Ways of understanding the brain

Watch
neelamm0001
Badges: 12
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 9 months ago
SCANNING TECHNIQUES

Functional Magnetic Resonance Imaging -Indirectly measures electrical activity of neurons by recording changes in brain blood flow while a person completes a task.

+A strength of fMRI is its high spatial resolution
-A limitation of fMRI is its low temporal resolution.

Electroencephalogram-Directly and continually measures general electrical activity of neurons during brain states such as sleep and arousal.

+A strength of using an EEG is its high temporal resolution.
-A limitation of using an EEG is its low spatial resolution.

Event-Related Potentials-ERPs are very small changes in electrical activity of the brain that are elicited by specific stimuli presented to the participant (e.g. a picture).

+A strength of using ERPs is their high temporal resolution
-A limitation of using ERPs is they only detect activity in the superficial layer

POST-MORTEM EXAMINATIONS

• analysis of a person’s brain after their death

+A strength of post-mortem examinations is they investigate deeper areas of the brain

-One limitation using post-mortem examinations is the post-mortem delay
-struggle with issue of causation
Interrobang
Badges: 20
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by neelamm0001)
SCANNING TECHNIQUES

Functional Magnetic Resonance Imaging -Indirectly measures electrical activity of neurons by recording changes in brain blood flow while a person completes a task.

Electroencephalogram-Directly and continually measures general electrical activity of neurons during brain states such as sleep and arousal.

Event-Related Potentials-ERPs are very small changes in electrical activity of the brain that are elicited by specific stimuli presented to the participant (e.g. a picture).

-A limitation of using ERPs is they only detect activity in the superficial layer

POST-MORTEM EXAMINATIONS

+A strength of post-mortem examinations is they investigate deeper areas of the brain

Do you have a question?
neelamm0001
Rep:
(Original post by Interrobang)
Do you have a question?
A question for?
Slovenian
Badges: 11
Rep:
Report 9 months ago
SCANNING TECHNIQUES

POST-MORTEM EXAMINATIONS

Interesting!
Interrobang
Rep:
Report 9 months ago
A question for?
Usually this forum is to ask questions about something you aren't sure of related to a subject, but you've just put some information on ways you can look at the brain
neelamm0001
Rep:
Usually this forum is to ask questions about something you aren't sure of related to a subject, but you've just put some information on ways you can look at the brain
Oh really , I’m new to this, I didn’t realise
neelamm0001
Rep:
How do I know which forum I’m on?
Interrobang
Rep:
Report 9 months ago
How do I know which forum I’m on?
If you scroll to the top of the page, just above your title for the thread it tells you (starts 'My TSR ->')
neelamm0001
Rep:
If you scroll to the top of the page, just above your title for the thread it tells you (starts 'My TSR ->')
I seee, can u change it? Or can I only change it before posting it
Interrobang
Rep:
Report 9 months ago
I seee, can u change it? Or can I only change it before posting it
If a thread is in the wrong place, you can report it to be moved (on the right side of the screen on each post), although this is the most appropriate forum for this as it is about the subject
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What is your favourite revision method?

Taking notes manually (53)
21.63%
Note taking apps (6)
2.45%
Flashcards (47)
19.18%
Revision guides (15)
6.12%
Past papers (116)
47.35%
Something else (let us know in the thread) (8)
3.27%

Watched Threads