The Student Room Group

Thoughts on wearing satin bonnets in public?

Title.

Scroll to see replies

🤷*♂️
(edited 3 years ago)
Interesting.
If you want to look ridiculous then go right ahead.
I think that was popular in the 1900's?
You could start a new trend :smile:
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 5
Your choice, remember to keep yourself wrapped up in that towel.
we love a bit of Sanditon us :h:
Reply 7
Original post by DiddyDec

So you think they look ridiculous?
Reply 8
Original post by LDTBOAG
Your choice, remember to keep yourself wrapped up in that towel.

Towel?
Original post by DiamondDia
Title.

Personally, I think it depends, same with when guys wear durags in public. I remember on the first day of school when people had newly joined my school’s sixth form and there were guys wearing durags with *suits* on their first day of school. In such settings maybe switch the bonnet for a scarf/head-wrap kind of thing. If you’re just going to the supermarket I don’t see any problem. Side-note: I was watching a yt video earlier today and a group of black girls were talking about their experience at Cambridge. They were saying that they could get away with wearing a bonnet around because people thought it was a beret. People were complementing them on their ‘new hat’, I thought that was kind of funny
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 10
That's a HARD no
Original post by LoveAmore
Personally, I think it depends, same with when guys wear durags in public. I remember on the first day of school when people had newly joined my school’s sixth form and there were guys wearing durags with *suits* on their first day of school. In such settings maybe switch the bonnet for a scarf/head-wrap kind of thing. If you’re just going to the supermarket I don’t see any problem. Side-note: I was watching a yt video earlier today and a group of black girls were talking about their experience at Cambridge. They were saying that they could get away with wearing a bonnet around because people thought it was a beret. People were complementing them on their ‘new hat’, I thought that was kind of funny

Lmao, yeah, I meant in public as in, not in specific settings where you’d need to be wearing formal attire. I mean like just in public, like going out to the supermarket or just walking around in town in your free time etc.
I think its ok for casual outings. (like the supermarket or in your local area).
Reply 13
Original post by DiddyDec

That’s super offensive to WoC.
I wear it a times.
rather inconsequential matter
it looks fine
Well today I learnt there are different types of bonnet (I was wondering how satin would hold that stereotypical Victorian bonnet shape!) - I can't see a problem with wearing a satin bonnet in public though, they look fine
Original post by K-K-K
That’s super offensive to WoC.

WoC?
Reply 17
Original post by NEW NEWS
WoC?

Women of colour.
Original post by K-K-K
Women of colour.

Oh, and why is it so offensive what @DiddyDec wrote?
Reply 19
Original post by NEW NEWS
Oh, and why is it so offensive what @DiddyDec wrote?

Because it’s an item of clothing worn quite commonly by WoC and that user said they look ridiculous.

Quick Reply

Latest