Universities and UCAT scores in Dentistry

Watch this thread
Bluesalamander
Badges: 7
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hi
How important is the UCAT in deciding whether you get into these Unis?
Manchester, Leeds, Liverpool, Sheffield, Cardiff, Bristol, Queen Mary, Kings college, Birmingham and Plymouth
Any help would be great thanks!
heldbygrace
Badges: 20
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 year ago
Medic Mind

Hi,

It’s definitely important for all universities and you must try to do your best even if you top Uni doesn’t put a large amount of weight into it.
I believe Kings College and Bristol put a large amount of weight on GCSEs compared to other unis, so probably not them, but I’m not sure about the others sorry. Hopefully the tagged account will reply with some help.

Edit: this website might help https://www.medentry.co.uk/ucat/entry/applying-to-dental-school-strategically-using-your-ucat-score
Last edited by heldbygrace; 1 year ago
Bluesalamander
Rep:
(Original post by heldbygrace)
Medic Mind

Hi,

It’s definitely important for all universities and you must try to do your best even if you top Uni doesn’t put a large amount of weight into it.
I believe Kings College and Bristol put a large amount of weight on GCSEs compared to other unis, so probably not them, but I’m not sure about the others sorry. Hopefully the tagged account will reply with some help.

Edit: this website might help https://www.medentry.co.uk/ucat/entr...our-ucat-score
Thanks so much that's really useful-I'm doing UCAT this summer so hopefully it goes well
heldbygrace
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Bluesalamander)
Thanks so much that's really useful-I'm doing UCAT this summer so hopefully it goes well
Good luck! I hope you do amazing
Medic Mind
Badges: 11
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
Hi
How important is the UCAT in deciding whether you get into these Unis?
Manchester, Leeds, Liverpool, Sheffield, Cardiff, Bristol, Queen Mary, Kings college, Birmingham and Plymouth
Any help would be great thanks!
Hey!
A high UCAT score is extremely beneficial to your application and being invited to an interview. If your score ends up being below the average for that year, it's better to strategically apply to universities that may not look at your UCAT as much however, they all do look at it to some extent. Don't worry too much and try your best to make sure all aspects of your application are as strong as possible (personal statement etc.)

Let me know if you have any more questions about applying for Dentistry or even how to prepare for the UCAT

You got this!!

Numra
Year 3 Bristol Dental Student
Medic Mind
Bluesalamander
Rep:
(Original post by Medic Mind)
Hey!
A high UCAT score is extremely beneficial to your application and being invited to an interview. If your score ends up being below the average for that year, it's better to strategically apply to universities that may not look at your UCAT as much however, they all do look at it to some extent. Don't worry too much and try your best to make sure all aspects of your application are as strong as possible (personal statement etc.)

Let me know if you have any more questions about applying for Dentistry or even how to prepare for the UCAT

You got this!!

Numra
Medic Mind
Thankyou so much!-I think my application is ok at the moment as i've done a lot of online courses but I'm finding it really hard to get any real life work experience.
Also, do you have any interview tips?
Mesopotamian.
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
Take a look at this link which provides some information about how different universities use the UCAT: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/uni...y-requirements

As above, a strong UCAT will put you in a favourable position, but it’s not the end of the world if you get below the average of your cohort - you will just need to apply more strategically.

For interview tips, take a look at https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/uni...try-interviews
You can also google dentistry interview questions and lots of things will come up.
Last edited by Mesopotamian.; 1 year ago
Medic Mind
Badges: 11
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
Thankyou so much!-I think my application is ok at the moment as i've done a lot of online courses but I'm finding it really hard to get any real life work experience.
Also, do you have any interview tips?
No problem!

Yes unfortunately it's really difficult right now for students to get some work experience. I suggest emailing all dental practices within a 30-40 minute car/bus journey from you and asking. Make sure you mention that you'd be extremely grateful for even one day of shadowing! Hopefully at least a few reply to you. It'd be useful to ask around as well (ask your parents, friends, sibling's friends) if they know anyone who works in a dental practice, that may be a way for you to get some experience - connections are really useful!

With regards to an interview, I suggest making sure you've done some preparation beforehand e.g. thinking of bullet points for common questions that come up, practicing putting yourself in an environment like that, getting friends and family to help you answer questions. Practice really helps with interview technique. Remember that if you have an interview then you've met the academic criteria, they just want to meet you to see if you're a nice, approachable and well-rounded person who has interests outside of Dentistry. Make sure not to focus on academics too much during your interview (don't say your hobbies are reading dental articles etc.)
Talk about your interests because they love it when you have a cool hobby or something that you've stuck to for a while/learned some valuable lessons from. Be concise with your answers and make sure you answer the question they've asked you directly instead of rambling on about something else.

Be genuine, polite and confident and you'll do great

Numra
Medic Mind
Bluesalamander
Rep:
(Original post by Medic Mind)
No problem!

Yes unfortunately it's really difficult right now for students to get some work experience. I suggest emailing all dental practices within a 30-40 minute car/bus journey from you and asking. Make sure you mention that you'd be extremely grateful for even one day of shadowing! Hopefully at least a few reply to you. It'd be useful to ask around as well (ask your parents, friends, sibling's friends) if they know anyone who works in a dental practice, that may be a way for you to get some experience - connections are really useful!

With regards to an interview, I suggest making sure you've done some preparation beforehand e.g. thinking of bullet points for common questions that come up, practicing putting yourself in an environment like that, getting friends and family to help you answer questions. Practice really helps with interview technique. Remember that if you have an interview then you've met the academic criteria, they just want to meet you to see if you're a nice, approachable and well-rounded person who has interests outside of Dentistry. Make sure not to focus on academics too much during your interview (don't say your hobbies are reading dental articles etc.)
Talk about your interests because they love it when you have a cool hobby or something that you've stuck to for a while/learned some valuable lessons from. Be concise with your answers and make sure you answer the question they've asked you directly instead of rambling on about something else.

Be genuine, polite and confident and you'll do great

Numra
Medic Mind
Thankyou so much that was really good advice
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA A-level Physics Paper 1 exam go?

Great! Feeling positive (94)
28.48%
It went fairly well (155)
46.97%
It didn't go too well (54)
16.36%
TERRIBLE! (27)
8.18%

Watched Threads