Bath Computer Science course with placement year

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
Hi,

Course link: https://www.bath.ac.uk/courses/under...urse-structure

So I am interested in this course from Bath which is 5 years long. I was wondering:

1) Is the placement year compulsory for everyone to do?
2) Is the placement year guaranteed for everyone? If not, what happens during that year?
3) How does student fees work for this course? Do I need to pay fees for the placement year?
4) Is it possible to change courses to a 4 year course with/without placement within/before the first year? What are the difficulties in the transition to the other course?

It would tremendously helpful if you could answer this!

Thanks in advance,
Jimmy
University of Bath
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Hi,

Course link: https://www.bath.ac.uk/courses/under...urse-structure

So I am interested in this course from Bath which is 5 years long. I was wondering:

2) Is the placement year guaranteed for everyone? If not, what happens during that year?
3) How does student fees work for this course? Do I need to pay fees for the placement year?
4) Is it possible to change courses to a 4 year course with/without placement within/before the first year? What are the difficulties in the transition to the other course?

It would tremendously helpful if you could answer this!

Thanks in advance,
Jimmy
Hi Jimmy,

I am a chemical engineering student at the University of Bath so hopefully I will be able to answer your questions

I will answer these two questions together as they are linked.

No, the placement is not compulsory nor guaranteed. You are supported by the placements team in the Faculty of Science to help you find a placement. They can point you in the direction of relevant job adverts and help you with CVs, applications and interviews. You can find more about placements in general in the Faculty of Science here. The placement support at Bath is excellent and one of the reasons I chose to study at Bath is because so many students go on placement.

The placement is not compulsory, so if you choose not to do a placement or do not manage to secure one, then you will transfer to the same course without a placement year. For the MComp Computer Science and Artificial Intelligence Course, the relevant course link is here. This is exactly the same as the course you specified abovde but without the placement year. Whichever you apply for it is relatively easy to switch between the two once you are at the University (a bit more challenging if you are a Tier 4 visa student but still something you can do).

If you are a Home or Island student, you pay £1850 tuition fees for the year you are on placement. This is detailed here and is for 2021/22 academic year, so is subject to change going forward.

So I answered this above - yes it is possible. Once you've applied and been accepted, you could ring up the admissions team ask to move (I don't know how easy this would be) or once you got to the University, it is fairly easy to transfer if you are a home student (I believe it is as simple as filling in a form although I am not 100% sure). If you are a Tier 4 visa student, you have to get your visa changed which can be challenging but not impossible, just a few more steps required. But as I said before, it is ultimately the same course, just those on placement take a year out, so you can change the course right up until the placement year commences.

I hope this helps and do let me know if you have anymore questions!

Leah
Placement Chemical Engineering
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
(Original post by University of Bath)
Hi Jimmy,

I am a chemical engineering student at the University of Bath so hopefully I will be able to answer your questions

I will answer these two questions together as they are linked.

No, the placement is not compulsory nor guaranteed. You are supported by the placements team in the Faculty of Science to help you find a placement. They can point you in the direction of relevant job adverts and help you with CVs, applications and interviews. You can find more about placements in general in the Faculty of Science here. The placement support at Bath is excellent and one of the reasons I chose to study at Bath is because so many students go on placement.

The placement is not compulsory, so if you choose not to do a placement or do not manage to secure one, then you will transfer to the same course without a placement year. For the MComp Computer Science and Artificial Intelligence Course, the relevant course link is here. This is exactly the same as the course you specified abovde but without the placement year. Whichever you apply for it is relatively easy to switch between the two once you are at the University (a bit more challenging if you are a Tier 4 visa student but still something you can do).

If you are a Home or Island student, you pay £1850 tuition fees for the year you are on placement. This is detailed here and is for 2021/22 academic year, so is subject to change going forward.

So I answered this above - yes it is possible. Once you've applied and been accepted, you could ring up the admissions team ask to move (I don't know how easy this would be) or once you got to the University, it is fairly easy to transfer if you are a home student (I believe it is as simple as filling in a form although I am not 100% sure). If you are a Tier 4 visa student, you have to get your visa changed which can be challenging but not impossible, just a few more steps required. But as I said before, it is ultimately the same course, just those on placement take a year out, so you can change the course right up until the placement year commences.

I hope this helps and do let me know if you have anymore questions!

Leah
Placement Chemical Engineering
Awesome Leah, thank you so much for that information! I still have some final doubts. Before this, let me just clarify that I'm a home student.

1) I am planning to do a 5-year course with placement but can I switch to a 4-year course with placement? (Both courses have placement)...
2) I am kind of concerned about doing a 5-year course because I feel like it's not so popular... What do you think I should do? Continue? I definitely feel like it will be beneficial and I guess money won't be a major issue because I'll be earning in the placement year so I can make up some money too. What's your opinion?
University of Bath
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Awesome Leah, thank you so much for that information! I still have some final doubts. Before this, let me just clarify that I'm a home student.

1) I am planning to do a 5-year course with placement but can I switch to a 4-year course with placement? (Both courses have placement)...
2) I am kind of concerned about doing a 5-year course because I feel like it's not so popular... What do you think I should do? Continue? I definitely feel like it will be beneficial and I guess money won't be a major issue because I'll be earning in the placement year so I can make up some money too. What's your opinion?
Hi there,

Thanks for your questions! Hopefully I can help

1. You can usually drop down from the 5 year MSc course to the 4 year MSc, but you are typically required to ask to arrange this before the end of 3rd year. It is better to do it this way, as you usually can't swap from the 4 to 5 year course as MSc students will need to meet a certain grade each year at uni to be allowed to continue on the MSc, so if you are on the 4 year BSc then you may not be aware of these requirements. Basically, you usually can drop down from the MSc to the BSc so long as you ask to soon enough, but it may be worth contacting admissions if you are still doubtful
  2. The 5 year course is not as popular as the 4 year courses, as most people tend to prefer the 4 year BSc and then applying for a separate masters afterwards as then you can do a more specific subject as your masters but you also aren't locked into it if you end up not wanting to do it. That being said, the 5 year courses are still popular so please don't let that put you off!

I would say that whilst many placements do pay a salary, they don't all pay and they may not pay a significant amount. This may be an issue if you will be relying on maintenance loans for rent, bills etc, as you typically aren't entitled to your full maintenance loan amount when you're on placement even if it's unpaid. Based on the fact that it's harder to swap from the 4 to the 5 year course, I would say it's best to just stay on the 5 year course and then let them know if you end up wanting to drop down to the 4 years. This way you are keeping your options open!

On you earlier question to Leah about swapping to the course with/without placement, I've actually done this myself so I can help here! You can definitely do this and it's very easy - you just contact the admissions department and/or the course coordinator for your course, and they will arrange that for you. You can do it before you start at Bath, or you could ask during first year. My advice would be to start on the course with the placement, and then drop out of it by the end of 1st year. This is because they run loads of placement development sessions in 1st year to help you prepare for applying to placements, and if you aren't enrolled on the placements course then you may miss these.

I hope this has helped,
Jessica, a final year NatSci student
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Wow, this is perfect! Thanks a lot for the information!

I just got confused about 1 specific thing. You mentioned that I could drop from 5 years to 4 years MSc. Here I assumed that you were referring to the 4 years MSc(without placement). Because from what I found, there isn't a 4 year MSc with placement. Is that correct?
University of Bath
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Wow, this is perfect! Thanks a lot for the information!

I just got confused about 1 specific thing. You mentioned that I could drop from 5 years to 4 years MSc. Here I assumed that you were referring to the 4 years MSc(without placement). Because from what I found, there isn't a 4 year MSc with placement. Is that correct?
Hi,

Just jumping in here, that is correct, the 4 years MSc is without placement, there is not a 4 year MSc with placement.

If you have any more questions, please feel free to ask

Isobel (A Final Year Sociology Student)
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (106)
40.46%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (29)
11.07%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (19)
7.25%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (59)
22.52%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (31)
11.83%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (18)
6.87%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed