NH4Cl structure

Watch this thread
sara.m12
Badges: 16
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Can anyone explain how to answer this q?
Attached files
Last edited by sara.m12; 1 year ago
Yazomi
Badges: 21
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by sara.m12)
Can anyone explain how to answer this q?
Do you know what a dative covalent bond is?
Last edited by Yazomi; 1 year ago
sara.m12
Rep:
(Original post by Yazomi)
Do you know what a dative covalent bond is?
Yeh but I can’t figure out how to show it for nh4cl
Yazomi
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
Mmmmmm actually I’m not too sure either sorry😅I would have thought there’s single bond throughout the whole thing
pipthesqueak
Badges: 15
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
the question doesn't ask for you to draw out the shape, it's just wanting you to explain what a dative covalent bond is and relate it to NH4Cl : ))
pipthesqueak
Badges: 15
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
if a question does ever ask for you to draw out the shape, you indicate a dative covalent bond by an arrow pointing from the atom donating the electrons to the atom it's being donated to
Yazomi
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
Oooo I think if one of the surrounding atoms is an ion that would work out
xsowmix
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
there is a dative covalent bond in nh4+ but nh4cl as a whole molecule is ionic because the bonding between nh4+ and cl-

hopefully that makes more sense
sara.m12
Rep:
(Original post by xsowmix)
there is a dative covalent bond in nh4+ but nh4cl as a whole molecule is ionic because the bonding between nh4+ and cl-

Is it possible if you could draw it out?
R u saying that N donates both electrons to one of the + hydrogens? If so I get that but the cl- is confusing me. Does cl have an extra electron?
sara.m12
Rep:

is this correct?
Attached files
xsowmix
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
is this correct?
no it shld look like this
Name:  01ADEB93-32E5-4BB1-89C7-03CE270D911E_4_5005_c.jpeg
Views: 11
Size:  19.0 KB
so basically the nitrogen atom in nh3 donates an electron to a hydrogen atom hence forming a dative covalent bond
this leads to that hydrogen atom transferring one of its electrons to chlorine which forms an ionic bond
Last edited by xsowmix; 1 year ago
sara.m12
Rep:
no it shld look like this
Name:  01ADEB93-32E5-4BB1-89C7-03CE270D911E_4_5005_c.jpeg
Views: 11
Size:  19.0 KB
so basically the nitrogen atom in nh3 donates an electron to a hydrogen atom hence forming a dative covalent bond
this leads to that hydrogen atom transferring one of its electrons to chlorine which forms an ionic bond
Thank u!!! I get it now
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

How did The Student Room help you with your university application?

Talking to current university students (8)
23.53%
Talking to peers going through the same thing (11)
32.35%
Speaking to student ambassadors from the universities (2)
5.88%
Speaking to staff members from universities (0)
0%
Using the personal statement builder, library or helper service (3)
8.82%
Reading articles about what steps to take (6)
17.65%
Learning about/speaking to Student Finance England (2)
5.88%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (2)
5.88%

Watched Threads