loishcarter
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
Hello!
I haven't seen a thread for this (although I could be wrong!)
I thought this thread could be a place for those who have an offer from KCL for 2021 entry and are planning on commuting as supposed to living on student accommodation to get to know each other and to potentially make friends with fellow commuters!
I'll start -
Hi, I'm Lois and I have an offer from KCL to study Law LLB! I am planning to commute to London, which will be about an hour for me! :cute:
Last edited by loishcarter; 3 weeks ago
Listix.
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Hi Lois,
I’ll be commuting too, but as I’m studying nursing and live in zone 2 I’m cycling so I doubt we’d ever meet from campuses as I presume you’d be based somewhere else?
loishcarter
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Listix.)
Hi Lois,
I’ll be commuting too, but as I’m studying nursing and live in zone 2 I’m cycling so I doubt we’d ever meet from campuses as I presume you’d be based somewhere else?
Hi!
Yes, I am based outside of London!
Listix.
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by loishcarter)
Hi!
Yes, I am based outside of London!
I understood that; I meant your campus at KCL if you accept the offer. Mine would be Waterloo I believe. Where would yours be? Did you not want to stay in halls?
skamfan
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Hey, I'm a fellow commuter however I'm a mature student in my 20's so living in student accommodation would be my worst nightmare lol, quite happy to commute from home! I live in Zone 2 about 30 minutes away, not too bad.
Listix.
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by skamfan)
Hey, I'm a fellow commuter however I'm a mature student in my 20's so living in student accommodation would be my worst nightmare lol, quite happy to commute from home! I live in Zone 2 about 30 minutes away, not too bad.
That’s good! Student accommodation now would be my worst nightmare too! What are you studying?
skamfan
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
That’s good! Student accommodation now would be my worst nightmare too! What are you studying?
I’m studying Modern Languages (French & Spanish), so I’ll be based at The Strand campus, I’m guessing you’ll be based at Waterloo if you’re studying nursing? Are you a mature student too or is student accommodation just not for you? I won’t be cycling like yourself haha but the commute is pretty straightforward, I live a short walk away from a big station and then it’s just one change on the tube and a five minute walk from there to campus so I’m pretty happy! And beyond excited to be studying at King’s

Édit: just saw that you mentioned you’d be based at Waterloo
Last edited by skamfan; 3 weeks ago
Listix.
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I’m studying Modern Languages (French & Spanish), so I’ll be based at The Strand campus, I’m guessing you’ll be based at Waterloo if you’re studying nursing? Are you a mature student too or is student accommodation just not for you? I won’t be cycling like yourself haha but the commute is pretty straightforward, I live a short walk away from a big station and then it’s just one change on the tube and a five minute walk from there to campus so I’m pretty happy! And beyond excited to be studying at King’s

Édit: just saw that you mentioned you’d be based at Waterloo
That’s awesome! I am a mature student. I live in zone 2 as well. The cycle is pretty easygoing for me. As long as my bike doesn’t get stolen! The Strand campus looks so good! I used to work near there. Never been inside though. What made you decide to go to (or back to) uni?
skamfan
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
That’s awesome! I am a mature student. I live in zone 2 as well. The cycle is pretty easygoing for me. As long as my bike doesn’t get stolen! The Strand campus looks so good! I used to work near there. Never been inside though. What made you decide to go to (or back to) uni?
Well when I was 18 I had zero interest in university if I'm honest: I dropped out of college before finishing my A Levels and went straight into work. Some might say that was a bad decision but at that time I just wasn't interested in education and had no idea what I wanted to do with my future let alone what to study at uni! When I turned 21 however my mum got cancer and it really made me rethink about what I wanted out of life, and I ended up enrolling on an Access Course in Humanities and Social Sciences so I could get into university. I managed to ace the course with all distinctions and got a place at university to study primary school teaching, but my mum died as a result of her cancer a few months prior to me starting uni, so I dropped out after a few months. I ended up taking a few language modules with The Open University instead as I'd always had an interest in languages, it was more to keep me busy than anything else but I really fell in love with it and knew I wanted to study languages full-time in a brick uni if I could (there's a lack of immersion studying online and alone with The OU, although little did I know this would be a problem for everyone when Covid hit!).

In the end I ended up moving to London late last year (I'm from Sheffield originally) as it had always been a dream of mine and the pandemic kind of gave me the time and the push to just do it as I was furloughed from work for months. I applied to UCL, KCL, QMUL and Birkbeck in January thinking why not, my chances of getting into any of them aren't great but I've got nothing to lose and I can just continue with my OU modules if I'm not successful. Fast-forward 3 months and I got unconditional offers from all of them except UCL, I was over the moon! King's was always the obvious choice for me given its prestige, location and international reputation, and after researching the course I felt it was definitely the best fit for me. I know some of the snobs on here give it a bad rep but my experience with King's so far has been great, they communicated with me throughout the application process to ensure I got a fair chance at a place (unlike a certain other university lol).

So I guess this is technically round 3 of giving uni life a go for me, but I'm in a much better place (mentally and literally lol) than I was before and I've never been more excited to start student life again! I'm wanting to merge my previous interest in teaching with my interest in languages by hopefully becoming a ML teacher when I finish my degree (and PGCE)!

That was a longer reply than I anticipated but I guess my life and history with uni is quite a complex one! What made you want to go (back) to uni as a mature student? Also, I really admire anyone who chooses to study Nursing... my mum was a nurse and studied Nursing (as a mature student also!) before she died. It's a difficult but rewarding career, I know my mum loved it even though she didn't get to do it as long as she would've liked because of cancer. So I wish you every success!
Listix.
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Well when I was 18 I had zero interest in university if I'm honest: I dropped out of college before finishing my A Levels and went straight into work. Some might say that was a bad decision but at that time I just wasn't interested in education and had no idea what I wanted to do with my future let alone what to study at uni! When I turned 21 however my mum got cancer and it really made me rethink about what I wanted out of life, and I ended up enrolling on an Access Course in Humanities and Social Sciences so I could get into university. I managed to ace the course with all distinctions and got a place at university to study primary school teaching, but my mum died as a result of her cancer a few months prior to me starting uni, so I dropped out after a few months. I ended up taking a few language modules with The Open University instead as I'd always had an interest in languages, it was more to keep me busy than anything else but I really fell in love with it and knew I wanted to study languages full-time in a brick uni if I could (there's a lack of immersion studying online and alone with The OU, although little did I know this would be a problem for everyone when Covid hit!).

In the end I ended up moving to London late last year (I'm from Sheffield originally) as it had always been a dream of mine and the pandemic kind of gave me the time and the push to just do it as I was furloughed from work for months. I applied to UCL, KCL, QMUL and Birkbeck in January thinking why not, my chances of getting into any of them aren't great but I've got nothing to lose and I can just continue with my OU modules if I'm not successful. Fast-forward 3 months and I got unconditional offers from all of them except UCL, I was over the moon! King's was always the obvious choice for me given its prestige, location and international reputation, and after researching the course I felt it was definitely the best fit for me. I know some of the snobs on here give it a bad rep but my experience with King's so far has been great, they communicated with me throughout the application process to ensure I got a fair chance at a place (unlike a certain other university lol).

So I guess this is technically round 3 of giving uni life a go for me, but I'm in a much better place (mentally and literally lol) than I was before and I've never been more excited to start student life again! I'm wanting to merge my previous interest in teaching with my interest in languages by hopefully becoming a ML teacher when I finish my degree (and PGCE)!

That was a longer reply than I anticipated but I guess my life and history with uni is quite a complex one! What made you want to go (back) to uni as a mature student? Also, I really admire anyone who chooses to study Nursing... my mum was a nurse and studied Nursing (as a mature student also!) before she died. It's a difficult but rewarding career, I know my mum loved it even though she didn't get to do it as long as she would've liked because of cancer. So I wish you every success!
Wow! What a beautiful, heartfelt and also heartbreaking but uplifting journey you’ve had!
Congratulations for everything you’ve achieved. My journey was similar in some ways but also very different.
I am now officially 30. I don’t feel it but that’s what my birth certificate will tell you!
I worked in hospitality for the past 13 years. Then I handed in my notice and as I was a senior manager that meant 3 months of notice. A week or so in, coincided with lockdown, so I knew I wasn’t getting a new job in hospitality. I applied for loads of jobs and also became an nhs responder. Then I got an interview with a care company. Got the job and it changed my life.
I became a carer and knew immediately this is my vocation. I’ve been surrounded my whole life with people who have mental health issues and I took two months out of work a while back to look after my grandmother in another country when she had Alzheimer’s. I was so grateful to get the acceptance from King’s, I hope to be better than some of the people I’ve seen and half as good as the most incredible nurses I’ve seen.
I’m so sorry about your mother. If there was a PM or DM thing here I think we’d have a lot in common. But huge congratulations again for all of your hard work!!! You should be so proud!
Becky2305
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Hey, I'm a mature student so I'm planning on commuting too! I'm studying Adult Nursing which is based at the Waterloo campus and is actually my second degree, so i've definitely been there, done that with halls.

I'm commuting from the coast so it'll take me an hour to get there.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should 'Mental health support' be included on league tables?

Yes (100)
72.46%
No (38)
27.54%

Watched Threads