The Student Room Group

Best programming language to learn?

^^
something that's respected and may lead to a high paying job?
I know HTML and python. x
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 1
are you a beginner? python is my favourite. don’t learn java, it will just give you an unnecessary headache lol.
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by sy!¡
are you a beginner? python is my favourite. don’t learn java, it will just give you an unnecessary headache lol.

not a beginner haha
thanks x
Reply 3
Original post by Qxi.xli
^^
something that's respected and may lead to a high paying job?
I already have basic skill in HTML and python. x

The language (syntax) is less important, the projects (design, structures, libraries, ...) you develop are more important. Stick with python and do harder stuff. The BIO and adventofcode "competitions" are good to skill up.
(edited 3 years ago)
c++ or c#
Original post by JAckieee.chan
c++ or c#

Original post by mqb2766
The language (syntax) is less important, the projects (design, structures, libraries, ...) you develop are more important. Stick with python and do harder stuff. The BIO and adventofcode "competitions" are good to skill up.

ok tysmm x
Reply 6
Original post by Qxi.xli
ok tysmm x

What sort of level are you at?
Depends on what you want to do, and what you want to learn. If you want to make stuff, but don't know what specifically, python is a pretty good general purpose language I gather (I think it's like the second or third most commonly used language for a pretty wide range of things). Other languages might be better suited to particular projects perhaps though.

If you want to understand how computers "work" a low level language like C is probably better. Horrible for actually programming anything in practically, but you actually have to think about how memory allocation works in computers and stuff like that which can help you understand some of the concepts that underpin how computers function and "think" about things.

My impression is "collecting" languages is a bit besides the point though (the idea being to just learn one well enough both practically and on a theoretical level that you can then pretty much figure out the syntax of any other language you want to later), and that there is no one overall "best" language for every potential project you'll do (although as above my impression is python is usually a second or third best for almost anything so might be quite usefully flexible as a starting point - I only learned a little bit of python though).
Original post by sy!¡

Haha our teacher did some lessons on it and trust me nothing went through my head
Original post by mqb2766
What sort of level are you at?

erm not really sure tbh. I'm confident I know enough to get an A at A level computer science though, in terms of the pseudo code bit of the paper.
I've done a lot of basic stuff like make a website (just to try it out, was quite easy though) and have done a lot of basic programming stuff like that. I did enter this coding competition and I did qualify for the second round if that means anything at all 🤷 x

Original post by artful_lounger
Depends on what you want to do, and what you want to learn. If you want to make stuff, but don't know what specifically, python is a pretty good general purpose language I gather (I think it's like the second or third most commonly used language for a pretty wide range of things). Other languages might be better suited to particular projects perhaps though.

If you want to understand how computers "work" a low level language like C is probably better. Horrible for actually programming anything in practically, but you actually have to think about how memory allocation works in computers and stuff like that which can help you understand some of the concepts that underpin how computers function and "think" about things.

My impression is "collecting" languages is a bit besides the point though (the idea being to just learn one well enough both practically and on a theoretical level that you can then pretty much figure out the syntax of any other language you want to later), and that there is no one overall "best" language for every potential project you'll do (although as above my impression is python is usually a second or third best for almost anything so might be quite usefully flexible as a starting point - I only learned a little bit of python though).

ok thank you! x :smile:
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by Qxi.xli
erm not really sure tbh. I'm confident I know enough to get an A at A level computer science though, in terms of the pseudo code bit of the paper.
I've done a lot of basic stuff like make a website (just to try it out, was quite easy though) and have done a lot of basic programming stuff like that. I did enter this coding competition and I did qualify for the second round if that means anything at all 🤷 x

ok thank you! x :smile:

It really depends on what you want to do, but if you're not sure, doing something interesting and being passionate about it is often more important than a specific language/skill. There are a lot of jobs in web development and the relevant development frameworks are important. You could look more are the backend algorithms (recursion, functional, search, trees, ..) or regexp/math libraries. Do a project you're interested in. It'll sound better than learning yal (yet another language).
Original post by mqb2766
It really depends on what you want to do, but if you're not sure, doing something interesting and being passionate about it is often more important than a specific language/skill. There are a lot of jobs in web development and the relevant development frameworks are important. You could look more are the backend algorithms (recursion, functional, search, trees, ..) or regexp/math libraries. Do a project you're interested in. It'll sound better than learning yal (yet another language).

tysm xx I'll look into that:smile:
Original post by tedibare
Haha our teacher did some lessons on it and trust me nothing went through my head

fr man :rofl:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending