Foundation and higher maths for medicine

Watch this thread
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hi, I’m in y8, start GCSEs in y9. I want to go into medicine when I’m older but most schools require b’s in maths. I’ve been put on foundation maths even though I always try so hard in maths, get 80% in tests etc. However one of my grades suddenly slipped to 30% but went back up to 86%. How can I persuade my teacher to let me do higher maths instead of foundation. I really really need to get higher than a 5 to do medicine (at least a 6). Medicine is my absolute dream and I really need to do higher maths at gcse rather than foundation. If I absolutely can’t do the higher paper because the school won’t let me, is there anyway I can get into medicine?
artful_lounger
Badges: 21
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 year ago
You could always just retake the GCSE doing the higher paper afterwards in the worst case scenario. That isn't ideal generally, but snice for some reason your school is makign you start GCSEs a year early it does give you more time to do so before 6th form. Likewise it also gives you more time to improve in maths and change to the higher tier later.

I was set to do the foundation tier in GCSE Spanish for ages, until the day before our oral exams in year 11 my teacher said she thought I could do well enough to take the higher tier, so I was assessed for that in the oral exam and entered for the higher tier for the written papers later. So it's not like starting on the foundation tier precludes you from moving to do the higher tier later, necessarily.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by artful_lounger)
You could always just retake the GCSE doing the higher paper afterwards in the worst case scenario. That isn't ideal generally, but snice for some reason your school is makign you start GCSEs a year early it does give you more time to do so before 6th form. Likewise it also gives you more time to improve in maths and change to the higher tier later.

I was set to do the foundation tier in GCSE Spanish for ages, until the day before our oral exams in year 11 my teacher said she thought I could do well enough to take the higher tier, so I was assessed for that in the oral exam and entered for the higher tier for the written papers later. So it's not like starting on the foundation tier precludes you from moving to do the higher tier later, necessarily.
Thank you! Is there anyway I can just ask my teacher tho, my uni that I want to go to doesn’t allow resits?
Democracy
Badges: 20
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Hi, I’m in y8, start GCSEs in y9. I want to go into medicine when I’m older but most schools require b’s in maths. I’ve been put on foundation maths even though I always try so hard in maths, get 80% in tests etc. However one of my grades suddenly slipped to 30% but went back up to 86%. How can I persuade my teacher to let me do higher maths instead of foundation. I really really need to get higher than a 5 to do medicine (at least a 6). Medicine is my absolute dream and I really need to do higher maths at gcse rather than foundation. If I absolutely can’t do the higher paper because the school won’t let me, is there anyway I can get into medicine?
Have you explained to your teacher that you're interested in doing medicine? That might help.

If your grades have otherwise been high and you've only had one blip, it doesn't seem quite right that you shouldn't be able to do higher tier - is there another reason perhaps?

You could also ask your parents to speak with your teacher if you think you're not getting anywhere.
artful_lounger
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
Thank you! Is there anyway I can just ask my teacher tho, my uni that I want to go to doesn’t allow resits?
Just talk to your teacher about it. Also as I said, just because you don't start in higher tier doesn't mean you won't be able to take the higher tier paper eventually (i.e. the first time, not as a resit).I believe most medical schools aren't too fussy about GCSE resits as well, but ecolier undoubtedly will know which ones are and may be able to advise

Additionally, you should not be targeting just one singular university for medicine, and certainly it's too early to really be considering any specific medical schools imo. You should be targeting medicine, as a career, and applying tactically to whichever medical schools you have the best chance of getting into - which you can't think about until at least you've completed your GCSEs and can start considering which medical schools your GCSE profile will/won't be competitive for, really.

Remember that there is no sense of "brand name" of university in medicine whatsoever as medical specialty recruitment in the UK is normally done "blind" as I understand so they won't even see what medical school you went to anyway, and foundation placement is assigned by an algorithm that doesn't have any way to take into account which medical school you went to.
Last edited by artful_lounger; 1 year ago
Anonymous #1
Just talk to your teacher about it. Also as I said, just because you don't start in higher tier doesn't mean you won't be able to take the higher tier paper eventually (i.e. the first time, not as a resit).I believe most medical schools aren't too fussy about GCSE resits as well, but ecolier undoubtedly will know which ones are and may be able to advise

Additionally, you should not be targeting just one singular university for medicine, and certainly it's too early to really be considering any specific medical schools imo. You should be targeting medicine, as a career, and applying tactically to whichever medical schools you have the best chance of getting into - which you can't think about until at least you've completed your GCSEs and can start considering which medical schools your GCSE profile will/won't be competitive for, really.

Remember that there is no sense of "brand name" of university in medicine whatsoever as medical specialty recruitment in the UK is normally done "blind" as I understand so they won't even see what medical school you went to anyway, and foundation placement is assigned by an algorithm that doesn't have any way to take into account which medical school you went to.
I’ve got several universities in mind.... but they all are very strict on resits. Also I’ve heard that I can’t do a level chemistry if I don’t get a b/6 in maths. My parents have emailed my teacher but he won’t reply to them, it’s been ages but still no reply! I’ll try talking to my teacher again when I go back in school. Thank you for both of your help though Democracy
artful_lounger
@artful_lounger
(Original post by Democracy)
Have you explained to your teacher that you're interested in doing medicine? That might help.

If your grades have otherwise been high and you've only had one blip, it doesn't seem quite right that you shouldn't be able to do higher tier - is there another reason perhaps?

You could also ask your parents to speak with your teacher if you think you're not getting anywhere.
Anonymous #1
Hopefully I tagged the right artful_lounger
artful_lounger
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Democracy)

In y7, I was also put in third set but I’ve always got 60-80% in tests. They’re only allowing the top two sets to do higher maths, I just hope they understand at some point and let me do higher!
artful_lounger
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
Hopefully I tagged the right artful_lounger
artful_lounger
Pretty sure there's only one on here (sometimes I wonder if I'm the only person that read the keys to the kingdom series...it wasn't AS good as the old kingdom series but it was ok?!)

Anyway GCSE requirements for A-levels are set by individual schools, not the exam board, so it depends on the school's requirement. Also not all medical schools require A-level chemistry (about half do I think).
Anonymous #1
Pretty sure there's only one on here (sometimes I wonder if I'm the only person that read the keys to the kingdom series...it wasn't AS good as the old kingdom series but it was ok?!)

Anyway GCSE requirements for A-levels are set by individual schools, not the exam board, so it depends on the school's requirement. Also not all medical schools require A-level chemistry (about half do I think).
Apparently there’s two 🧐 but is it worth telling my school that I enjoy maths and would be interested to taking it on at a level. Even though I’m not 100% sure on a levels as I’m only in y8, I am considering it so would it be worth telling my teacher that?
artful_lounger
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
Apparently there’s two 🧐 but is it worth telling my school that I enjoy maths and would be interested to taking it on at a level. Even though I’m not 100% sure on a levels as I’m only in y8, I am considering it so would it be worth telling my teacher that?
No, just discuss your GCSE prospects and ask if you can still do the higher tier, either from the start or if you do well in your studies when you being the GCSE in earnest. It's quite early to be choosing A-levels, and since maths isnt required (or preferred) by medical schools it's not like planning to take bio/chem which are generally required. It just seems abitrary at this point to say that.
Anonymous #1
No, just discuss your GCSE prospects and ask if you can still do the higher tier, either from the start or if you do well in your studies when you being the GCSE in earnest. It's quite early to be choosing A-levels, and since maths isnt required (or preferred) by medical schools it's not like planning to take bio/chem which are generally required. It just seems abitrary at this point to say that.
I know it seems a bit random but my teacher doesn’t do anything about it. Also this is irrelevant but am I able to take bio, chem and maths at a level? I enjoy them all currently or would these three subjects be looked on as weird at med school if I took all three?
Anonymous #1
I know it seems a bit random but my teacher doesn’t do anything about it. Also this is irrelevant but am I able to take bio, chem and maths at a level? I enjoy them all currently or would these three subjects be looked on as weird at med school if I took all three?
I’ll try and speak to my teacher again when I go back next week. I’ll see what he says, is it worth speaking to my form tutor or head of maths if he doesn’t listen? Particularly if I get put in foundation in y9? Tysm for your help as well btw x
Muttley79
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
I teach MAths - Year 8 is FAR to early to be putting you into Foundation.

These are quite good for improving your level: https://www.missbsresources.com/teac...mathspassports
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Muttley79)
I teach MAths - Year 8 is FAR to early to be putting you into Foundation.

These are quite good for improving your level: https://www.missbsresources.com/teac...mathspassports
Thank you! As a person who teaches maths, is foundation and higher maths the same content that you learn?
Anonymous #1
Thank you! As a person who teaches maths, is foundation and higher maths the same content that you learn?
Is it a different test or the same exam at the end?
Muttley79
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
There is more content in Higher so it's important to not teach only Foundation too early.
Muttley79
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
Is it a different test or the same exam at the end?
Different exams with some common questions. Look at the exam board websites for the syllabus[specification] and past papers.
artful_lounger
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
Whether you can take them depends on your school's requirements, there is no reason you couldn't though. It's a pretty common combination for prospective medics to take, although maths certainly isn't required so it depends on your preference and aptitude for the subject. If you are good at maths then it's a fine choice.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA A-level Physics Paper 1 exam go?

Great! Feeling positive (147)
28.94%
It went fairly well (241)
47.44%
It didn't go too well (77)
15.16%
TERRIBLE! (43)
8.46%

Watched Threads