A levels & Computer science

Watch this thread
aesamira
Badges: 11
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hi! I recently applied for my alevels and I wasn’t really sure what i’d be interested in doing in the future so I just picked what I was doing the best in and enjoyed. I ended up choosing Maths, Economics and Geography. However now I’ve been looking into computer science at uni and I’ve been learning how to code on my own for a couple of weeks and I feel like it might be something that I’d like to do at uni. However, I’m not sure if my a level combination will be best suited for when applying for a computer science degree if I end up applying in the future. Should I consider changing my subjects/what should I change them too. Initially I wanted to choose CS for a levels (I haven’t done it at GCSE) but in the moment I didn’t choose it because I wasn’t really sure if i’d enjoy it. What do you think I should do? Also do you think I could get into good unis with my current A level choice or do you think I should change something to stand a better chance? Thank you!!
aesamira
Badges: 11
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
^ also i was thinking about further maths as an option too, do you think this would be a good idea or is it not that necessary and doesn’t make big difference?
selugawi
Badges: 15
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
You should look into different unis that you are interested in studying at, as they will all have slightly different subject requirements, however I think you should be good for most with your current combination. Majority of unis ask for maths or CS, so you probably won't need both. You should do whatever combination of a levels you find the most interesting and what you think you'll get the best grades in, so your current combination should be fine if that's what you enjoy.
Further maths will only make a big difference if your interested in applying to the top top unis (oxford, cambridge, imperial, etc.). While FM may not always be a required subject for these top unis, they definitely prefer it and most successful applicants will have studied it. But again, even if you aren't going to go to a top uni, if its something you're really interested in then go for it.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

Were exams easier or harder than you expected?

Easier (36)
27.48%
As I expected (44)
33.59%
Harder (44)
33.59%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (7)
5.34%

Watched Threads