The Student Room Group

Should I dropout of my A levels and work abroad?

Hello everyone, I’m a re take student for A levels at 18, I finish my A levels at 20. This is my chance to do them for free, I’m not a very academic person, but I’m scoring quite average on my KA’s such as B,B,C or C,C,B. This is also my first year.
If I were to work abroad and return to the UK, would I be able to do my A levels online when I’m back in Britain, as in pay for them? Or would I no longer be eligible for support into college? I need advice.
Reply 1
If it makes you happy and things are going to go well then yes
Reply 2
Original post by Illman.
If it makes you happy and things are going to go well then yes

Well, it would make me happy but my concern is when I come back? I don’t even have a maths GCSE, I only have English LIT, Lang and 5 other GCSEs.
Reply 3
Original post by Zoeeyyyxx
Well, it would make me happy but my concern is when I come back? I don’t even have a maths GCSE, I only have English LIT, Lang and 5 other GCSEs.

Retake maths then go?
Reply 4
Original post by Illman.
Retake maths then go?

Ah god, that be difficult, I really despise maths. But the job is low end, it’s to work in a ski resort.
I wouldn't recommend going abroad then coming back to finish your A-levels. Try and finish them off now if possible

Will you be able to support yourself abroad? Do you have family abroad?

What are you future plans? Do you want to go to university?

A lot of things to think about
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 6
Hello everyone, I’m a re take student for A levels at 18, I finish my A levels at 20. This is my chance to do them for free, I’m not a very academic person, but I’m scoring quite average on my KA’s such as B,B,C or C,C,B. This is also my first year.
If I were to work abroad and return to the UK, would I be able to do my A levels online when I’m back in Britain, as in pay for them? Or would I no longer be eligible for support into college? I need advice.

What do you have in mind as a career in the long term?

I would be inclined to advise you to stick with your A Levels and not to go abroad for work until you have finished them.
Reply 7
Original post by Incede
I wouldn't recommend going abroad then coming back to finish your A-levels. Try and finish them off now if possible

Will you be able to support yourself abroad? Do you have family abroad?

What are you future plans? Do you want to go to university?

A lot of things to think about

I don’t plan to go university, but I also want to do an internship abroad.
well the main reason I want to take this opportunity is, my family relationship is horrible. And they’re very controlling, so I want to be away from them.
Reply 8
Ah god, that be difficult, I really despise maths. But the job is low end, it’s to work in a ski resort.

Well you are going to need maths for anything, weather you go abroad or not, you need English and Maths to even work at McDonald's. You aren't going to get anywhere without maths gcse, no one likes it but you have to do it
(edited 2 years ago)
Can't you just go abroad another time? Get the hard work out of the way and then go on a grand adventure?

Don't get me wrong, I understand the appeal of working abroad, I intend to do that myself at some point, but the long term has to come first.
I don’t plan to go university, but I also want to do an internship abroad.
well the main reason I want to take this opportunity is, my family relationship is horrible. And they’re very controlling, so I want to be away from them.

You should seriously weigh up your options cause this is a big decision.

How will you support yourself alone a new foreign place financially and mentally? What are the job prospects after the internship? If you think it’s viable then choose carefully.

It’s probably better to get some qualifications and experience in the uk first and then move abroad. Could you move to a uk city away from your family?
Take your exams.It will give you more choices in the future.

Quick Reply