The Student Room Group

Did you ever question whether or not it is right to eat meat and how it is produced?

If your parents bring you up as a meat eater, you don't have any idea where meat comes from when you're a baby - your parents just give it to you. At some point, you realise that animals had to be killed to produce it.

I am curious as to when you first realised that animals were killed to produce meat and when (if ever) you considered whether or not it is right to eat animals. When considering whether or not it is right, did you look into how animals are slaughtered?

Children aren't educated on how exactly meat is produced but most adults think that it's done humanely (even though this isn't really the case in reality) so I am wondering when exactly people first start to think that it's humane, and if most children go through a stage where they imagine it's not produced humanely but just continue eating meat anyway because they don't care about the animals.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hmmm, well I often think that if that animal wasn't being bred for consumption it probably would not have even had a life to begin with. I think a lot of the animals are treated well, at least in the UK ( I know not every single 1 will have been), but generally speaking I think that a lot of them have a fairly good/happy life.
Without people breeding animals for consumption we would have to chase down and kill the animals ourselves which would probably be far less humane.
Reply 2
Original post by JaseyB
Hmmm, well I often think that if that animal wasn't being bred for consumption it probably would not have even had a life to begin with. I think a lot of the animals are treated well, at least in the UK ( I know not every single 1 will have been), but generally speaking I think that a lot of them have a fairly good/happy life.
Without people breeding animals for consumption we would have to chase down and kill the animals ourselves which would probably be far less humane.

The thing is, factory farming is really inhumane and a lot of farmers abuse the animals and do things like cutting off chickens' beaks without anaesthetic which is really painful. In theory, slaughter should be "humane" but it isn't in practice. For example, most pigs are stunned by sufocating them with CO2 gas. This is really distressing for them and leaves them fighting for their lives for up to a minute or possibly more. And they have a similar intelligence to dogs! Cows are normally bolt stunned and about an eighth of the time, it doesn't work properly and the animal is slaughtered fully concious. Also animals are abused by slaughterhouse workers all the time.

I personally think that it would be much better if the animals never lived rather than being bred for meat as they mostly have a horribly life and a nasty death. I'm sure you wouldn't think people should have babies if they were going to be abused and murdered.

So when you first realised that animals have to be killed for meat, did you question how they are killed at all, did you just assume that it's done humanely or did you not give it any thought.

We wouldn't have to chase down and kill animals, we could all be vegan. And veganism is better for our health as illustrated in the documentary The Game Changers.
No, it tastes too nice.
I just eat halal and i'm good.
Reply 5
Original post by Chief Wiggum
No, it tastes too nice.

So you don't care how much suffering may be inflicted as long as you enjoy the taste?

May I ask, do you care about dogs at all and would it bother you if your actions led to dogs being tortured?
Reply 6
Original post by Justaboutalive
I just eat halal and i'm good.

That's terrible as animals slaughtered for halal meat don't have to be stunned so may have their throats slit while fully concious. Just imagine someone doing that to you. Does that not bother you?
I think more about where it comes from myself.
Reply 8
Original post by barnet1471
I think more about where it comes from myself.

And would it bother you to learn that animals get tortured and killed inhumanely for meat?
Reply 9
Some people simply dont care whether there is suffering or not. Not everyone's set of morals lines up to yours.

This is also your 4th vegan thread in the past week, calm down.
"Did you ever question whether or not it is right to eat meat and how it is produced?"

yes, I'm vegan :h:

the thought of eating dead animals when I could otherwise avoid to did not sit right with me at quite a young age so became vegetarian on and off. We were NOT a huge meat eating family anyway especially considering animal proteins tend to be a tad pricier than plant ones

As I became older, I learnt more about the animal agriculture industry and vegan philosophy and became vegan! :smile:
I've seen you talk about this in another thread. I think at some point you'll have to accept that there are people who are fully aware and are happy to continue eating meat simply because it's food that they enjoy.
There are studies and documentaries out there that are pretty well known, and doing what you're trying on a much bigger scale, so I don't really see the point in constantly trying to push this agenda of yours.
Reply 12
Original post by Foxehh
Some people simply dont care whether there is suffering or not. Not everyone's set of morals lines up to yours.

This is also your 4th vegan thread in the past week, calm down.

I don't understand how people can justify eating meat if they realise how much suffering goes on though. I agree with the statement "The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing".
Reply 13
Original post by Obolinda
"Did you ever question whether or not it is right to eat meat and how it is produced?"

yes, I'm vegan :h:

the thought of eating dead animals when I could otherwise avoid to did not sit right with me at quite a young age so became vegetarian on and off. We were NOT a huge meat eating family anyway especially considering animal proteins tend to be a tad pricier than plant ones

As I became older, I learnt more about the animal agriculture industry and vegan philosophy and became vegan! :smile:

You are an asset to humanity. I can't understand why more people don't feel that way. Great to hear from a fellow vegan. :smile:
Reply 14
Does it not bother you if your diet causes a lot of unnecessary suffering? By the way how do you feel about people torturing dogs?
Can you stop trolling with threads about veganism?
Reply 16
Original post by maths42
I don't understand how people can justify eating meat if they realise how much suffering goes on though. I agree with the statement "The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing".

Not everything people do has to be justified.
Reply 17
I wonder if you would have said the same thing to people who opposed what the nazis did if you'd been alive back then.
Reply 18
Original post by sufys12
Can you stop trolling with threads about veganism?

I fail to see how it is trolling to try to raise awareness of the fact that most people are supporting something that causes a huge amount of suffering.
Original post by maths42
Does it not bother you if your diet causes a lot of unnecessary suffering? By the way how do you feel about people torturing dogs?

People don't eat dogs, you idiot. Not here anyways.
The suffering is necessary. It gets food on my plate.

Quick Reply

Latest