HOW ON EARTH to revise ENGLISH LITERATURE??????

Watch
yourworthit1001
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
Hey! Im currently in year 10 and have no clue how to revise for english lit. Im aiming for 8s and 9s in my gcses. I am studying romeo and juliet, christmas carol and animal farm. If anyone has any resources or tips please share; im desperate. Have a nice day, hope everyone and their families are well xx
user6842344
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
learn the quotes

PEEZ for essays
yourworthit1001
Rep:
?
(Original post by user6842344)
learn the quotes

PEEZ for essays
The thing is im having trouble deciding which quotes will be useful!!!!!! I dont want to learn quotes i will never use
Slowcooker
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Hi, I'm currently in year 13 and got a 9 in english lit (#flex) so hopefully I can help.

I did OCR so I'm not sure if it's the same for you but we didn't get to have the books in the exam. So first and foremost, I think it's important to make a list of all the useful quotes and memorise them (very arduous process) and if you want to hack it learn the analyses for those quotes if you're not very good at analysis.
IlikeDonerKebab
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Shake this pear
yourworthit1001
Rep:
?
k

(Original post by Slowcooker)
Hi, I'm currently in year 13 and got a 9 in english lit (#flex) so hopefully I can help.

I did OCR so I'm not sure if it's the same for you but we didn't get to have the books in the exam. So first and foremost, I think it's important to make a list of all the useful quotes and memorise them (very arduous process) and if you want to hack it learn the analyses for those quotes if you're not very good at analysis
Thank you! Im doing edexcel. We dont get the book either
Last edited by yourworthit1001; 3 weeks ago
yourworthit1001
Rep:
?
What books did you study???
IlikeDonerKebab
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by IlikeDonerKebab)
Shake this pear
Okeh
Spoiler:
Show
if u didn’t get it
Spoiler:
Show
Shakespeare

Slowcooker
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by yourworthit1001)
What books did you study???
Macbeth, never let me go and great expectations
yourworthit1001
Rep:
?
How many quotes per character did you learn and theme?
Slowcooker
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by IlikeDonerKebab)
Okeh
Spoiler:
Show
if u didn’t get it
Spoiler:
Show
Shakespeare

Lmao god I'm thick
IlikeDonerKebab
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Lmao god I'm thick
Literature man
Slowcooker
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
How many quotes per character did you learn and theme?
Personally I went way overboard and probably learnt too many. I haven't read Romeo and Julliet but if it's similar to Macbeth I would recommend learning the big monologues and soliloquys. For Macbeth quite a lot of it was just irrelevant filler material and so I learnt 2 soliloquys, bits of another soliloquy and maybe around 10 quotes per character scattered throughout the book.

Also there will be quotes that can be used for more than one theme- learn these!! List the themes, quotes for each theme and learn the quotes that come up more than once.

Similarly, look at past papers and you will see there's only certain types of essay questions they can ask and some are more popular than others. So maybe list quotes for each essay and learn the most versatile ones??

Sorry for the rambly answer please ask for clarifications
yourworthit1001
Rep:
?
Thank you so much!!!!!!!!!!
yourworthit1001
Rep:
?
Personally I went way overboard and probably learnt too many. I haven't read Romeo and Julliet but if it's similar to Macbeth I would recommend learning the big monologues and soliloquys. For Macbeth quite a lot of it was just irrelevant filler material and so I learnt 2 soliloquys, bits of another soliloquy and maybe around 10 quotes per character scattered throughout the book.

Also there will be quotes that can be used for more than one theme- learn these!! List the themes, quotes for each theme and learn the quotes that come up more than once.

Similarly, look at past papers and you will see there's only certain types of essay questions they can ask and some are more popular than others. So maybe list quotes for each essay and learn the most versatile ones??

Sorry for the rambly answer please ask for clarifications
Thank you! Also did learning the soliloques come in handy durng gcse?
EliteBoy8
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Hey! Im currently in year 10 and have no clue how to revise for english lit. Im aiming for 8s and 9s in my gcses. I am studying romeo and juliet, christmas carol and animal farm. If anyone has any resources or tips please share; im desperate. Have a nice day, hope everyone and their families are well xx
Well I studied R&J and Animal Farm and I achieved grade 9 so I believe I am qualified to give advice. I would like to say that literally end of year10 mocks I achieved a grade 6 so I improved massively. The key: practice. My teacher was an absolute legend, he would set me 3 essays every weekend (yes, meaning 3 30markers), I would complete those for him over the weekend and then by Friday he would’ve finished marking, graded them and give me feedback on how to improve. Over just a 3-4months I’d say, I went from achieving 18/30 to consistently getting 26+/30. In the end I got the highest in my year for year11 mocks so I definitely think this works. You can find unlimited questions on R&J i remember seeing some file somewhere which had lots of essay questions, search for that on Google. For Animal Farm, honestly I had no idea why teacher picked that for us class, we were the only class in my entire school to be studying this book. But, through all the essays, I discovered that animal farm is actually the easiest book. This is because there is always the same theme to the question, it’s either about power or being oppressed. I’d recommend create two essay plans for animal farms and then practicing making those 30/30 (I only achieved 3, 30/30 essays in my whole time but that feeling is just ahh indescribable). Also, context! Very soon I noticed that context is something that gets you marks quickly and is usually overlooked. Additionally, complex ideas - to get that top band you need to be making sophisticated points, in one of my Animal Farm essay I linked Squealer’s will to survive and satisfy Napoleon to Freud’s psychoanalytic theory of personality. Quotes wise, know 3-4 (try pick out unique ones) and then be able to analyse them for at least half a paragraph. I hope this helps, if I had to give you just one advice it would be to practice and give essays in to your teachers. Maybe try do 2-3 and give it to different English teachers if your main teacher is very busy.
yourworthit1001
Rep:
?
(Original post by EliteBoy8)
Well I studied R&J and Animal Farm and I achieved grade 9 so I believe I am qualified to give advice. I would like to say that literally end of year10 mocks I achieved a grade 6 so I improved massively. The key: practice. My teacher was an absolute legend, he would set me 3 essays every weekend (yes, meaning 3 30markers), I would complete those for him over the weekend and then by Friday he would’ve finished marking, graded them and give me feedback on how to improve. Over just a 3-4months I’d say, I went from achieving 18/30 to consistently getting 26+/30. In the end I got the highest in my year for year11 mocks so I definitely think this works. You can find unlimited questions on R&J i remember seeing some file somewhere which had lots of essay questions, search for that on Google. For Animal Farm, honestly I had no idea why teacher picked that for us class, we were the only class in my entire school to be studying this book. But, through all the essays, I discovered that animal farm is actually the easiest book. This is because there is always the same theme to the question, it’s either about power or being oppressed. I’d recommend create two essay plans for animal farms and then practicing making those 30/30 (I only achieved 3, 30/30 essays in my whole time but that feeling is just ahh indescribable). Also, context! Very soon I noticed that context is something that gets you marks quickly and is usually overlooked. Additionally, complex ideas - to get that top band you need to be making sophisticated points, in one of my Animal Farm essay I linked Squealer’s will to survive and satisfy Napoleon to Freud’s psychoanalytic theory of personality. Quotes wise, know 3-4 (try pick out unique ones) and then be able to analyse them for at least half a paragraph. I hope this helps, if I had to give you just one advice it would be to practice and give essays in to your teachers. Maybe try do 2-3 and give it to different English teachers if your main teacher is very busy.
Thank you so much!!!! Do you have any resources that you used for animal farm and Romeo and Juliet that came handy. Feel free to pm me. I really appreciate the advice. Enjoy your day . I'm struggling with how to revise romeo and Juliet. And also for animal farm did you pick theme. If so what themes did you plan for and if u picked character shall I make an essay plan for each?
Last edited by yourworthit1001; 3 weeks ago
Slowcooker
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Thank you! Also did learning the soliloques come in handy durng gcse?
Yeah, I mainly used quotes from the soliloquys. Good luck with you revision!!! Please feel free to ask more questions
yourworthit1001
Rep:
?
Yeah, I mainly used quotes from the soliloquys. Good luck with you revision!!! Please feel free to ask more questions
Thank you I have a year 10 mock in June or May and I'll update you then
EliteBoy8
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Thank you so much!!!! Do you have any resources that you used for animal farm and Romeo and Juliet that came handy. Feel free to pm me. I really appreciate the advice. Enjoy your day . I'm struggling with how to revise romeo and Juliet. And also for animal farm did you pick theme. If so what themes did you plan for and if u picked character shall I make an essay plan for each?
Check your message, hope it helps.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should 'Mental health support' be included on league tables?

Yes (192)
75%
No (64)
25%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed