look at the 'Ask An Imperial Student' thread:

4 - Why Imperial?

If you're applying for postgraduate, check out the 2021/22 applicants' thread here: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6646978

Might aswell go first :smile:

1. MEng Computing (computer science)
2. Maths, Further Maths, Physics and Economics, considering an EPQ aswell
3. None that I am aware of, so hopefully not :smile: EDIT: There is a post admission online test and applicants are encouraged to take the STEP II
4. I'm a big fan of the modules at Imperial and the links that the university has to big firms in the tech and finance industry
5. University of Cambridge, Warwick University, Durham University and maybe University of Bath, not too sure tho.
(edited 2 years ago)
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London
Original post by Black Sensei
Might aswell go first :smile:

1. MEng Computing (computer science)
2. Maths, Further Maths, Physics and Economics, considering an EPQ aswell
3. None that I am aware of, so hopefully not :smile:
4. I'm a big fan of the modules at Imperial and the links that the university has to big firms in the tech and finance industry
5. University of Cambridge, Warwick University, Durham University and maybe University of Bath, not too sure tho.

Might aswell go second :tongue:

1. Medicine
2. Biology, Chemistry, Maths and Further Maths
3.Yup - the BMAT
4. I like almost everything about the course and the structure
5. University of Cambridge, Nottingham, UCL... not too sure though, haven't made up my mind yet :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by Black Sensei

3. None that I am aware of, so hopefully not :smile:

I'm pretty sure there is an online maths test as part of the selection process
Original post by Sinnoh
I'm pretty sure there is an online maths test as part of the selection process

Just saw now :frown: but yeah there is a post admissions online test.
Reply 5
Going to give this thread a :bump:
Reply 6
1.MEng chemical engineering
2.Maths, Further maths, chemistry, physics
3. No (at least I don’t think so)
4. The course seems really interesting and I like how it is a mix of all of my A level subjects. Also I think I would enjoy living in London
5. Cambridge, UCL, Nottingham, Manchester
Original post by Sinnoh

4 - Why Imperial?

1- Medicine
2- Chemistry Biology Maths Further Maths ( 2-3 A stars 1 A ) and Cypriot Apolytirion Program
3- yes, BMAT
4- nice structure of the 6 year course, lots of opportunities after graduating
5- KCL, UCL, Barts and the London
i said that bcs there are definitely more opportunities in graduating from imperial than the unis in my country lol
1. MSci Physics
2. Physics, Chemistry and Maths. Might self-study Further Maths to strengthen my maths skills
3. I think so. It was mentioned during a virtual open day but nothing's been put on the imperial website
4. Excellent for research and state-of-the-art laboratories, I like the fact there's a study abroad course option and I'd like to live in London
5. Warwick, UCL, Bath and I'm not sure about the last one maybe Durham, Manchester or Bristol
Yeah but imperial is pretty good though. Not biased at all….. although just got year 3 timetable and we have no Easter break 😳
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by Sinnoh

4 - Why Imperial?

1 - Medicine
2 - Biology, Chemistry and Physics (+ an IPQ)
3. Yes, the BMAT
4. Lots of opportunities, early patient contact, high ranking which is good
5. I'm also applying to Cambridge, I'm an international student and I'm applying in Canada, Malaysia etc, so I've chosen some high reach universities in the UK to try for. I know I've got the work experience, the extra reading, done courses, publications in journals etc, essay competitions, just have to get the predicted which Im sure I will, and the BMAT scores.
Reply 12
International student here :smile:
1. MEng Mechanical Engineering
2. Maths, Further Maths, Physics, Chemistry, History
3. No for imperial (ENGAA for Cambridge)
4. Reasons:
* It is very strong in mechanical engineering
* Its industrial links
* I like its option of having a year abroad + a year in industry
5. Cambridge, Bath, Bristol, Southampton (still thinking)
(edited 2 years ago)
EEE department
I got 4 A* on my ucss predicted. If my personal statement is only mediocre, is it still likely I won’t receive a conditional offer?

And does imperial work like better the personal statement, the lower the conditional offer they could give. That’s how I assume it worked.

I’m just worried about my personal statement rn I read some examples for imperial and people have done all this crazy stuff I’ve only done basic stuff…
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by The Torrent
EEE department
I got 4 A* on my ucss predicted. If my personal statement is only mediocre, is it still likely I won’t receive a conditional offer?

And does imperial work like better the personal statement, the lower the conditional offer they could give. That’s how I assume it worked.

I’m just worried about my personal statement rn I read some examples for imperial and people have done all this crazy stuff I’ve only done basic stuff…

Crazier stuff does not mean better and simple does not mean boring. The only thing your personal statement needs to show is passion for your subject. If the admissions team/your department can tell that you have passion for studying your subject and that you are excited to learn then you are probably an ideal/perfect student to them. Personal statements don't directly contribute to your offer, it will be everything. Your grades, your personal statement and your interview will make this up. Chances are that you'll probably get the typical offer.
Just as a little story that might make you feel better, I know someone who had an extremely simple personal statement where they just spoke about how much they enjoy the subject and how they spend their free time around the subject and that particular personal statement was mentioned at his Oxford interview as being particularly good and interesting to read. So if a simple personal statement is good enough for an Oxford professor its good enough for everyone :tongue: (unfortunately they choked on their MAT).
International :>
1. Computing/EIE
2. Maths (A* 2020 oct/nov), Further Maths, Physics and Chemistry
3. An online test
4. The best uni (I reckon) for compsci in the UK; love to live in metropolitan cities
5. Cambridge, UCL, Edinburgh

I really just thought of doing compsci at the end of last year, so really struggling on my PS rn ;;
Reply 16
EEE department

No,you just get the typical offer regardless. The minimum requirement is A*AA, and that's also the offer that most people get for EEE - all this stuff is on the website.
Original post by Sinnoh
No,you just get the typical offer regardless. The minimum requirement is A*AA, and that's also the offer that most people get for EEE - all this stuff is on the website.

do u reckon they do 4 a level offers at all?
do u reckon they do 4 a level offers at all?

Technically they can but chances are they won't. I personally don't know anyone who got a 4 A-level offer.
Original post by JustSomeGuy:/
Technically they can but chances are they won't. I personally don't know anyone who got a 4 A-level offer.

is it worth dropping one of the 4 then? or should i hold it?

Latest