The Student Room Group

Number spoofing victim

For the last few weeks, I have been getting calls from numbers which had the same first 8 digits as my number, with the last 3 digits different. I called back one of those numbers but the girl who answered had no idea what I was talking about, so I just blocked all these number on my phone.

I recently got a call from a number which is exactly same as mine (all 11 digits)! Now I am a little concerned.

I did some research and apparantly numbers can be spoofed to scam people but why call me with my own spoofed number? Also, should I inform the network of this? I don't want to change my number as I have had it for a long time. Any comments will be appreciated.
Hi! This exact thing is happening to me lol. First it started with the same 8 digits and different end 3 digits and know it has progressed to completely random numbers calling me.

In this situation there is nothing you can do. Even if you change your number there is nothing stopping them from spoofing it too I’m afraid. The best thing to do is just ignore all the unknown calls or even block them but chances are they are just random innocent people who you ‘called’ first and they are now just calling you back.

Like I said, just ignore them and eventually they do go away. Last time this happened to me was a couple of months ago. I have no idea what provider you are with (I’m with O2) but here is a link to people from EE who are having the same problems: https://community.ee.co.uk/t5/Online-safety/Calls-from-similar-number/td-p/1012450

So you can see that it doesn’t matter want number you have or what provider. There’s a bunch of other threads with questions/answers/advice/experiences so feel free to take a look but there really isn’t much you can do I’m afraid. It’s up to the mobile providers/governments to fix this.

And as for calling you with your own number, I guess they are just trying to make as many calls as possible without actually checking. They are scammers after all.

Hope this helps. Good luck! I hope they provide a fix for this in the upcoming years.
Thanks I hope so too.

This is why I never wanted to give out my phone number on Google, Facebook, Twitter, Insta- but those companies kind of trick you into giving your number over to them in the name of security. I bet there has been a data breach somewhere (facebook had a breach recently afaik) and we will hear about this sometime next year lol.

I hope more people come to know about this number spoofing scam.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending