PGCE Loan Eligibility: MFL with QTS

Watch this thread
falcon66
Badges: 4
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Help!!!
My wife, Argentinian, has an offer of a place at Chester University, Sept 2021.
I am a UK Citizen.
We married in 2015 and lived in Spain from Feb 2017 until Dec 2017 and both aquired EU residence status.
We have lived at the same address on Merseyside since 27/1/2018.
My wife has Pre-settled status ( on the basis of her UK Residence Card, EU Residence/Family Member).This was all done under the Surinder Singh rules.

An initial enquiry to Student Finance told us that an application for just tuition fees could be made. It would be a paper application and the forms were not yet available ( this was early March). A subsequent enquiry asking for more info re this ( late March) led to a change of advice; my wife could now apply for both tuition and maintenance loans on the PN1 form. Links were provided and an application was made.

Problems quickly arose and it seems that I made a mistake in classing myself as an EU citizen, who had been and would be looking for work. I did this because I was thinking of the Surinder Singh rules that we obtained the UK Residence Card under, i.e, I was treated as an EU citizen who had been exercising treaty rights in Spain. Various requests for info then occurred and this culminated in us being told that a new application on the EU form ( still not available ) just for tuition fees was the way forward.

On thinking more about this I'm not clear which is the correct form.
Student Finance have the following evidence re eligibility:
1. My wife's UK Residence Card
2. Our marriage certificate with Spanish translation and apostille.
3.Details of her Pre-settled Status plus sharecode
4. My UK passport

They have details of my income ( just from pensions and well under the threshold for maintenance loans.

Can anyone shed light on this please?
Amy SFE
Badges: 9
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by falcon66)
Help!!!
My wife, Argentinian, has an offer of a place at Chester University, Sept 2021.
I am a UK Citizen.
We married in 2015 and lived in Spain from Feb 2017 until Dec 2017 and both aquired EU residence status.
We have lived at the same address on Merseyside since 27/1/2018.
My wife has Pre-settled status ( on the basis of her UK Residence Card, EU Residence/Family Member).This was all done under the Surinder Singh rules.

An initial enquiry to Student Finance told us that an application for just tuition fees could be made. It would be a paper application and the forms were not yet available ( this was early March). A subsequent enquiry asking for more info re this ( late March) led to a change of advice; my wife could now apply for both tuition and maintenance loans on the PN1 form. Links were provided and an application was made.

Problems quickly arose and it seems that I made a mistake in classing myself as an EU citizen, who had been and would be looking for work. I did this because I was thinking of the Surinder Singh rules that we obtained the UK Residence Card under, i.e, I was treated as an EU citizen who had been exercising treaty rights in Spain. Various requests for info then occurred and this culminated in us being told that a new application on the EU form ( still not available ) just for tuition fees was the way forward.

On thinking more about this I'm not clear which is the correct form.
Student Finance have the following evidence re eligibility:
1. My wife's UK Residence Card
2. Our marriage certificate with Spanish translation and apostille.
3.Details of her Pre-settled Status plus sharecode
4. My UK passport

They have details of my income ( just from pensions and well under the threshold for maintenance loans.

Can anyone shed light on this please?
Hi,

What application did she make when you provided the above evidence?

Thanks, Amy
falcon66
Rep:
(Original post by Amy SFE)
Hi,

What application did she make when you provided the above evidence?

Thanks, Amy
Hello Amy,
It was on the PN1 form.
Amy SFE
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
Hello Amy,
It was on the PN1 form.
Thank you,

Can you confirm are you a UK National?

Thanks, Amy
falcon66
Rep:
Thank you,

Can you confirm are you a UK National?

Thanks, Amy
Yes, I am a UK national.
Amy SFE
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
Yes, I am a UK national.
Thank you for confirming.

From the 2021/22 Academic Year Home Student funding will be available to non-UK national family members of UK nationals. The following criteria must be met;

- Both the UK national and the family member must have been resident in the EEA or Switzerland at the end of the transition period (on 31st December 2020 or before, as long as they both returned to the UK on or after 1 January 2018 immediately after a period of residence in the EEA/Switzerland).

- Both the UK national and the family member must have been ordinarily resident in the UK, Gibraltar, the EEA and Switzerland for three years prior to the first day of the first AY of the course.

Do you meet the above criteria?

Thanks, Amy
falcon66
Rep:
Thanks Amy,
We were living in Spain from 23/2/17 until 21/12/17. On the latter day we came to the UK and have resided here since. So, we were in the EEA before the end of the transition period but came to the UK a bit before 1/1/18. Any thoughts please?
Amy SFE
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
Thanks Amy,
We were living in Spain from 23/2/17 until 21/12/17. On the latter day we came to the UK and have resided here since. So, we were in the EEA before the end of the transition period but came to the UK a bit before 1/1/18. Any thoughts please?
You're welcome.

If you get your partner to send us a DM on one of our social media channels we can look at her application and check what our assessors have noted.

Thanks, Amy
falcon66
Rep:
You're welcome.

If you get your partner to send us a DM on one of our social media channels we can look at her application and check what our assessors have noted.

Thanks, Amy
OK Amy, she'll use Twitter and see where that gets us. Thanks for your help.
Amy SFE
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
You're welcome 😊 If you have any further questions please do not hesitate to contact us.

One of the team can look into her account and advise further.

Thanks, Amy
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Has advance information helped during your exams?

Yes (70)
66.67%
No (26)
24.76%
I didn't use it to prepare (9)
8.57%

Watched Threads