Students returning to university in England from 17 May

Watch
Uni_Student321
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
From BBC News - https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-56731330

"Students on all university courses in England will return "no earlier than 17 May", the government has announced.

That would mean a return to campuses for about a million students, who have only been able to study online since the Christmas holidays.

Since the start of the year, only students on practical, hands-on courses have been allowed in-person teaching.

Students will be offered three supervised Covid tests when they return to university next month."
dona6842
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
By May we would already be done with studies and only have exams left. So basically a whole university year has been online. I've gotten used to online studies so I don't actually mind but I wish they could've warned us earlier so I wouldn't have wasted accommodation rent and stayed home instead.
Anonymous #1
Report 4 weeks ago
It's so annoying I decided at the end of October to return home for reading week and proceeded to stay home for the November lockdown thinking that I could return in January and the (COVID) situation would be better, obviously January came along and it was a lot worse so I remained home during Spring term. I had seen Wales is allowing students back and always thought we'd be returning post-Easter so actually decided to return to my uni accommodation yesterday, giving me a week to get back into things before term started...
Its very quiet here, which I did half expect as I imagined people would come back later in the week, but now I'm debating whether or not to return home later this week or to just stay here at Uni. I mean I'll have to gather the general consensus from the people I know but I imagine most people will remain here for the term, despite gov advice, I mean whats so different from when we started last Sept? The pubs are semi open, shops are open, rule of 6, all of that 'fun' stuff so why are we NOW not allowed back but they were more than happy for us to send us off and have us sign accommodation forms last Sept...
Not to mention May 17th... I have friends who's exams end by May 20th - that's it, beyond that point they're done for the year! My last exam is June 7th and term 'officially' ends on June 11th, what's the point of allowing Uni returns for a matter of weeks? By the time we've arrived and unpacked, we'll be packing our bags to move out! If they really want to delay our return they may as well just end this year now (and please, give me some money back Mr boris sir!!) so sick of the way we've been handled through this pandemic - as a first year of uni it has proper stunk
MajorFader
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
That’s exam season for us; which is so pointless haha.
Anonymous #2
Report 4 weeks ago
Yeah I think it’s too late for them to try and return to in person lectures that late in term, most degrees’ teaching is done by then. Also it poses an issue for me personally as I have exited my accommodation contract and now commute two hours weekly for my clinical training (I do dentistry). So if lectures are now to be online I’m going to have to ask a friend if I can live with them! To be honest as long as they keep the option open for doing lectures online if we need to, I should be fine. I’m also worried about uni going back to normal so soon because if lectures are alright to be in person, surely exams are? I’ve been preparing for open book exams as that’s what my uni has said we’re having...I really hope this shituation just works out favourably for as many people as possible xx
Starlight15
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I'll be almost finish with second year of university, but I least I can spend my last days face to face if possible
Last edited by Starlight15; 4 weeks ago
parmezanne
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Far, far too late.

I am too angry to even comment on it for now :lol:
Ðeggs
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I’m going back sooner my flight is booked already for next week.
barnet1471
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
If the government had not had students go back in October and ensured that no rent would be paid if you stayed at home (if not going to university from home already), then there would not have been the thousands effectively trapped in their rooms as happened in Manchester and some other places.

If the government had acted promptly in December to close schools a fortnight before Christmas and had decided on reduced mixing for one day from the start, the re-opening of activity could have started with schools in mid-February, and then early May or even earlier for universities. May 17th is hardly worth returning, would be better to be limited courses only and all be offered online if they wanted to continue that way.

This government has not got a clue about real life.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How do you prefer to get careers advice?

I like to speak to my friends and family (8)
10.39%
I like to do my own research online using careers specific websites (50)
64.94%
I like speaking to the careers advisors at school, college or uni (11)
14.29%
I prefer to listen watch videos or listen to podcasts of people in my chosen career (7)
9.09%
Something else (let us know in the thread) (1)
1.3%

Watched Threads