Struggle with AQA alevel organic chemistry

Watch
omar200329
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 months ago
final year of alevels and still dont really get organic chem ive got 4 papers coming up 2 of which are gonna be on organic and i would appreciate any help/advice people can give me. Thank you.
BDavies1
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by omar200329)
final year of alevels and still dont really get organic chem ive got 4 papers coming up 2 of which are gonna be on organic and i would appreciate any help/advice people can give me. Thank you.
draw lots of diagrams of structures when you are working, don't try and do things in your head.

e.g. when you see something like CH3COOCH2CH2CH3 written down in one line in a question, turn it into a displayed formula (i.e. showing every bond)

Set yourself a task like drawing all the isomers of C5H10O2 that you can. Identify the functional groups, try and name the molecules.

Cover up your notes/text book and try and draw things from memory
Hellllpppp
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Make sure you know all the mechanisms and reaction pathways, it can help to make your own map of reaction pathways. https://chemrevise.files.wordpress.c...el-summary.pdf

Practice exam questions there are some on physics and maths tutor and some on https://www.a-levelchemistry.co.uk/a...chemistry.html

Are there any areas you’re finding particularly difficult?
omar200329
Rep:
?
(Original post by Hellllpppp)
Make sure you know all the mechanisms and reaction pathways, it can help to make your own map of reaction pathways. https://chemrevise.files.wordpress.c...el-summary.pdf

Practice exam questions there are some on physics and maths tutor and some on https://www.a-levelchemistry.co.uk/a...chemistry.html

Are there any areas you’re finding particularly difficult?
Mostly the electrophilic and neuclophilic reactions, mechanisms and aromatic chemistry
omar200329
Rep:
?
(Original post by BDavies1)
draw lots of diagrams of structures when you are working, don't try and do things in your head.

e.g. when you see something like CH3COOCH2CH2CH3 written down in one line in a question, turn it into a displayed formula (i.e. showing every bond)

Set yourself a task like drawing all the isomers of C5H10O2 that you can. Identify the functional groups, try and name the molecules.

Cover up your notes/text book and try and draw things from memory
Thank you yeah Do you know where i can get questions like that?
mxx454
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
I really struggled with organic chemistry too this year. What i did to revise it is print out chemrevise notes, then i watched Eliot Rintoul on youtube he has really good videos especially for organic chemistry. Then do all the exam questions on alevelchemistry.co.uk. Once you do a lot of practice the questions will be way easier trust me.
Hellllpppp
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Mostly the electrophilic and neuclophilic reactions, mechanisms and aromatic chemistry
The chem revise sheet should help then, with aromatic chemistry is it the associated mechanics or the structure of benzene/concept of aromaticity that you’re struggling with?

Remember a nucleophile has a lone pair of electrons and is attracted to a positive charge - this can be a just partially positive like the carbon in a carbon-halogen bond of a haloalkane. Nucleophiles include NH3 (or amines), OH- (in aqueous solutions) and CN-.

Electrophiles have a positive charge. Electrophilic reaction occur with benzene and alkene as the bonds are areas of high electron density.
omar200329
Rep:
?
(Original post by Hellllpppp)
The chem revise sheet should help then, with aromatic chemistry is it the associated mechanics or the structure of benzene/concept of aromaticity that you’re struggling with?

Remember a nucleophile has a lone pair of electrons and is attracted to a positive charge - this can be a just partially positive like the carbon in a carbon-halogen bond of a haloalkane. Nucleophiles include NH3 (or amines), OH- (in aqueous solutions) and CN-.

Electrophiles have a positive charge. Electrophilic reaction occur with benzene and alkene as the bonds are areas of high electron density.
Its mainly the reactions and remembering which way to draw them. Thank you for your help
omar200329
Rep:
?
(Original post by mxx454)
I really struggled with organic chemistry too this year. What i did to revise it is print out chemrevise notes, then i watched Eliot Rintoul on youtube he has really good videos especially for organic chemistry. Then do all the exam questions on alevelchemistry.co.uk. Once you do a lot of practice the questions will be way easier trust me.
Yeah i like eliot rintoul he does help but when it comes to the exam question i feel like idk whats going on
mxx454
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Yeah i like eliot rintoul he does help but when it comes to the exam question i feel like idk whats going on
Yeah it’s just about practice tbh it gets easier. Look at the mark scheme and make sure you know exactly where you went wrong so you know if you got a similar question you’d get it right. And memorise the mechanisms/reagants and also the different tests. Those are easy 4/5 marks especially the mechanisms.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What support do you need with your UCAS application?

I need help researching unis (25)
13.66%
I need help researching courses (12)
6.56%
I need help with filling out the application form (9)
4.92%
I need help with my personal statement (76)
41.53%
I need help with understanding how to make my application stand out (44)
24.04%
I need help with something else (let us know in the thread!) (3)
1.64%
I'm feeling confident about my application and don't need any help at the moment (14)
7.65%

Watched Threads