Moving to Scotland

Watch this thread
NaeAko
Badges: 5
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I’m moving to Scotland and by the time I move I’ll be in my last year of secondary school so I won’t be sitting my GCSEs and instead I’ll be sitting the National 5 and I just want to know what to expect and how many subjects I need to pick
Last edited by NaeAko; 1 year ago
Ototot
Badges: 11
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 year ago
Hi! I don’t know if your in the last year of secondary school in england but in Scotland the system is very different. From ages 11-18 we go to one secondary school and don’t leave for the English equivalent of 6th form.
At nat 5 which is the gcse equivalent you will be expected to take 7 subjects including maths and English which are normally compulsory. Nat 5s are relatively easy I’d say most people do pretty well because there’s no proper essays yet.
In s5 which is Highers or nat 5s if you fail some of them you will normally do 5 subjects which are Highers these allow you to go to university.
In s6 which is the last year you normally do a mix of Highers and advanced higher which are like the 1st year of university these aren’t required for uni but it’s good to have at least 1 in my opinon. I hope this helped explain it a bit more! If you have any questions just ask
Last edited by Ototot; 1 year ago
cchloepx
Badges: 16
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
Last year of secondary school will be 6th year in Scotland.
In 4th year we do nat5s..
Sandwich Brain
Badges: 2
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
Scotland and England are cousins. But, I must ask, why Scotland?
NaeAko
Rep:
(Original post by Ototot)
Hi! I don’t know if your in the last year of secondary school in england but in Scotland the system is very different. From ages 11-18 we go to one secondary school and don’t leave for the English equivalent of 6th form.
At nat 5 which is the gcse equivalent you will be expected to take 7 subjects including maths and English which are normally compulsory. Nat 5s are relatively easy I’d say most people do pretty well because there’s no proper essays yet.
In s5 which is Highers or nat 5s if you fail some of them you will normally do 5 subjects which are Highers these allow you to go to university.
In s6 which is the last year you normally do a mix of Highers and advanced higher which are like the 1st year of university these aren’t required for uni but it’s good to have at least 1 in my opinon. I hope this helped explain it a bit more! If you have any questions just ask
Thank you so much this really helped me understand more of your education system.
NaeAko
Rep:
(Original post by cchloepx)
Last year of secondary school will be 6th year in Scotland.
In 4th year we do nat5s..
I’m in year 10 in London which is the 4th year in Scotland..I think?
Last edited by NaeAko; 1 year ago
NaeAko
Rep:
(Original post by Sandwich Brain)
Scotland and England are cousins. But, I must ask, why Scotland?
As much as I love London I have a sibling with special needs and in London we don’t get as much support from the council and I have a few family members in Scotland and they said that the Scottish system and councils are much more supportive
username5050312
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by NaeAko)
As much as I love London I have a sibling with special needs and in London we don’t get as much support from the council and I have a few family members in Scotland and they said that the Scottish system and councils are much more supportive
Is this well researched or are you going off of someone else's word?
cchloepx
Badges: 16
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by NaeAko)
I’m in year 10 in London which is the 4th year in Scotland..
Can I ask what age you are? Because year 10 is actually equivalent to third year in Scotland. We have 13 years of school. 7 in primary, 6 in secondary. So year 10 would be 3rd year.
Unless you mean that you’re moving for the start of the new academic year which means you’d be moving into 4th year.
If so, you’ll probably be fine. Nat5s are easy and it’s where everyone else starts off anyways. You’ll be in the same boat as all the others for the most part.
NaeAko
Rep:
(Original post by cleveranimal56)
Is this well researched or are you going off of someone else's word?
Yes my mum has done a lot of research and hassle to emails to council and made many phone calls to make sure that everything is true.
NaeAko
Rep:
(Original post by cchloepx)
Can I ask what age you are? Because year 10 is actually equivalent to third year in Scotland. We have 13 years of school. 7 in primary, 6 in secondary. So year 10 would be 3rd year.
Unless you mean that you’re moving for the start of the new academic year which means you’d be moving into 4th year.
If so, you’ll probably be fine. Nat5s are easy and it’s where everyone else starts off anyways. You’ll be in the same boat as all the others for the most part.
I’m 15
BlackLab
Badges: 14
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
The Scottish system cut off dates for which year you are in are different to England. The birthday cut off date is February 28th. Assuming no deferral (which is common in Scotland for Jan/Feb birthdays), you start:

S4 when you are 14-15 and finish when you are 15-16
S5 when you are 15-16 and finish when you are 16-17

Most schools start the S4 NAT5 curriculum earlier in S3, ours started it after Easter in S3, so you would be better getting into your new school sooner rather than later if this is an option.

Pupils usually do 9 subjects into S3 then drop two and take 7 into S4 to build on and then sit their NAT5's. The subject you can choose are usually restricted by options in columns and different in each school, so 2 columns will be Maths and English and you can pick other 5 subjects. We don't have subjects like double/triple science like England you would pick chemistry, physics, biology individually (a lot of schools won't allow you to do 3 sciences due to timetabling). We also don't have separate English Lit and Lang, they are a single English subject.

Then in S5 you usually drop another 2 subjects and take 5 to HIGHERs.

Once you know your subject choices there are revision books called BrightRed for each NAT5 subject which I found helpful and would help you see the course structure, content and exam/assignment (when we have them!) layout. There is also the website Understanding SQA Standards which will show you more information.

Good luck with the move!
NaeAko
Rep:
(Original post by BlackLab)
The Scottish system cut off dates for which year you are in are different to England. The birthday cut off date is February 28th. Assuming no deferral (which is common in Scotland for Jan/Feb birthdays), you start:

S4 when you are 14-15 and finish when you are 15-16
S5 when you are 15-16 and finish when you are 16-17

Most schools start the S4 NAT5 curriculum earlier in S3, ours started it after Easter in S3, so you would be better getting into your new school sooner rather than later if this is an option.

Pupils usually do 9 subjects into S3 then drop two and take 7 into S4 to build on and then sit their NAT5's. The subject you can choose are usually restricted by options in columns and different in each school, so 2 columns will be Maths and English and you can pick other 5 subjects. We don't have subjects like double/triple science like England you would pick chemistry, physics, biology individually (a lot of schools won't allow you to do 3 sciences due to timetabling). We also don't have separate English Lit and Lang, they are a single English subject.

Then in S5 you usually drop another 2 subjects and take 5 to HIGHERs.

Once you know your subject choices there are revision books called BrightRed for each NAT5 subject which I found helpful and would help you see the course structure, content and exam/assignment (when we have them!) layout. There is also the website Understanding SQA Standards which will show you more information.

Good luck with the move!
Thank you so much!
Fayy_
Badges: 3
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
Hii! I won't both talking about how the different subjects and years work as that's already been explained by others, but I wanted to join this discussion to say I was in the exact same situation as you almost 3 years ago. I moved to Scotland from England at 14 and had to join s3. It was a little odd adjusting to how the school system worked, but you're lucky because you'll be starting National 5 subjects in s4 which means you'll be at the same level as everyone else.Also a little tip for when you move to s5, don't overload yourself with highers but try to continue from nat 5 subjects you have already done (this makes the ease into highers a little easier rather than doing many crash highers). I took 3 highers and 2 national 5s and am continuing further (crash) highers/ advanced highers in s6. Good luck! <3
NaeAko
Rep:
Report Thread starter 11 months ago
(Original post by Fayy_)
Hii! I won't both talking about how the different subjects and years work as that's already been explained by others, but I wanted to join this discussion to say I was in the exact same situation as you almost 3 years ago. I moved to Scotland from England at 14 and had to join s3. It was a little odd adjusting to how the school system worked, but you're lucky because you'll be starting National 5 subjects in s4 which means you'll be at the same level as everyone else.Also a little tip for when you move to s5, don't overload yourself with highers but try to continue from nat 5 subjects you have already done (this makes the ease into highers a little easier rather than doing many crash highers). I took 3 highers and 2 national 5s and am continuing further (crash) highers/ advanced highers in s6. Good luck! <3
Thank you so much for the information😊
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you done work experience at school/college?

Yes (156)
41.82%
Not yet, but I will soon (69)
18.5%
No (148)
39.68%

Watched Threads