The Student Room Group

psychology course

Im in my first year if a levels im taking maths psychology and economics and i want to do a psychology course at uni im already struggling with first year maths and dont think its possible for me to do another year. If i take AS maths instead of a full a level would it prevent me from doing psychology at uni?
Wait, so you’re doing 3 subjects at AS and you’re considering dropping it meaning you’ll do 2 in year 13? Huh
Reply 2
Original post by Kawalas108
Wait, so you’re doing 3 subjects at AS and you’re considering dropping it meaning you’ll do 2 in year 13? Huh

Omg i completley forgot about that
You have to complete 3 A levels. If you are at college/sixth form they will require you to do 3 A levels and you won't be able to get into a lot of unis without 3. You could redo your 1st year, if your college/sixth form allows but normally they would want you to have a different A level combo and a reason as to why you are redoing your 1st year (is my understanding don't quote me on this). I would go and ask your tutor about it and see what they say.

To answer your question: Most prefer you to have maths or a science but if you don't mind limiting your options a bit, then you don't have to have maths.
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by something_orphic
You have to complete 3 A levels. If you are at college/sixth form they will require you to do 3 A levels and you won't be able to get into a lot of unis without 3. You could redo your 1st year, if your college/sixth form allows but normally they would want you to have a different A level combo and a reason as to why you are redoing your 1st year (is my understanding don't quote me on this). I would go and ask your tutor about it and see what they say.

To answer your question: Most prefer you to have maths or a science but if you don't mind limiting your options a bit, then you don't have to have maths.

Thank you so much
Psychology is a science degree - and you need a reasonable level of Maths, either GCSE or A level depending on the Uni. If you don't enjoy Maths you may find the statistics work within the degree hard going.

2 A levels plus AS may get you a place on a Foundation course leading to a full degree, or you may be okay at a lower ranking 'points' Uni. You should also check if your school will allow you to drop an entire subject as you will no longer have a full study load.
Psychology with Foundation example : Essex (https://www.essex.ac.uk/courses/ug00361/4/bsc-psychology)
Psychology with low UCAS points example : Anglia Ruskin (https://aru.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/psychology#entry_requirements)

Quick Reply