help your local unsure girlie with her a-levels options

Watch
bad.b
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
I'm going to sixth form next year and I chose History, English Lit., and Psychology. I still don't know what career I want to pursue, however my options for university are either law or physcology/phychiatry (for now). I know that you can study law with these subjects, but I'm not sure about psychology or psychiatry.
Last edited by bad.b; 3 weeks ago
cleveranimal56
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Psychology is referred to as a soft subject by others in my school, but I'm not completely sure on that. And are you sure about two essay subjects? Couldn't you drop one and take like maths or something?
Levi.-
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by cleveranimal56)
Psychology is referred to as a soft subject by others in my school, but I'm not completely sure on that. And are you sure about two essay subjects? Couldn't you drop one and take like maths or something?
think its increasingly being considered a semi-solid science. Maths is a good shout but only if you are good at it otherwise its just hard
_Mia101
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by bad.b)
I'm going to sixth form next year and I chose History, English Lit., and Psychology. I still don't know what career I want to pursue, however my options for university are either law or physcology/phychiatry (for now). I know that you can study law with these subjects, but I'm not sure about psychology or psychiatry.
If you want to do psychiatry you need to do a medical degree. Therefore I'd advise you have at least A-level chemistry and ideally A-level biology as well. If you have only one of chem/bio you'll have a few unis available to you. With both you can apply to any medical schools (assuming you meet other criteria) and with neither you only have Nottingham and maybe some access courses open to you.

For a psychology degree, you will need at least one science - for which psychology is generally considered one (if you're doing a psych degree). However I don't know of any uni that requires psychology and some prefer biology and maths. eg King's:

Required subjects: At least one of Biology, Chemistry, Mathematics, Physics or Psychology.
Preferred subjects: Biology and Mathematics
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should 'Mental health support' be included on league tables?

Yes (195)
75%
No (65)
25%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed