Best UK unis for law (not just based on ranking)?

Watch
sophieisdecent
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
For context, I'm in year 11, and I'm interested in doing law at uni. I'm going to do A-Level English lit, history and biology, in which I tend to get 7s, 8s and 9s (9s in English, 7s and 8s in history and biology). However, I'm not sure how I'll do at A-Levels. I'm sure I can't do too badly, though I don't think I'll know until I actually start them. This is just so you understand my academic abilities, by the way, not just me bragging or something.

I've spent a lot of today researching law degrees, which has also included watching YouTube videos about doing law at uni.

I think I'd prefer if there was more of a focus on coursework over exams, since I think I'd cope better with coursework than exams. This is because
I'm one of those students that, when we don't revise in class, revises at the last minute, crams in around 75% of the information and ends up getting a 7. With A-Levels, though, I'm going to work on time management and stuff so I don't procrastinate and can get decent grades, plus it will help me a bit with adjusting to the uni workload. I'm aiming for As in English lit and history, and at least a B in biology (I only took it because one of my other ones got cancelled and the other thing I would've wanted to do instead was full, so I don't care about it as much).

Anyway, I'm not sure about some courses. On paper, they seem pretty good, but they either have a shockingly low student satisfaction rating or (in York's case) a YouTuber who did law at York said that the staff were pretty crap in general.

This isn't me asking people to tell me to look at rankings and stuff. I want law students' individual experiences with their unis, and whether or not they'd recommend going to them.
one_two_three
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I think my experience of studying law at university is applicable to any university. People can say that their lecturers/tutors are crap but, in my experience, they have a real passion for what they are studying and are constantly teaching people to do the bare minimum and some people not even doing the required reading and seminar prep at times. It could probably be quite demoralising. In seminars when it has been a really good group and everyone has done the required reading and more you find that the debates that are had between different viewpoints really looks at the small details of the law and it is really engaging and the same lecturers get really involved - they go above and beyond in these situations because this is their passion which is why they continued to study.

Your lecture time will teach you the absolute bare minimum of what you need to know and a lot of what you learn will be from independent learning outside of the classroom. The requirement is on you to make that effort. I had a great group of friends and we would study together, discuss topics together and really push each other. I think that made my experience and made me a lot better at studying because we relied on each other to challenge our knowledge, but also for motivation when it was difficult.

In your first two years you have very little control over coursework/exam ratio. It will likely be an even split because there are certain subjects that they have to teach for it to be a qualifying law degree. In your third year it is down to yourself how you are assessed because you are choosing your modules. To limit yourself by the assessment method will limit what you can study and you may miss out on modules that would really interest you.

Everything I have said is applicable to any university that you choose - I always say that people who had a great time rarely write about it because they are too busy having a great time. People that are disgruntled will write about it. Every single university in the country will have a bad tutor or two there and every single university will have tutors going above what is required if you show willing and engage/ask.

Look at the Law societies at the universities for a good indication of the course. An active law society will often mean a lot of people are engaged and enjoying themselves there. Also, it provides an indication of where a lot of people are recruited after uni because firms sponsor law societies and host events for them.
EU Yakov
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
oxbridge? but maybe not for someone with a 7
chalbliagtelle
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
No idea how the new A Level grades work but Oxbridge are going to be the best courses with the best academics and support I would think if you have the grades to get in.

I'm at Exeter and it's a mixed bag. i've had a couple of tutors that are incredibly engaged. the uni's also really strong in family law, so anything to do with family law or socio-legal research is really good. if you're interested in that i'd recommend the uni no doubt (bristol is also good for this i hear but be aware the offer for bristol is A*AA idk what that is in numbers). like half my year does family law but the lecturers genuinely try so hard to make it a good experience. but i've also had many lecturers who, for want of a better phrase, could not give less of an f and i've heard the student satisfaction is shocking. i think this is a universal thing in that you'll always have lecturers who don't want to be there just like there will be loads of students who don't really want to be there either no matter what uni you're in but there've been times it's been especially bad here. for example my dissertation supervisor has been literally amazing, helped me develop so much, written me references for other courses, advised me on masters degrees, everything - but i know others where their diss supervisor did literally f all and they'd have to make a huge effort to even schedule meetings. BUT the law society is great though and the committee is hugely engaged so we have tons of employability/firm events so it's not bad for that at all. you will meet some amazing people and it's a great uni for making contacts since everyone is rich lol.

check carefully the unis' course structure you're specifically interested in because in mine in 3rd year we get free choice of what modules to take so we can pick whether we do coursework or exams but up until then it's no control. other unis do it differently.
Uni of Hull Students
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by sophieisdecent)
For context, I'm in year 11, and I'm interested in doing law at uni. I'm going to do A-Level English lit, history and biology, in which I tend to get 7s, 8s and 9s (9s in English, 7s and 8s in history and biology). However, I'm not sure how I'll do at A-Levels. I'm sure I can't do too badly, though I don't think I'll know until I actually start them. This is just so you understand my academic abilities, by the way, not just me bragging or something.

I've spent a lot of today researching law degrees, which has also included watching YouTube videos about doing law at uni.

I think I'd prefer if there was more of a focus on coursework over exams, since I think I'd cope better with coursework than exams. This is because
I'm one of those students that, when we don't revise in class, revises at the last minute, crams in around 75% of the information and ends up getting a 7. With A-Levels, though, I'm going to work on time management and stuff so I don't procrastinate and can get decent grades, plus it will help me a bit with adjusting to the uni workload. I'm aiming for As in English lit and history, and at least a B in biology (I only took it because one of my other ones got cancelled and the other thing I would've wanted to do instead was full, so I don't care about it as much).

Anyway, I'm not sure about some courses. On paper, they seem pretty good, but they either have a shockingly low student satisfaction rating or (in York's case) a YouTuber who did law at York said that the staff were pretty crap in general.

This isn't me asking people to tell me to look at rankings and stuff. I want law students' individual experiences with their unis, and whether or not they'd recommend going to them.
Hey sophieisdecent

We have a really great Law courses here at University of Hull, since you wanted to speak to students who have studied at Hull directly I wanted to let you know that you could speak to Anotidaishe via our Uni Buddy page HERE. I am sure they would be more than happy to speak to you their experience studying that course here at Hull

Megan
University of Hull Student Rep
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How do you prefer to get careers advice?

I like to speak to my friends and family (8)
10.39%
I like to do my own research online using careers specific websites (50)
64.94%
I like speaking to the careers advisors at school, college or uni (11)
14.29%
I prefer to listen watch videos or listen to podcasts of people in my chosen career (7)
9.09%
Something else (let us know in the thread) (1)
1.3%

Watched Threads