The Student Room Group

RHUL vs City for Law

Hi everyone!

I made a post before, but due to a variety of reasons, I thought it'd be better to make another post focusing more on my specific question. I want to become a barrister and focus on criminal law, but I am stuck on which uni I should go to.

I see that a lot of people are comparing extremely reputable universities with Royal Holloway (Durham, Manchester, QMUL to name a few), and I am hearing great things about the societies there (not to mention the lovely atmosphere of the campus). On the other hand, I don't see many people talk about City university, and it seems to be at the bottom 10 of any league tables I've seen for law in the UK. This confuses me as I don't understand how a uni that made Cass (aka one of the best business schools in Europe) could possibly be so bad for law, and also somehow be in central London. The location seems to be perfect for aspiring lawyers, and if not for the league tables and the lack of people talking about it, I wouldn't have thought anything was wrong with the uni.

Could anyone recommend either uni or perhaps clarify whether going to either of these will close any doors for me? Despite the tone of my post, I am very torn as to which one I should go to and I'd appreciate any inputs.
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by IB.Makes.Me.Cry
Hi everyone!

I made a post before, but due to a variety of reasons, I thought it'd be better to make another post focusing more on my specific question. I want to become a barrister and focus on criminal law, but I am stuck on which uni I should go to.

I see that a lot of people are comparing extremely reputable universities with Royal Holloway (Durham, Manchester, QMUL to name a few), and I am hearing great things about the societies there (not to mention the lovely atmosphere of the campus). On the other hand, I don't see many people talk about City university, and it seems to be at the bottom 10 of any league tables I've seen for law in the UK. This confuses me as I don't understand how a uni that made Cass (aka one of the best business schools in Europe) could possibly be so bad for law, and also somehow be in central London. The location seems to be perfect for aspiring lawyers, and if not for the league tables and the lack of people talking about it, I wouldn't have thought anything was wrong with the uni.

Could anyone recommend either uni or perhaps clarify whether going to either of these will close any doors for me? Despite the tone of my post, I am very torn as to which one I should go to and I'd appreciate any inputs.

I can't say much for comparison but I think it depends on what the school specializes e.g Warwick with law and econ and QMUL with med and law departments
I want to do law too but I personally didn't apply to them as I want to move out and I think those universities are highly esteemed as they're constantly top in ranking and have high requirements
also people who come from those universities tend to dominate getting training contracts in London (magic circle firms etc)
they're both universities that will get you a good law degree it just depends on certain things as from what I've seen on TSR law has university prestige
what does a law school have to do with a business school. if you think the business school is so good, go study there?

there are people who study 100kms away from london and they still get TCs and pupillage while people at City Uni, London Met, etc are on benefits. location isn't as important as you think it is lol

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending