A bit of help - views appreciated Watch

This discussion is closed.
Lurker
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
Please dont be rude folks! And this is a bit complicated so bear with me.

A couple of weeks ago I made a mistake. I was applying ( am applying) for jobs. I had two interviews
within a few days of each other ( one a Friday , the other a Monday)

The first interview didnt appoint on the spot but said they would write . The first school btw was
the school I am currently employed in as a temp.

On the Monday when I was supposed to go for an interview at the second school I received a letter
that morning before going out which offered me a position in the school I had been interviewed in on
the previous Friday. the one I am working in as a temp)

I thought I would take it so I rang up the other school and withdrew my application.

Now it transpires that when I phoned the first school about their job offer it wasnt the job I
thought it was ( the job I had been interviewed for and the letter had been ambiguous!) . I didnt
want the job offered ( it really wasnt for me) and I had to refuse.

As I said. My mistake. This has left me without a position for September. I withdrew from a post I
could have easily done and was qualified for and in with a chance for .....because of this bloody
job offer that wasnt! .

Now ( bear with me) there had been three interviewees ( including me) according to details they sent
me for the post I withdrew from before interview. It seems that they didnt appoint because the job
has been re advertised. I dont know why they didnt appoint! I dont know if all three withdrew or if
the candidates were not suitable or whatever!

This btw is the second time that job has been re advertised , it seems they either couldnt get a
suitable applicant or didnt get any applicants the first time this post went up.

As far as I can see the post is right up my street and I cant see any real reason they havent
appointed except I do work in a shortage area.

Now the crunch. Ideally I should have gone for that interview and would have done had it not been
for that b***** letter! No guarantee I would have got the post I know ..... but, has anyone ever
been on either side of a situation like this?

I am thinking of re applying for the position. Could I be in with a chance or have I scuppered
myself? I dont know whether to write or call the college explaining what happened to me and ask for
re consideration or whether to just make another application or whether to leave it and hope another
post turns up in my area. Although I am in a shortage subject , there aren't a lot of teaching posts
in my region.

Any advice ( polite) would be welcome. Help me out here , please. I know I was a pratt!
Stjohn
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
lurker wrote in message ...
[q1]>Please dont be rude folks! And this is a bit complicated so bear with me.[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]

Oh dear - can't help feeling that you have nothing to lose by simply 'phoning them - you may well be
thanked for allowing them to avoid re-re-advertising (very expensive).

They might even invite you down for a one-to-one if you're lucky.

Hope you are!

StJohn
Russell Kaye
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
lurker wrote:

[q1]> Please dont be rude folks! And this is a bit complicated so bear with me.[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]

<snip>

[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> Any advice ( polite) would be welcome. Help me out here , please. I know I was a pratt![/q1]

One of the best bits of advice I've ever been given is that you should always apply for something
you want, even if you think your chances of getting it are slim - you don't know who else will (or
won't) apply. It will be difficult for the school to get anyone with experience now that the
resignation date has passed.

How sympathetic was your current Head when you turned him down from the other post? He may be able
to ring the Head of the other school and explain the situation on your behalf.

Russell
[email protected]
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
In article <[email protected]>, lurker <[email protected]> wrote:
[q1]> Any advice ( polite) would be welcome[/q1]

Phone and explain, and ask if they would mind if you reapplied.

--
Gertie.

Award-winning bog cleaner, agony aunt and now Latin scholar. Veni, vidi, Vim (I came, I saw,
I cleaned)
Richard Tilbe
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
There is no harm is re-applying. Be up front and honest. They know you, you fit (hopefully), you
will save them some money and there is no shame in having applied for another position and then
found that it was not for you. At least you didn't mess them about and string them along - you did
the honest thing and withdrew your application.

Sounds OK to me.

Ric "lurker" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
[q1]> Please dont be rude folks! And this is a bit complicated so bear with me.[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> A couple of weeks ago I made a mistake. I was applying ( am applying) for jobs. I had two[/q1]
[q1]> interviews within a few days of each other ( one a Friday , the other a Monday)[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> The first interview didnt appoint on the spot but said they would write . The first school btw was[/q1]
[q1]> the school I am currently employed in as a temp.[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> On the Monday when I was supposed to go for an interview at the second school I received a letter[/q1]
[q1]> that morning before going out which offered me[/q1]
a
[q1]> position in the school I had been interviewed in on the previous Friday. the one I am working in[/q1]
[q1]> as a temp)[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> I thought I would take it so I rang up the other school and withdrew my application.[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> Now it transpires that when I phoned the first school about their job[/q1]
offer
[q1]> it wasnt the job I thought it was ( the job I had been interviewed for and the letter had been[/q1]
[q1]> ambiguous!) . I didnt want the job offered ( it[/q1]
really
[q1]> wasnt for me) and I had to refuse.[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> As I said. My mistake. This has left me without a position for September.[/q1]
I
[q1]> withdrew from a post I could have easily done and was qualified for and in with a chance for[/q1]
[q1]> .....because of this bloody job offer that wasnt! .[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> Now ( bear with me) there had been three interviewees ( including me) according to details they[/q1]
[q1]> sent me for the post I withdrew from before interview. It seems that they didnt appoint because[/q1]
[q1]> the job has been re advertised. I dont know why they didnt appoint! I dont know if all three[/q1]
[q1]> withdrew or if the candidates were not suitable or whatever![/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> This btw is the second time that job has been re advertised , it seems[/q1]
they
[q1]> either couldnt get a suitable applicant or didnt get any applicants the first time this post[/q1]
[q1]> went up.[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> As far as I can see the post is right up my street and I cant see any real reason they havent[/q1]
[q1]> appointed except I do work in a shortage area.[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> Now the crunch. Ideally I should have gone for that interview and would[/q1]
have
[q1]> done had it not been for that b***** letter! No guarantee I would have got the post I know .....[/q1]
[q1]> but, has anyone ever been on either side of a situation like this?[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> I am thinking of re applying for the position. Could I be in with a chance or have I scuppered[/q1]
[q1]> myself? I dont know whether to write or call the[/q1]
college
[q1]> explaining what happened to me and ask for re consideration or whether to just make another[/q1]
[q1]> application or whether to leave it and hope another post turns up in my area. Although I am in a[/q1]
[q1]> shortage subject , there aren't[/q1]
a
[q1]> lot of teaching posts in my region.[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> Any advice ( polite) would be welcome. Help me out here , please. I know I was a pratt![/q1]
Witchee Poo
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
lurker blurted:

[q1]>Thanks to all those who kidnly offered advice on this. I e mailed ( I didnt like to ring in case[/q1]
[q1]>they rejected me!) the school and explained what had happened and asked if they would consider my[/q1]
[q1]>application again. There was an e mail almost by return. They have offered me an interview for[/q1]
[q1]>next Friday.[/q1]

Whoo! Great news.

--
Witchee
Lurker
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
"Richard Tilbe" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
[q1]> There is no harm is re-applying. Be up front and honest. They know you, you fit (hopefully), you[/q1]
[q1]> will save them some money and there is no shame[/q1]
in
[q1]> having applied for another position and then found that it was not for[/q1]
you.
[q1]> At least you didn't mess them about and string them along - you did the honest thing and withdrew[/q1]
[q1]> your application.[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> Sounds OK to me.[/q1]

Thanks to all those who kidnly offered advice on this. I e mailed ( I didnt like to ring in case
they rejected me!) the school and explained what had happened and asked if they would consider my
application again. There was an e mail almost by return. They have offered me an interview for
next Friday.
[email protected]
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
In article <[email protected]>, lurker <[email protected]> wrote:
[q1]> They have offered me an interview for next Friday.[/q1]

[q1])))))))))))))))[/q1]

good luck!

--
Gertie.

Award-winning bog cleaner, agony aunt and now Latin scholar. Veni, vidi, Vim (I came, I saw,
I cleaned)
Richard Tilbe
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
Excellenti! Very luck to you - you'll swing it!

Ric "lurker" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> "Richard Tilbe" <[email protected]> wrote in message[/q1]
[q1]> news:[email protected]...[/q1]
[q2]> > There is no harm is re-applying. Be up front and honest. They know[/q2]
you,
[q2]> > you fit (hopefully), you will save them some money and there is no shame[/q2]
[q1]> in[/q1]
[q2]> > having applied for another position and then found that it was not for[/q2]
[q1]> you.[/q1]
[q2]> > At least you didn't mess them about and string them along - you did the honest thing and[/q2]
[q2]> > withdrew your application.[/q2]
[q2]> >[/q2]
[q2]> > Sounds OK to me.[/q2]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> Thanks to all those who kidnly offered advice on this. I e mailed ( I didnt like to ring in case[/q1]
[q1]> they rejected me!) the school[/q1]
and
[q1]> explained what had happened and asked if they would consider my[/q1]
application
[q1]> again. There was an e mail almost by return. They have offered me an interview[/q1]
for
[q1]> next Friday.[/q1]
[email protected]
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
[q2]> > There was an e mail almost by return. They have offered me an interview next Friday.[/q2]

well - what happened?

did you get it?

--
Gertie.

I cleaned)
Lurker
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
"[email protected]" <[email protected] > wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q3]> > > There was an e mail almost by return. They have offered me an interview next Friday.[/q3]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> well - what happened?[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> did you get it?[/q1]

Sorry! Yes ..... I got offered it <g
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you chained to your phone?

Yes (78)
19.31%
Yes, but I'm trying to cut back (163)
40.35%
Nope, not that interesting (163)
40.35%

Watched Threads