The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
come on! I've told you already....Don't worry, we all know discrete isn't real maths ;-)
Reply 2
lol, I needed to have a b*tch about it! Tis one of those modules that, if it had a face, you'd have a sudden urge to slap it VERY hard! Or knee it in the face, as my friend Ben would suggest lol. Better yet, do both :biggrin: - Hmmm I'm not a violent person .... honest....*looks angelic*
Reply 3
k@tie
come on! I've told you already....Don't worry, we all know discrete isn't real maths ;-)

:eek: :eek: isn't real maths? :eek: :eek:

Euclid.
Reply 4
distortedgav
lol, I needed to have a b*tch about it! Tis one of those modules that, if it had a face, you'd have a sudden urge to slap it VERY hard! Or knee it in the face, as my friend Ben would suggest lol. Better yet, do both :biggrin: - Hmmm I'm not a violent person .... honest....*looks angelic*

haha angelic?! you! pah. But just don't stress out about it - coz if u get a D or whatever...you can't take it personally...u just can't...coz its discrete (no offence Euclid) just do loads of past papers and learn the syallabus and do the exam and never do discrete again...not even a retake. Sorted :biggrin:
Reply 5
Euclid
:eek: :eek: isn't real maths? :eek: :eek:

Euclid.

come on ... we all know discrete modules are the modules that exam boards offer just to justify that maths A-level is "accessible to all" :biggrin::biggrin:
Reply 6
k@tie
haha angelic?! you! pah. But just don't stress out about it - coz if u get a D or whatever...you can't take it personally...u just can't...coz its discrete (no offence Euclid) just do loads of past papers and learn the syallabus and do the exam and never do discrete again...not even a retake. Sorted :biggrin:

Haha trust me, I have no intention of re-taking, if it goes pearshaped, I'm gonna do a different module. OK it'll mean I'll have done 13 modules, but hopefully D1 wouldn't get counted. And of course I'm angelic! Well...angelic-ish :p:
k@tie
come on ... we all know discrete modules are the modules that exam boards offer just to justify that maths A-level is "accessible to all" :biggrin::biggrin:

+ C1.
Reply 8
endeavour
+ C1.

haha this guy talks sense:biggrin:
Reply 9
endeavour
+ C1.

Hah, so true... my Maths is poor and even I can hack C1 :wink:
Reply 10
lol, C1 has made life for us AS-people a lot easier, I don't mind the whole C-module set up though - means one less applied module than we might have had to do if we doing P1, P2, P3 etc. but yeah I do agree C1 makes things nice and simple for us lol still, makes life a bit easier for me, so I guess I'm not gonna complain too much :tongue:
Reply 11
duno about edexcel but ocr mei D1 papers were so solid. I mustve missed out 2/3 of the paper and i was still 1 mark off an A :smile: God how i love coursework
Reply 12
You had coursework for D1?
k@tie

Yeah, it really isn't proper maths. I'm sure the questions in D1 are designed to avoid anybody putting in independent thought. Although it does make me appreciate Pure Maths- I really enjoyed the P4 exam on Monday whereas this afternoon for D1 I'll probably be bored out of my mind. And then D2 on friday which is a little more challenging (with horrible long explaining questions urgh) The original poster- I'm on OCR but I guess there isn't much difference- you just need to learn the algorithms and carry the one you're told to carry out on each question. check out www.mathsnet.net because I think they have some bits of dicrete which help explain the algorithms and it may be edexcel. Good luck xxx
Reply 14
k@tie

Fair enough, there is a MASSIVE difference between Pure and Decision. However, D2 gets a bit more interesting and shows more of the "maths part" to it. The second year Uni stuff looks prity cool for Decision, goes towards algebra & geometry (:biggrin:). Can't wait!

Euclid
Reply 15
Euclid
Fair enough, there is a MASSIVE difference between Pure and Decision. However, D2 gets a bit more interesting and shows more of the "maths part" to it. The second year Uni stuff looks prity cool for Decision, goes towards algebra & geometry (:biggrin:). Can't wait!

Euclid

I'm so excited for you!!! :biggrin::biggrin: :P Nah I don't think discrete is *that* bad - but I agree with undercover-ange - It certainly makes me appreciate pure more.
And gav, yep on MEI there is D1 cwk :confused:
Reply 16
d1 is painful... the exam was tedious more than anything... it seemed to go on forever...
Reply 17
who did d1 exam today. the new style papers for ocr. i did and i thought i was ready, but i totally f*cked up.
Reply 18
undercover-ange
Yeah, it really isn't proper maths. I'm sure the questions in D1 are designed to avoid anybody putting in independent thought.

I think you hit the nail on the head here. (My bold emphasis - your comment)

Since the entire paper is based on the concept of the algorithm, and the whole purpose of an algorithm is to get person x from A to B without allowing them the remotest chance of wandering off the path on the way... It's not surprising that initiative is not really at a premium.

Did D1 last year, doing D2 this year. I have to say that I find D2 much easier than comparative P,M, modules. Perhaps I have no imagination...

Aitch
Reply 19
easier does not mean better... if i was doing maths because it was easy i'd do stats and discrete, and the low pure and mechanics just to make up the numbers... safe to say i wouldn't do maths if it was set like that... not fun enoough for me...

Latest