How should i prepare for my end of year 12 exams in Biology and Chemistry?

Watch this thread
Haider203
Badges: 3
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
It has been a tough year studying A Level Biology and Chemistry after having six months of no studies. It took me until about a month ago, which I know is quite late, to find my revision technique. I have been getting D's, E's and U's in all of my end of topic tests but now as we go along the topics, I make flashcards with one question at the front of one flashcard and an answer at the back and then learn them and do practice papers. My flashcards are organised into colours, spec points etc. This has really improved my grades but I've had my light bulb moment a little too late. I only started a month ago to utilise the weekends to make flashcards and memorise from the begining of A Level content for Biology and Chemistry in order to catch up for the time that the real A levels come along but not for this so I barely have flashcards for anything we've done this year and now our end of year exams are in a month and a bit. I am not feeling very optimistic and was wondering if anyone could advise me on how best to prepare for my end of year twelve exams within the next month and a bit. And will it badly affect my university applications if i fail these mocks baring in mind our next mock exams will be in year 13 December.
Maleeka Saleem
Badges: 1
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 year ago
I do A-Level biology (currently in Year 13), and one thing that has helped me greatly (and wish I had done more of in the past) is doing past papers. For me, that's what has boosted my grades significantly and helped me a lot in exams. https://www.physicsandmathstutor.com/ has lots of past papers for both bio and chem as well as stuff on required practicals, etc. Do a paper (and if you get tons wrong at first that's completely fine).. then take the time to mark it and really pay attention to the wordings in the markscheme because for bio, you need to be very specific. Then, at a later date, come back to that paper and do it again. I assure you you will have improved. Practice is the way to go!

Also, active recall is a very good technique that I know loads of students use - I'm not the best person to give advice on this but search it up, apparently it really helps. How it basically works is, you read a bit of the textbook, then make notes or jot down anything you remember FROM MEMORY and don't look at the book. This helps keep the information in your head longer and is far more effective than simply making notes looking at the textbook if ygm.

And about your last comment, I'm sure they will take into consideration that you haven't had in school learning for ages. And if you do really well in the forthcoming exams and other assessments, they will look at your progress and see how far you've come (that's a part of what they're doing for year 13's this year). Don't stress too much, relax when your mind and body needs it, and you will be fine. Keep in mind that you've still got time and chances so use that as motivation to do the best you can. Hope this helps! Good luck!
dentt
Badges: 10
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Haider203)
It has been a tough year studying A Level Biology and Chemistry after having six months of no studies. It took me until about a month ago, which I know is quite late, to find my revision technique. I have been getting D's, E's and U's in all of my end of topic tests but now as we go along the topics, I make flashcards with one question at the front of one flashcard and an answer at the back and then learn them and do practice papers. My flashcards are organised into colours, spec points etc. This has really improved my grades but I've had my light bulb moment a little too late. I only started a month ago to utilise the weekends to make flashcards and memorise from the begining of A Level content for Biology and Chemistry in order to catch up for the time that the real A levels come along but not for this so I barely have flashcards for anything we've done this year and now our end of year exams are in a month and a bit. I am not feeling very optimistic and was wondering if anyone could advise me on how best to prepare for my end of year twelve exams within the next month and a bit. And will it badly affect my university applications if i fail these mocks baring in mind our next mock exams will be in year 13 December.
I would say just do as many exam questions as you can. This way, you can learn the content you need to, as well as specific exam techniques and mark scheme wording (vital if you want a good grade in bio!). If there's a few topics you really struggle with, then make a mindmap of the spec point, and write all the bits of info you need to know about it. Also when doing qs, do them topic by topic, I found this really helped me to learn exam technique for specific qs.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were exams easier or harder than you expected?

Easier (21)
26.92%
As I expected (24)
30.77%
Harder (29)
37.18%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (4)
5.13%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise