The Student Room Group

I'm from Slovenia...AMA!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Illman.
Do you have covid restrictions over there?

Yes, although they will be eased this month which is good!
Reply 21
Original post by Slovenian
Yes, although they will be eased this month which is good!

What restrictions?
Reply 22
Original post by the bear
žlikrofi look delicious

zlik.png

They are! You should definitely try them if you visit, though you will see them offered everywhere haha
Reply 23
Original post by Illman.
What restrictions?

We had an 11-day lockdown until two days ago though schools are now open again, and ski resorts and some 'outdoor hospitality' in most regions
Thank you, that's nice of you to say! Have you visited? :smile: The food is kind of a blend of Italian and Balkan dishes! We have a lot of pasta, dumplings, also sausages also flatbreads that are really similar to focaccia. There's a lot of overlap with neighbouring countries so it's quite an interesting cuisine haha

No unfortunately, , just very interested in geography and languages, but ooh makes sense to where it is, love how the central and Eastern European countries are a mixture of various other cultures, makes them really interesting and unique. Sounds very tasty though.

I plan on doing a Balkan tour, starting in Berlin going down the Eastern countries. Then doing a Mediterranean one from Venice down the western coast, through Slovenia to Greece. Some time when this covid stuffs all over.
Reply 25
We had an 11-day lockdown until two days ago though schools are now open again, and ski resorts and some 'outdoor hospitality' in most regions

That's alright I guess
Reply 26
Original post by Zürich
Ever feel guilty that Slovenia lucked out of the wars of the 1990s ?

Also, I think this is rather offensive
Have you experienced any culture shocks in the UK?
Hi! I speak Slovenian, Serbo-Croatian (which is v similar), English and German :smile:

Thanks - that’s incredible :smile:
Reply 29
Original post by Max1989
No unfortunately, , just very interested in geography and languages, but ooh makes sense to where it is, love how the central and Eastern European countries are a mixture of various other cultures, makes them really interesting and unique. Sounds very tasty though.

I plan on doing a Balkan tour, starting in Berlin going down the Eastern countries. Then doing a Mediterranean one from Venice down the western coast, through Slovenia to Greece. Some time when this covid stuffs all over.

Ah that sounds super fun! Yes that sounds like a great idea, it's very easy to travel everywhere by rail from Venice . I've taken the train to Trieste from where I live many times too :smile:
Reply 30
Original post by jenerous
Have you experienced any culture shocks in the UK?

Well I suppose, London is completely different from any city I've been to/lived in, and also very expensive compared to Slovenia haha:biggrin: I do really like living in London though (although I am back home during lockdown). I think the food is rather...strange I guess? Not really weird but Im not sure what British food consists of outside the dishes like meat with vegetables :confused:
Well I suppose, London is completely different from any city I've been to/lived in, and also very expensive compared to Slovenia haha:biggrin: I do really like living in London though (although I am back home during lockdown). I think the food is rather...strange I guess? Not really weird but Im not sure what British food consists of outside the dishes like meat with vegetables :confused:

I second that. Although my complaint would be that it's too bland and it looks like a lazy mishmash of random food ingredients put together.
Reply 32
Original post by jenerous
I second that. Although my complaint would be that it's too bland and it looks like a lazy mishmash of random food ingredients put together.

I suppose it is a little bland haha...we use a lot more ingredients/old recipes that have more flavour and tradition I think. Even young people, will cook these dishes like zlikrofi haha. The food is far more international in the UK though, lots of indian and chinese which is quite rare here, and a much bigger ready meal selection
what european countries did you visit
Reply 34
Original post by the_cosmo_guy
what european countries did you visit

I’ve been to all the ex Yugoslav countries, Greece, Bulgaria, Romania, Austria, Italy, Germany, Netherlands, UK, France, Belgium, Poland, Denmark, Switzerland, Spain, Portugal, Cyprus and the Czech Republic. So quite a few lol but Slovenia borders a lot of countries tbf
Also, I think this is rather offensive

Deal with it.

Quick Reply

Latest