Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Does the University (in terms of ranking and ‘prestige’, though both don’t seem that relate imo) matter in terms of STEM degrees? So long as you can graduate with at least 2:1, get relevant skills and work experience - you should be okay regardless of your uni choice?
Anonymous #2
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Does the University (in terms of ranking and ‘prestige’, though both don’t seem that relate imo) matter in terms of STEM degrees? So long as you can graduate with at least 2:1, get relevant skills and work experience - you should be okay regardless of your uni choice?
I personally would say it matters, because courses at top tier universities are much harder compared to ones ranked lower, so getting a first at Oxbridge is a lot more impressive than at other universities that have less rigorous curriculums. However, if you are looking between Oxbridge and Imperial differences might not be as big if there are any at all. In any case, employers know which universities are harder to achieve good grades at, but they will also be looking at work experience and a lot of other factors so although it makes a difference in terms of the quality of education its not the be all end all.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How do you prefer to get careers advice?

I like to speak to my friends and family (3)
15%
I like to do my own research online using careers specific websites (13)
65%
I like speaking to the careers advisors at school, college or uni (2)
10%
I prefer to listen watch videos or listen to podcasts of people in my chosen career (1)
5%
Something else (let us know in the thread) (1)
5%

Watched Threads