reviser666
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
hey everyone, does anyone have advice on the writing of comparison essays in poetry specifically love and relationships. I'm comparing walking away to follower for practice and if anyone could help me write an introduction or show me advice for writing the essay I would really appreciate it. I really want at least a grade 8 on this and i have my own notes
Maira108
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by reviser666)
hey everyone, does anyone have advice on the writing of comparison essays in poetry specifically love and relationships. I'm comparing walking away to follower for practice and if anyone could help me write an introduction or show me advice for writing the essay I would really appreciate it. I really want at least a grade 8 on this and i have my own notes
hiya i can give u some similarities often walking away is paired with mother any distance rather then with follower as there isn't much similarities but here are some to help ;
Structure These poems have similar structures.
They both describe experiences and move towards a climax.
Each poem reflects about the experience.
Both poems have a regular rhyme scheme.
reviser666
Rep:
?
(Original post by Maira108)
hiya i can give u some similarities often walking away is paired with mother any distance rather then with follower as there isn't much similarities but here are some to help ;
Structure These poems have similar structures.
They both describe experiences and move towards a climax.
Each poem reflects about the experience.
Both poems have a regular rhyme scheme.
heyyyy thank u!!! and do u recommend me comparing it to mother any distance, i can pick from out of any of the love and relationship poems and i was going to choose follower because it has similar themes but if u think mother any distance is better i'll do that because i didnt want to start before anyone gave me advice. please if this is not troubling u of course, can u help me write an introduction to the essay if u have the time? i kind of need help with the format as a whole
Maira108
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
heyyyy thank u!!! and do u recommend me comparing it to mother any distance, i can pick from out of any of the love and relationship poems and i was going to choose follower because it has similar themes but if u think mother any distance is better i'll do that because i didnt want to start before anyone gave me advice. please if this is not troubling u of course, can u help me write an introduction to the essay if u have the time? i kind of need help with the format as a whole
nws and i think u should defo compare it with mother any distance i'll give u some similarities and help u write the intro no problem at all but what theme are u thinking off comparing them both too if ur not sure i can pick one and we can start from there if u want just let me know x
Maira108
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
hi i chose parental rel to compare its not finished but u can use this as a start

Within this essay , I will explore how parental relationships are presented in 'Walking away' by Cecil Day-Lewis and in 'Mother , any distance' by Simon Armitage while comparing the two. 'Walking away' is a poem about Cecil Day-Lewis' son going to boarding school and being separated from him whereas 'Mother , any distance' is in the perspective of a son moving into a new house away from his mother who he needs greatly. (not needed but u can if u want)

The meticulously selected language in 'Walking away' differs to that in 'Mother, any distance' for 'Walking away' uses imagery relating to space and satellites to convey the message that the son isn't ready to be released into the world yet 'like a satellite wrenched from orbit , go drifting away' the verb 'wrenched' has violent connotations and suggests that the parting of family members being portrayed in this poem was quite painful , whereas on the other hand , 'Mother, any distance' uses a range of metaphors , and in the first stanza focuses on how big the house was comparing floors to prairies and the metaphor 'acres of the walls' is used in the same line suggesting a huge space beyond the walls and the exaggeration within this metaphor suggests the persona feels rather daunted or scared. Alternatively , this could also relate to the natural world , perhaps suggesting the narrator is reassuring himself that his nervousness about moving out and being on his own is natural and possibly even good. Also within this poem , the narrator states that 'any distance greater than a single span requires a second pair of hands' a span is quite a small measurement suggesting the narrator really needs his mother , but also within this quote there is a half-rhyme between 'span' and 'hands' that could possibly represent a slight dislocation between mother and son.
reviser666
Rep:
?
hi i chose parental rel to compare its not finished but u can use this as a start

Within this essay , I will explore how parental relationships are presented in 'Walking away' by Cecil Day-Lewis and in 'Mother , any distance' by Simon Armitage while comparing the two. 'Walking away' is a poem about Cecil Day-Lewis' son going to boarding school and being separated from him whereas 'Mother , any distance' is in the perspective of a son moving into a new house away from his mother who he needs greatly. (not needed but u can if u want)

The meticulously selected language in 'Walking away' differs to that in 'Mother, any distance' for 'Walking away' uses imagery relating to space and satellites to convey the message that the son isn't ready to be released into the world yet 'like a satellite wrenched from orbit , go drifting away' the verb 'wrenched' has violent connotations and suggests that the parting of family members being portrayed in this poem was quite painful , whereas on the other hand , 'Mother, any distance' uses a range of metaphors , and in the first stanza focuses on how big the house was comparing floors to prairies and the metaphor 'acres of the walls' is used in the same line suggesting a huge space beyond the walls and the exaggeration within this metaphor suggests the persona feels rather daunted or scared. Alternatively , this could also relate to the natural world , perhaps suggesting the narrator is reassuring himself that his nervousness about moving out and being on his own is natural and possibly even good. Also within this poem , the narrator states that 'any distance greater than a single span requires a second pair of hands' a span is quite a small measurement suggesting the narrator really needs his mother , but also within this quote there is a half-rhyme between 'span' and 'hands' that could possibly represent a slight dislocation between mother and son.
OMG thats amazing, youre really good at poetry and u actually got the question close to what it was asking. The question i was writing my essay based on was "Compare how poets present family relationships in walking away and in one other poem from love and relationships" and yours can fit right into that. i decided to pick mother any distance instead of follower and i actually started writing something too but im definitely using that paragraph that u sent if u dont mind ofc because its really good and i really appreciate it. What grade are u getting in english lit becuase your work is really good !!!
jjj7666
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
OMG thats amazing, youre really good at poetry and u actually got the question close to what it was asking. The question i was writing my essay based on was "Compare how poets present family relationships in walking away and in one other poem from love and relationships" and yours can fit right into that. i decided to pick mother any distance instead of follower and i actually started writing something too but im definitely using that paragraph that u sent if u dont mind ofc because its really good and i really appreciate it. What grade are u getting in english lit becuase your work is really good !!!
could anyone possibly help me with the poem i am offering this poem. It is unseen and the questions how does the poet present feelings about love. If anyone has done a question could you help out by sending out a model answer or some points which i can write
reviser666
Rep:
?
(Original post by jjj7666)
could anyone possibly help me with the poem i am offering this poem. It is unseen and the questions how does the poet present feelings about love. If anyone has done a question could you help out by sending out a model answer or some points which i can write
if u do get sent a model answer please send it to me also, i would love a model answer so i can see the format of a top grade essay
Maira108
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
thank you and idm use it I'm currently working at a high 7 looking to aim at least an 7 maybe an 8
Last edited by Maira108; 1 month ago
reviser666
Rep:
?
thank you and idm use it I'm currently working at a high 7 looking to aim at least an 7 maybe an 8
same!!! i want to get an 8 hopefully in english lit. i kind of wish i did power and conflict instead but we dont have a choice but i just prefer the whole topic. i really prefer englush language to english lit all the way, i feel like english lit is so much work. i have to write 4 essays in such a short amunt of time for a christmas carol and other poetry questions and im kind of reallt stressed but i think i'll stay up at night or something
jjj7666
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
same!!! i want to get an 8 hopefully in english lit. i kind of wish i did power and conflict instead but we dont have a choice but i just prefer the whole topic. i really prefer englush language to english lit all the way, i feel like english lit is so much work. i have to write 4 essays in such a short amunt of time for a christmas carol and other poetry questions and im kind of reallt stressed but i think i'll stay up at night or something
Maira108
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
if u send me the poems i may be able to help
Maira108
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
yh tm it's piss takin i suck at time management in everything cuz i write too much but ig doing practice questions will help don't stay up all night as that wont do anything ur just be stressed out more if u need help let me know as idm helping x i prefer science to English ngl but thats only becuz i wanna do something in the future with it but english is not too bad uno
jjj7666
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Could you help me with unseen question Aqa paper 2
jjj7666
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Could you help me with unseen question Aqa paper 2
if u send me the poems i may be able to help
here

I Am Offering this Poem
I am offering this poem to you,
since I have nothing else to give.
Keep it like a warm coat
when winter comes to cover you,
or like a pair of thick socks
the cold cannot bite through,

I love you,

I have nothing else to give you,
so it is a pot full of yellow corn
to warm your belly in winter,
it is a scarf for your head, to wear
over your hair, to tie up around your face,
I love you,

Keep it, treasure this as you would
if you were lost, needing direction,
in the wilderness life becomes when mature;
and in the corner of your drawer,
tucked away like a cabin or hogan*
in dense trees, come knocking,
and I will answer, give you directions,
and let you warm yourself by this fire,
rest by this fire, and make you feel safe

I love you,
It’s all I have to give,
and all anyone needs to live,
and to go on living inside,
when the world outside
no longer cares if you live or die;
remember,

I love you.

*hogan: wooden hut/shelter
Jimmy Santiago Baca
2 7 . 1 In ‘I Am Offering this Poem’, how does the poet present
jjj7666
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
here

I Am Offering this Poem
I am offering this poem to you,
since I have nothing else to give.
Keep it like a warm coat
when winter comes to cover you,
or like a pair of thick socks
the cold cannot bite through,

I love you,

I have nothing else to give you,
so it is a pot full of yellow corn
to warm your belly in winter,
it is a scarf for your head, to wear
over your hair, to tie up around your face,
I love you,

Keep it, treasure this as you would
if you were lost, needing direction,
in the wilderness life becomes when mature;
and in the corner of your drawer,
tucked away like a cabin or hogan*
in dense trees, come knocking,
and I will answer, give you directions,
and let you warm yourself by this fire,
rest by this fire, and make you feel safe

I love you,
It’s all I have to give,
and all anyone needs to live,
and to go on living inside,
when the world outside
no longer cares if you live or die;
remember,

I love you.

*hogan: wooden hut/shelter
Jimmy Santiago Baca
2 7 . 1 In ‘I Am Offering this Poem’, how does the poet present
Maira108
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
these are some ideas so far let me know if these paragraphs help x

In "I Am Offering This Poem," Jimmy Santiago Baca writes about extending love to a person through the poem when its speaker has no material items to give. Throughout the piece, Baca uses figurative language to compare the poem and its repeated line, "I love you," to other things that bring love and comfort. (intro)

Feeling about love are presented in The theme of the poem as the poem expresses that love is the most valuable part of a relationship. People might not always be able to offer materials objects, but love always prevails. Love is all a relationship should ever need.
This stanza's first two lines include a sentiment that Baca will continue as the poem progresses: the speaker is writing the poem as an expression of love because he has "nothing else" to offer. The first stanza compares his poem to "a warm coat" through the use of a simile. When the figurative winter comes, meaning bad times or times when the beloved needs extra comfort, the poem will provide figurative warmth.
Like a coat, or like the socks mentioned in the first stanza's other simile, the speaker's poem—and, by extension, the love expressed in it—will protect the beloved. Interestingly, here and throughout the poem, the speaker compares his poem to material objects (though humble ones) that he apparently cannot afford as a way to show that his feelings toward the beloved will serve the same purpose those objects would. The straightforward repeated line, "I love you," then serves as a bridge connecting each stanza, with commas on both sides to maintain the link between each stanza's ideas.

The speaker repeats that he is offering the poem in place of any material object or gift that he cannot give. The speaker here compares the poem to "a pot full of yellow corn," and not just any corn, but the kind that will "warm your belly in winter." This meal represents the comfort and nourishment that the speaker hopes his beloved will feel when reading this poem. Next, he compares the poem to a scarf through the use of metaphor. The poem figuratively covers the beloved's head to provide protection and, again, warmth.In contrast to previous stanzas, this next stanza begins with a command to the beloved that tells them what to do with the poem instead of reminding them that he has nothing else to give. He urges the beloved to "Keep it," to "treasure" the poem. The poem and his love should serve as guidance to the beloved if they become "lost." Baca indicates that as people's lives progress, they may become more distant but still loved unconditionally.
jjj7666
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
these are some ideas so far let me know if these paragraphs help x

In "I Am Offering This Poem," Jimmy Santiago Baca writes about extending love to a person through the poem when its speaker has no material items to give. Throughout the piece, Baca uses figurative language to compare the poem and its repeated line, "I love you," to other things that bring love and comfort. (intro)

Feeling about love are presented in The theme of the poem as the poem expresses that love is the most valuable part of a relationship. People might not always be able to offer materials objects, but love always prevails. Love is all a relationship should ever need.
This stanza's first two lines include a sentiment that Baca will continue as the poem progresses: the speaker is writing the poem as an expression of love because he has "nothing else" to offer. The first stanza compares his poem to "a warm coat" through the use of a simile. When the figurative winter comes, meaning bad times or times when the beloved needs extra comfort, the poem will provide figurative warmth.
Like a coat, or like the socks mentioned in the first stanza's other simile, the speaker's poem—and, by extension, the love expressed in it—will protect the beloved. Interestingly, here and throughout the poem, the speaker compares his poem to material objects (though humble ones) that he apparently cannot afford as a way to show that his feelings toward the beloved will serve the same purpose those objects would. The straightforward repeated line, "I love you," then serves as a bridge connecting each stanza, with commas on both sides to maintain the link between each stanza's ideas.

The speaker repeats that he is offering the poem in place of any material object or gift that he cannot give. The speaker here compares the poem to "a pot full of yellow corn," and not just any corn, but the kind that will "warm your belly in winter." This meal represents the comfort and nourishment that the speaker hopes his beloved will feel when reading this poem. Next, he compares the poem to a scarf through the use of metaphor. The poem figuratively covers the beloved's head to provide protection and, again, warmth.In contrast to previous stanzas, this next stanza begins with a command to the beloved that tells them what to do with the poem instead of reminding them that he has nothing else to give. He urges the beloved to "Keep it," to "treasure" the poem. The poem and his love should serve as guidance to the beloved if they become "lost." Baca indicates that as people's lives progress, they may become more distant but still loved unconditionally.
Thank you soooooomuch maira ❤️❤️❤️❤️
Maira108
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Thank you soooooomuch maira ❤️❤️❤️❤️
Nws xx
reviser666
Rep:
?
yh tm it's piss takin i suck at time management in everything cuz i write too much but ig doing practice questions will help don't stay up all night as that wont do anything ur just be stressed out more if u need help let me know as idm helping x i prefer science to English ngl but thats only becuz i wanna do something in the future with it but english is not too bad uno
i prefer science to english too, im doing the sciences for a levels and i cant wait to drop english but for now i have so much essays to write and memorise. and thank u so much!!! i actually really appreciate that, do u do a christmas carol?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should the school day be extended to help students catch up?

Yes (42)
28.97%
No (103)
71.03%

Watched Threads