The Student Room Group
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London

Scroll to see replies

Has anyone got chemical engineering interviews yet?
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London
Where is this year's postgraduate thread?
Reply 182
Original post by kmargarita
Where is this year's postgraduate thread?

It is linked in the first post on the thread
Original post by Anonymous
hey guys, quick question! Do you think Imperial will care about extracurriculars such as sports or is it a waste of space?? I'm currently running out of lines on my personal statement and thinking about removing the end section about sports I play (netball)! I'm applying for biochem btw :smile:

Hi! My name is Maya, I'm a student rep from Imperial. I wouldn't necessarily say that it's a waste of space, as mentioning extracurriculars is a great way to demonstrate important skills like teamwork and time management to admissions tutors. I would recommend that you try and mention it briefly if possible, and see if the rest of your statement is as concise as it can be - it's easy to waste characters on filler words that don't actually add anything content-wise!

Hope that helps :h:
i found this website which displays the offer rate for my course (theoretical physics) and apperently Bsc has a 29% offer rate and Msci has 42% offer rate?

https://www.admissionreport.com/imperial-college-london/msci-physics-with-theoretical-physics

I applied to the Bsc course since i dont know whether or know I want to do masters at imperial (but i do want to do a masters in the future, just dont know where), but given that there is a difference in the offer rate i emailed the admissions team about this so I might change to apply for Msci theory physics instead.
:confused:

in general, im just a bit confused since the applications to admissions ratio on both the bsc and msci website is 7:1, so I thought the offer rate should be the same for both courses! Im just worried that I will be at a disadvantage since I applied to the Bsc course instead and in the statistics here:

https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/undergraduate_admissions_2#incoming-1360744

i did some calculations (im a nerd) and imperial clearly does favour those who applied to the Msci course over those who applied for the Bsc course, even though they are the same course for 1st (maybe 2nd) year.

also there is a flexibility in changing between bsc and msci course in the first 2 years, which doesnt really help in justfying their reasons for higher offer rate for the Msci course.

sorry about the rant, but i only have a few days to change course from bsc to msci on ucas (im an oxbridge applicant so I handed in all my applications early)
Original post by bleubreey
i found this website which displays the offer rate for my course (theoretical physics) and apperently Bsc has a 29% offer rate and Msci has 42% offer rate?

https://www.admissionreport.com/imperial-college-london/msci-physics-with-theoretical-physics

I applied to the Bsc course since i dont know whether or know I want to do masters at imperial (but i do want to do a masters in the future, just dont know where), but given that there is a difference in the offer rate i emailed the admissions team about this so I might change to apply for Msci theory physics instead.

in general, im just a bit confused since the applications to admissions ratio on both the bsc and msci website is 7:1, so I thought the offer rate should be the same for both courses! Im just worried that I will be at a disadvantage since I applied to the Bsc course instead and in the statistics here:

https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/undergraduate_admissions_2#incoming-1360744

i did some calculations (im a nerd) and imperial clearly does favour those who applied to the Msci course over those who applied for the Bsc course, even though they are the same course for 1st (maybe 2nd) year.

also there is a flexibility in changing between bsc and msci course in the first 2 years, which doesnt really help in justfying their reasons for higher offer rate for the Msci course.

sorry about the rant, but i only have a few days to change course from bsc to msci on ucas (im an oxbridge applicant so I handed in all my applications early)

change it. it’s easier to change from an MSci to a BSc than a BSc to an MSci. also i believe they have the same entry grades, no?
Original post by meganw03
when did u submit ur application? im going for geology so i think same department, trynna figure out when ill get mine ahhaha im constantly on my emails at the mo. good luck tho dude you'll smash it! :smile:

I submitted my application on the 1st of October
when did u submit ur application? im going for geology so i think same department, trynna figure out when ill get mine ahhaha im constantly on my emails at the mo. good luck tho dude you'll smash it! :smile:

Also thanks :smile: hope you get an interview too!
change it. it’s easier to change from an MSci to a BSc than a BSc to an MSci. also i believe they have the same entry grades, no?

Yes, I think I might change it anyways, but im not sure if they will give higher conditional offers to those who applied to msci than those who applied for bsc. And yes, they do have same entry grades.

This is all just a bit strange to me to be fair.
Reply 189

I think the difference is more due to the standard of applicants - it makes sense that people with better grades or who are more committed would apply for the longer degree. On an individual basis it shouldn't matter, because it is very easy to switch between them both before and after you start.

Yes, I think I might change it anyways, but im not sure if they will give higher conditional offers to those who applied to msci than those who applied for bsc. And yes, they do have same entry grades.

This is all just a bit strange to me to be fair.

Offer is the same regardless
Original post by Sinnoh
I think the difference is more due to the standard of applicants - it makes sense that people with better grades or who are more committed would apply for the longer degree. On an individual basis it shouldn't matter, because it is very easy to switch between them both before and after you start.

Offer is the same regardless

Thanks! Will have a think and see whether admissions team replies to me or not xD
Might change it to msci soon.
Reply 191
Has anyone received an invite for the mechanical engineering admissions test yet?
Original post by pg4321
Has anyone received an invite for the mechanical engineering admissions test yet?

No. If you applied before the 15th October, the admission test is held in November. So you'll probably get a reply within 2/3 weeks from now.
Original post by Sinnoh
Hi everyone, this is the discussion/chat thread for those of you applying to undergraduate courses at Imperial for 2022 entry. Chat with potential coursemates, see who's getting offers, etc.

If you have any general questions about the uni, ask here or have a look at the 'Ask An Imperial Student' thread:
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6421814

Template to get discussion going:
1 - What course are you thinking of applying for?
2 - What A-levels (or equivalent) are you taking?
3 - Are you sitting an admissions test for your course?
4 - Why Imperial?
5 - What other unis are you interested in applying for?

If you're applying for postgraduate, check out the 2021/22 applicants' thread here: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6646978

N. B. Sharing socials/encouraging off-site discussion on the forum isn't allowed - your post will be removed

1. Msci Physics with Theoretical Physics
2. A-level Physics, Mathematics, and Chemistry with predicted A*A*A
3. Will be sitting their Physics Aptitude online test in February.
4. I really like Imperial's course curriculum and seeing all of their new research is very inspiring to me! I also went to one of their open day tours and really loved the campus and the whole vibe of the uni.
5. I have also applied to Oxford, UCL, KCL and Bristol.
1. Msci physics with theoretical physics
2. Maths FM physics chem
3. There's an online admissions test in Feb.
4. I was taught by an academic from imperial throughout year 12 and was lucky enough to attend a few lectures at Imperial and met an ex professor. It seemed like a brilliant university and I like the modules taught - particularly in year 3.
5. Oxford Warwick st Andrews Edinburgh
(edited 2 years ago)
good luck to everyone who has an interview!
Original post by teddyblue
1. Msci Physics with Theoretical Physics
2. A-level Physics, Mathematics, and Chemistry with predicted A*A*A
3. Will be sitting their Physics Aptitude online test in February.
4. I really like Imperial's course curriculum and seeing all of their new research is very inspiring to me! I also went to one of their open day tours and really loved the campus and the whole vibe of the uni.
5. I have also applied to Oxford, UCL, KCL and Bristol.

hi! lol i applied to the same 4 unis as you
Original post by philogrobized
1. Msci physics with theoretical physics
2. Maths FM physics chem
3. There's an online admissions test in Feb.
4. I was taught by an academic from imperial throughout year 12 and was lucky enough to attend a few lectures at Imperial and met an ex professor. It seemed like a brilliant university and I like the modules taught - particularly in year 3.
5. Oxford Warwick st Andrews Edinburgh

taught by an academic? thats so cool!

anyways its cool to see some people applying to the same courses as I am to mostly same unis even though we are technically competing against each other lmao
Reply 197
international application here
1. Electronic and Information Engineering
2. Maths FM physics A*A*(predicted)A*(achieved)
3. no
4. it's ImPeRiaL!
5. Ucl Edinburgh Kcl Manchester
(edited 2 years ago)
hi! lol i applied to the same 4 unis as you

taught by an academic? thats so cool!

anyways its cool to see some people applying to the same courses as I am to mostly same unis even though we are technically competing against each other lmao

oh all msci theoretical physics too? maybe we will end up at the same course : ) good luck !!!
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by Sinnoh
Hi everyone, this is the discussion/chat thread for those of you applying to undergraduate courses at Imperial for 2022 entry. Chat with potential coursemates, see who's getting offers, etc.

If you have any general questions about the uni, ask here or have a look at the 'Ask An Imperial Student' thread:
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6421814

Template to get discussion going:
1 - What course are you thinking of applying for?
2 - What A-levels (or equivalent) are you taking?
3 - Are you sitting an admissions test for your course?
4 - Why Imperial?
5 - What other unis are you interested in applying for?

If you're applying for postgraduate, check out the 2021/22 applicants' thread here: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6646978

N. B. Sharing socials/encouraging off-site discussion on the forum isn't allowed - your post will be removed

1. Msci Chemistry with Molecular Physics
2. Chemistry, Physics, Maths & EPQ: A*A*A*A*
Lil’ bit of Further Maths on the side too through Imperial
3. Nope 😊
4. Love the fact that I can focus on chemistry whilst still being able to keep up the relevant bits of physics that will help.
5. Cambridge (Phys Natsci), UCL (Chemistry), Durham (Chemistry), Manchester (Chemistry)
(edited 2 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending