Must A-Levels be taken in the same year?

Watch
rjd_20
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
So, earlier this year I returned to college to take my GCSE's as I missed year 11 due to sudden ill health. I applied for English, Maths, Chemistry and Biology. I was accepted onto all but one, Chemistry. Assuming I get the grades needed to move onto A-Level Math and Biology, I still need to spend the next academic year taking GCSE Chemistry. This will lead to a year gap between A-Level results for Math and Biology, and Chemistry. Granted, this is entirely dependent on academic performance and may not be relevant come results day. But hypothetically speaking, if I were to take Maths and Biology as A-Levels and begin Chemistry the following year, would this prevent me from applying to some universities? I have read that various universities require A-Levels to be taken in the same year as it displays an individuals ability to handle larger workloads. So, what I am asking is wether I should continue to take A-Level Maths and Biology, and to take Chemistry in the following year. Or, whether I should wait a year and take all three at the same time. Any advice is greatly appreciated.
Thanks
McGinger
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by rjd_20)
hypothetically speaking, if I were to take Maths and Biology as A-Levels and begin Chemistry the following year, would this prevent me from applying to some universities?
Depends on the University and the course you intend to apply for. Medicine and other competitive courses tend to be more firm about 'one sitting' than others. However, where you have 'mitigating circumstances', these sort of rules can be waived by individual Unis.
When you have decided which Unis you might eventually apply to, just email them and check what their policy is and if they will allow any exceptions.
anonymous#192
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by rjd_20)
So, earlier this year I returned to college to take my GCSE's as I missed year 11 due to sudden ill health. I applied for English, Maths, Chemistry and Biology. I was accepted onto all but one, Chemistry. Assuming I get the grades needed to move onto A-Level Math and Biology, I still need to spend the next academic year taking GCSE Chemistry. This will lead to a year gap between A-Level results for Math and Biology, and Chemistry. Granted, this is entirely dependent on academic performance and may not be relevant come results day. But hypothetically speaking, if I were to take Maths and Biology as A-Levels and begin Chemistry the following year, would this prevent me from applying to some universities? I have read that various universities require A-Levels to be taken in the same year as it displays an individuals ability to handle larger workloads. So, what I am asking is wether I should continue to take A-Level Maths and Biology, and to take Chemistry in the following year. Or, whether I should wait a year and take all three at the same time. Any advice is greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Usually unis require the A-Levels to be taken in the same year, however it is worth asking your school what they think. Also, due to the your sudden ill health unis may make an exception for you. If you know what course you want to apply to or where you want to apply you may want to ring the unis and ask them if they'll make an exception.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

If you haven't confirmed your firm and insurance choices yet, why is that?

I don't want to decide until I've received all my offers (129)
34.96%
I am waiting until the deadline in case anything in my life changes (49)
13.28%
I am waiting until the deadline in case something in the world changes (ie. pandemic-related) (22)
5.96%
I am waiting until I can see the unis in person (36)
9.76%
I still have more questions before I made my decision (49)
13.28%
No reason, just haven't entered it yet (43)
11.65%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (41)
11.11%

Watched Threads